Article about a middle east truck trip and pictures

Just found this today on the webb thought it might intrest some of you as
it mentions some of the drivers names,and there some photos.

www.saudiaramcoworld.com

when you reach the site search for destination doha and the article
will come up,when you have read it at the bottom of the page there is
a link to images press this and the pictures will come up

regards Dean

This website has the archived ‘Truckers East’ magazine that was distributed in paper form in the seventies

Copies of this are going for ridiculous amounts on online booksellers.

Hey Marky

I sent an email to the publisher as it says on there web site that you can
ask for old copies free of charge if they have them?? its a bit of a long
shot but will let you know if they reply to my mail

Nice one Dean - keep me informed…

I got a copy of Truckers East sent out free of charge from the Saudi Aramco site. Just go into indexes and click on 1970s and its the Nov/Dec 1977 issue that you want, request a copy for personal reading and include your address in the first e-mail as itll save you about a week before they ask you for your address.

Free of charge and it comes to you all the way from Texas, you don`t get much for free nowadays.

:smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :sunglasses:

nianiamh:
I got a copy of Truckers East sent out free of charge from the Saudi Aramco site. Just go into indexes and click on 1970s and its the Nov/Dec 1977 issue that you want, request a copy for personal reading and include your address in the first e-mail as itll save you about a week before they ask you for your address.

Free of charge and it comes to you all the way from Texas, you don`t get much for free nowadays.

:smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :sunglasses: i have just spent 2hrs on Aramco`s site, brill pictures, have requested a copy :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

There have been developments since I emailed them asking for a copy. Here’s a copy of the reply I got:

Dear Marky,

If we have any copies of that issue left, we’ll be glad to send you one. But please explain: In the past few weeks we’ve had at least half a dozen requests for this issue, after years without a single one. What’s happening? Is there some sort of old boys’ network, or has some event taken place that has brought the UK-Middle East truck routes back to mind?

Best wishes,

Robert Arndt

Looks like the word is out guys…

As with most things that us drivers get for free its not long before someone puts a stop to it.

We could do with someone putting together a pictorial history of the Middle East run before all the old hands from the run go and park up in that TIR park in the sky, as there must be loads of great pic`s and tales out there just waiting for someone to do it.

Astran middle east run dvd on ebay

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? … RK:MESE:IT

marky:
There have been developments since I emailed them asking for a copy. Here’s a copy of the reply I got:

Dear Marky,

If we have any copies of that issue left, we’ll be glad to send you one. But please explain: In the past few weeks we’ve had at least half a dozen requests for this issue, after years without a single one. What’s happening? Is there some sort of old boys’ network, or has some event taken place that has brought the UK-Middle East truck routes back to mind?

Best wishes,

Robert Arndt

Looks like the word is out guys…

I hope you replied and pointed them all in this direction… :open_mouth: :wink: :wink: :smiley:

I told the guy what was occurring and how it came about.

Haven’t had a reply yet.

Have just bought,watched and enjoyed Destination Doha.
Anyone know what became of the 4 drivers in the documentary?

leslie g heath:
Have just bought,watched and enjoyed Destination Doha.
Anyone know what became of the 4 drivers in the documentary?

Hi Leslie
I asked the same a while ago and KW on here told me that John Williams died a few years ago.
Dave Poulton is apparently still about,last heard of taking ‘sellers’ down to the M/E.
As for the other’s, he did`nt know. Truckboy may know as he worked for the same firm

Like you said its really enjoyable to watch, those drivers who did the M/E run
where a different bread there`s not doubt about that.

My copy of Aramco World arrived this week,all the way from Texas.

That’s Texas USA.Not the DIY store :wink:

My copies arrived this morning - great stuff.

Iam glad that youve all recevied your copys of this great read
and all for FREE
They must be running out of these fast now.

I doubt it - they’ve probably got a warehouse the size of West Bromwich full of them.

Thanks Nianiamh.I would agree with you about being a different breed.
I had the chance to go about 1977 but bottled out in the end, wish now i had gone.It would not be the driving that would worry me it would be the waiting around at customs etc.Going down to Italy a few times was bad enough, when i was younger i just wanted to crack on.Lelie G Heath