Sadiq Kahn's direct vision to ban most construction vehicles

Roymondo:
Where does it say that? The article in the link says HGVs are involved in 22.5% of pedestrian fatalities and 58% of cyclist fatalities (despite only accounting for 4% of the miles driven).

That arguably says more about cyclists’ behaviour around trucks.The fact is if the driver is looking in the offside mirrors or ahead while turning left as a cyclist undertakes,it doesn’t matter if the whole front and nearside of the cab is glass.

The only answer is to just not deliver within the M25. Mr Kahn will be strung up on a lamp-post when people can’t buy an artisan loaf or have any milk in their latte one morning!
Of course it would never happen as someone would break ranks to make a quick profit. Shame.

khdgsa:
The only answer is to just not deliver within the M25.

For the umpteenth time the M25 doesn’t denote Khan’s juristiction or remit.It’s the GLA boundary which is a very different thing.But yes there should be a transport industry boycott against the GLA’s unconstitutional unilateral actions and transport legislation.In which it seems to view itself as a seperate independent republic.

I’m so glad I don’t do London anymore.

richellis78:
They should just blanket ban trucks from London. Id be happy never to drive there again in any size vehicle.
See how long untill the city is on its knees.

I’ll second that.

Ken.

Wish operators would stick 20% on any delivery into London to cover the costs associated with all the upgrades.

I remember reading a comment made back in the 70s, ’ Taxing HGVs is the holy grail of taxation. No one likes lorries’ . Same principle applies here.

Haven’t been to the village in a long time . Looks like it will be even longer before I have to go there and that suits me fine .

London depends on freight. London doesn’t like Lorries . london likes railways and cyclists. Cancel passenger peak time rail journeys into london and use the rail paths to allow freight trains into Cannon Street, Victoria, Euston etc. Tranship all freight espccially construction traffic onto pushbikes. Result - happy londoners living in cloud cuckoo land along with their brainless politicians and of course Mr Daniels.

Was talking to the gaffer the other day about new lorries, and mentioned they were eyeing up this as idea. His faced paled at the thought of having to buy Mercedes Econic (or similar) he likes his trucks, so to him this is a pretty ghastly thought!

I presume that the FTA is at the moment preparing a well-oiled plan to spring to its members’ defence, just as it has done in the past when lorries in London have had the ■■■■ end of the stick. Oh…

If it was taxis that were faced with an expensive round of modifications care of the Mayor’s office then the LTDA would have them bring central London to a standstill, as they did over Uber. Sadly the haulage industry will take is from behind yet again, although the cavalier way in which many tippers in London are driven hardly helps the cause.

cav551:
Result - happy londoners living in cloud cuckoo land along with their brainless politicians and of course Mr Daniels.

It isn’t Leon Daniels’ fault. He just toes the political line and has no choice but to do. In fact if you do/have indeed work(ed) at the Purfleet-based Omnibus Suppliers to the World, then go upstairs and I am sure that the boss or one of his sons will confirm that for you.

It’s a sensible move. Drunk, banned, uninsured and unlicensed HGV drivers like Putz, Meyer and Lopes are killing cyclists and pedestrians who are doing nothing wrong. 31% of victims are run down from behind:

theguardian.com/environment … udy-claims

The paper analysed 704 accidents involving heavy goods vehicles and found that 31% of road fatalities were caused by drivers pulling away, 19% were caused by left turns, 7% by right turns, and 25% from drivers reversing.

It is a curious thing that we have been asked to simply accept that the road haulage industry can save money by flooding the roads with lethal vehicles operating blind in a crowded urban realm. These vehicles regularly kill, the driver climbs out of the cab and says “Blind spot innit”. At the lower end of the industry it gets much worse, it is a cut throat trade so corners are cut, payments are made per load and drivers are incentivised to speed, cut corners, take risks. Criminality is rampant, 3000 tacho convictions last year, up sharply. Dennis Putz and Barry Meyer had between them been banned from driving 30 (thirty) times and both got jobs driving HGVs in the capital. Both men killed cyclists, both are in prison. How can you get a job as a lorry driver if you’ve been banned from driving? Who insured those drivers? When Meyer was asked where his licence was he said “I left it at home” and he was given the keys to a 20 ton truck. Farcical.

Your examples are perfect reasons for robust systems of recruitment, and working practices, and training at haulage firms. Not a reason to spend millions on new trucks.

I realise you are our resident cycle nut so I’m sure you are actually right, even though you are wrong.

roaduser66:
It’s a sensible move. Drunk, banned, uninsured and unlicensed HGV drivers like Putz, Meyer and Lopes are killing cyclists and pedestrians who are doing nothing wrong. 31% of victims are run down from behind:

theguardian.com/environment … udy-claims

The paper analysed 704 accidents involving heavy goods vehicles and found that 31% of road fatalities were caused by drivers pulling away, 19% were caused by left turns, 7% by right turns, and 25% from drivers reversing.

It is a curious thing that we have been asked to simply accept that the road haulage industry can save money by flooding the roads with lethal vehicles operating blind in a crowded urban realm. These vehicles regularly kill, the driver climbs out of the cab and says “Blind spot innit”. At the lower end of the industry it gets much worse, it is a cut throat trade so corners are cut, payments are made per load and drivers are incentivised to speed, cut corners, take risks. Criminality is rampant, 3000 tacho convictions last year, up sharply. Dennis Putz and Barry Meyer had between them been banned from driving 30 (thirty) times and both got jobs driving HGVs in the capital. Both men killed cyclists, both are in prison. How can you get a job as a lorry driver if you’ve been banned from driving? Who insured those drivers? When Meyer was asked where his licence was he said “I left it at home” and he was given the keys to a 20 ton truck. Farcical.

Just out of interest, do you wear lycra, get very angry if a pedestrian gets in your way, have a camera on your helment and attempt to beat your best time every day on the way to and from work?

]

[/quote]
Just out of interest, do you wear lycra, get very angry if a pedestrian gets in your way, have a camera on your helment and attempt to beat your best time every day on the way to and from work?
[/quote]
you forgot to add,after rubbing baby oil over your wee legs,hug trees,kiss whales,and leave the house every morning evenly balanced…with a chip on both shoulders like most of the attitude problem 2 wheel fannies do… :unamused:

I would agree absolutely about the toeing of the political line. A certain high profile injury RTC would be an example.

It’s a sensible move.

No- a sensible move would be for the haulage industry to point out they have spent millions on safer trucks, safer driver schemes ,driver education, compliance regulation and more, the cyclists haven’t been made/asked to modify their road behaviour in any way.

So the only sensible way left is for the hauliers to take their goods to the fringes of London and leave it to TFL to get them all to the delivery points, and also to bring all the construction waste out to the same area- that way TFL can spend the money that hauliers simply don’t have on trucks that are only any good in London, and the haulage industry can stop being demonised by people who refuse to take any responsibility for their own actions on the road.

Sounds like a great plan to me

Chunkzilla:
Soon it’ll be imposed on all wagons everywhere in the country I bet.
Time to consider a career change?
Thing is that coaches have similar blind spots and yet are never subject to such regulation. And service buses, they drive around with terrible, little mirrors and are deemed to be safe.

The mind boggles !

bear in mind though that the public and official people think hgvs are nasty smelly things and the drivers are mostly thugs,thats probably why officialdom keep having a pop at the haulage industry

Rikki-UK:

It’s a sensible move.

No- a sensible move would be for the haulage industry to point out they have spent millions on safer trucks, safer driver schemes ,driver education, compliance regulation and more, the cyclists haven’t been made/asked to modify their road behaviour in any way.

So the only sensible way left is for the hauliers to take their goods to the fringes of London and leave it to TFL to get them all to the delivery points, and also to bring all the construction waste out to the same area- that way TFL can spend the money that hauliers simply don’t have on trucks that are only any good in London, and the haulage industry can stop being demonised by people who refuse to take any responsibility for their own actions on the road.

Er No, It’s London’s waste they can keep it inside their boundaries thank you very much.

Rikki-UK:

It’s a sensible move.

That’s complete nonsense. We had the advert earlier this week exhorting riders to “hang back”, as if they have a choice. In most HGV/cyclist collisions it is the DRIVER who is at fault, so any measure intended to reduce injuries and deaths ought naturally to focus on the source of the danger- drivers. The road freight industry has fought against extra safety checks, lobbied for longer trucks on the roads and resisted compliance controls. Extremely wealthy companies are saving money by putting lethal vehicles on the roads, mostly for construction. Finally they are being tackled. Any reputable company would support any initiative aimed at reducing harm rather than annoyance. Law breaking cyclists are annoying, law breaking HGV drivers are lethal.

Rikki-UK:

It’s a sensible move.

I agree with that,spoke to other drivers and they said deliveries/collections should be made to a central hub outside of cities so then we won’t have to go into London and other big cities, these poor little cyclists would have to find someone else to blame for deaths that occur