Russia/middle east/other unusual destinations

Great Reading! A friend gave me an old swedish truck magasin today and look whats on the cover :smiley:
Its not the whole article but its in Swedish.

Danne

It ain’t half hot mum.

Thanks to Ian for writing it and Dean for posting it. Great stuff!

John

1. One of trip in 1977 in a ex army bedford to Afghanistan.

Click on pages once or twice to magnify for reading.

There is one magazine article which I have been looking for since the mid 80’s.John Williams got involved in an aid convoy to Albania and regretted every minute of it, he was supposed to be team leader or road foreman teaching all these wanna be truckers and dogooders his trade, he later told me that no one listened to his experience and drove on through the night, crashed into houses and ditches and gave most of the donated aid to unscrupulous officials along the way. Can anyone remember it. I think George Ghinn got my copy when he was on Dentressangle.

Wheel Nut:
There is one magazine article which I have been looking for since the mid 80’s.John Williams got involved in an aid convoy to Albania and regretted every minute of it, he was supposed to be team leader or road foreman teaching all these wanna be truckers and dogooders his trade, he later told me that no one listened to his experience and drove on through the night, crashed into houses and ditches and gave most of the donated aid to unscrupulous officials along the way. Can anyone remember it. I think George Ghinn got my copy when he was on Dentressangle.

Wheel Nut, cant say i remember seeing it but i have alot of magazines. Do you know if it was in truck magazine
and any idea of a rough year ■■

DEANB:

Wheel Nut:

Wheel Nut, cant say i remember seeing it but i have alot of magazines. Do you know if it was in truck magazine

It could have been closer to 1990 than 1980 as I did a couple of jobs in Colin Johnsons Volvo that is in the story above. All I remember was there was a lot of misinformation and the regular drivers who had known JW were up in arms about it. I wish I could remember more, most of the blokes I worked with have done their last trip.

Wheel Nut:

DEANB:

Wheel Nut:

It could have been closer to 1990 than 1980 as I did a couple of jobs in Colin Johnsons Volvo that is in the story above. All I remember was there was a lot of misinformation and the regular drivers who had known JW were up in arms about it. I wish I could remember more, most of the blokes I worked with have done their last trip.

Not ringing any bells Wheel Nut but if i do have it i will post it when i come across it.

So hot my 4 weeks of and love this thread. But read them all now so maby you got something more in your big shoebox of yours? Yeah and the regular LLD is great to. So for them who hasnt read them its a great summer read :smiley:

Danne

Dirty Dan:
So hot my 4 weeks of and love this thread. But read them all now so maby you got something more in your big shoebox of yours? Yeah and the regular LLD is great to. So for them who hasnt read them its a great summer read :smiley:

Danne

Hello Danne, sorry only just seen this message. I will have a look but i dont think i have any more on the
Middle East or Russia. Will pop some on the LDD thread. :wink:

From a Bedford Magazine 1966.

Click on pages twice to read.

What a trip in 1957.

When you think of trips to The Middle East you dont think about removal trucks going there. I believe most removal jobs were taken out by the
normal hauliers Astrans,PIE,OHS,etc,etc. However i remember seeing the clipping below and thinking,there’s no way they went to Afghanistan.
I dont remember ever reading about a normal removal company that went that far,but H.Smith & Son Removals did.The article mentions that a
DAF has just returned from Pakistan.

The Leyland had some serious fuel tanks on it, 2650 miles range !

remoals smiths cm3 1974.PNG

Been here earlier this year

robthedog:

Any pics Rob ■■

Astrans.

Click on page twice to read.

DEANB:

robthedog:

Any pics Rob ■■

Hi Dean
hers a few sorry about quality I tried straight from the computer but the files were to big ? so i’ve photographed from the screen so not the best quality unfortunately, anyway
straight road through the ural mountains, various roadside vendors, on the road, transiting kazan and finally arriving in Yekaterinburg with a nice old F12
I done a job in Sweden sailed from karlshamn to Klaipeda up to Grebnova and entered Russia round Moscow and onto Yekaterinburg 3000+ kms just to there when I get time ill put some of Yekaterinburg up Russias 4th largest city

B431227E-BBA4-4A38-BF6A-4931CDC459D3.jpeg

5A6C245A-F163-4795-BD08-8931FF061663.jpeg

robthedog:

DEANB:

robthedog:

Any pics Rob ■■

Hi Dean
hers a few sorry about quality I tried straight from the computer but the files were to big ? so i’ve photographed from the screen so not the best quality unfortunately, anyway
straight road through the ural mountains, various roadside vendors, on the road, transiting kazan and finally arriving in Yekaterinburg with a nice old F12
I done a job in Sweden sailed from karlshamn to Klaipeda up to Grebnova and entered Russia round Moscow and onto Yekaterinburg 3000+ kms just to there when I get time ill put some of Yekaterinburg up Russias 4th largest city

Sorry Rob only just seen the pics. That Globetrotter looks in bloody good nick ! :wink:

Does this count Dean, as these lot went to some “unusual” destinations indeed!

pv83:
Does this count Dean, as these lot went to some “unusual” destinations indeed!

Looks nice and cold, last year in Russia -26 it did get down to -30 at one point