roping and sheeting

kevmac47:

sammyopisite:

Bewick:
Not according to that Pickfords “wallah” from Sheffield Larry ! But I bet his Dwangs on the chains were never in line either.!! Dennis.

Dennis I always used screws either the bottle screw or the railway screw so they were all fastened to the trailer shackles in line they were a lot safer to use and a lot easier to tighten if they slackened off just a bit more work to start with :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
cheers Johnnie :wink:

Sam, would a “bottle screw” be a barmaid and a "railway screw"be a lady of the night with a season ticket??
enlighten us please :smiley: :smiley: or have I just got a dirty mind? Regards Kev

Kev "no comment " I am not going to incriminate myself as you never know who is reading these pages but I am far to tight to start shelling out for something that cost nowt in the first place :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:
cheers Johnnie :wink:

Bewick:
By the sound of it Bri you must have experienced some difficulty with putting a proper Dolly knot in ( Hitch to us lads in the Norff!) How many times did you land on your arse? a few by the concern you are showing to that Bewick driver!! Put the knot on right then just give it gentle “ease” then being sure it’s good to go,Give it some “wellie” my son!!! never had one out yet,one or two misfires but never landed on my arse either.Keep on roping yea!!! Cheers Bewick.

Then,do a double dolly, and give it some wellie, that either kept the load on, or cut it in half, depending what you were loaded with. Not recommended for boxes of Apples, Bananas, Oranges, in fact most Fruits…but very good for … f***ing timber…:sunglasses:
I remember, if there was a hook missing, you did a split hitch to keep the rope straight…then a double…just in case

Do they still make rope Den,… or is it all straps these days…years back, I’ve had to use baler twine and string, and me Ma use to knit rope from wool… how things have changed… :unamused:

No ropes nowadays Dave !!! Apart from the fact that these modern day “jockey’s” wouldn’t know what they were,never mind being able to use them ! And besides I think that H & S has banned them as “dangerous”------ give me strength,I do not know how we managed before the advent of Curtainsiders !! Cheers Dennis.

Nah, Dennis no problems on the roping and sheets front had a real good bunch to learn from when i was younger. :open_mouth: :laughing: in-t
that right Kevin jarrow rolling mill back in 1973
They taught you well my son, said in a Darth Vader voice. :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Part of the m/t trailer rank in the depot,which was more often than not clear,looks like there’s a few new sets of sheets been put into service,and not a Tautliner in sight !!! Oh! and over the fence is an “up” flyer doing a “ton” on the main line.

Bewick:
Part of the m/t trailer rank in the depot,which was more often than not clear,looks like there’s a few new sets of sheets been put into service,and not a Tautliner in sight !!! Oh! and over the fence is an “up” flyer doing a “ton” on the main line.

A lot of empty trailers Dennis was things getting bad !!!

Hello from a Swede!

I’m impressed over how well you Englishmen have roping and sheeting your load. It is very well done and I understand it was a moment as get you truckers a lot of sweat.

My experience of roping and sheeting were in tie-up with board as were transported via lorry and trailer. (The lorry and trailer had on its bed two timberbanks as was holding four sticks, two on each side) The sticks had single chains on them. The whole load (Eight packets meaning full load) were “roped” with chains as had a device trough one could clench the load. If the weather was fine no need for sheeting. If it was danger for rain we had a large tarpaulin as we had around little more than half on both side. We had never tarpaulins as reached the bed or more. So if my father started drive and it begin to rain so become the board a little soggy but it wasn’t so danger. The load was sawed wood in different thickness and wideness. If it had been of soft wood it had been another situation but he always carries timber or sawed products.
That is my memory from the decade of 1960 when I git to ride with my father as drove a Volvo Titan 150 hp, lather Viking Turbo 150 hp but weaker than Titan and last Volvo Titan Turbo 230 hp 1963. They had all nose and was great especially the last. It had 3-axle trailer.
My apologies for writing to much stuff.

thedieselgypsy.com/FIRST%20T … KERS-9.htm

You can get a picture of the Titan when clicking on the link.

Regards
Lars-Gunnar :slight_smile:

FH13:
Hello from a Swede!

I’m impressed over how well you Englishmen have roping and sheeting your load. It is very well done and I understand it was a moment as get you truckers a lot of sweat.

My experience of roping and sheeting were in tie-up with board as were transported via lorry and trailer. (The lorry and trailer had on its bed two timberbanks as was holding four sticks, two on each side) The sticks had single chains on them. The whole load (Eight packets meaning full load) were “roped” with chains as had a device trough one could clench the load. If the weather was fine no need for sheeting. If it was danger for rain we had a large tarpaulin as we had around little more than half on both side. We had never tarpaulins as reached the bed or more. So if my father started drive and it begin to rain so become the board a little soggy but it wasn’t so danger. The load was sawed wood in different thickness and wideness. If it had been of soft wood it had been another situation but he always carries timber or sawed products.
That is my memory from the decade of 1960 when I git to ride with my father as drove a Volvo Titan 150 hp, lather Viking Turbo 150 hp but weaker than Titan and last Volvo Titan Turbo 230 hp 1963. They had all nose and was great especially the last. It had 3-axle trailer.

Regards

Great memories Lars, your english is quaint but vastly superior to mine (or most other englishmens swedish) keep it up
and post some pics of those early volvos and scanias if you have any. regards kevmac47

FH13:
Hello from a Swede!

Regards

Lars, as Kevmac17 says, there is no need to apologize for your English when there is hardly an English lorry driver can speak Swedish. I met many Swedish drivers over the years, they were always very professional, had beautiful lorries,always well maintained, and would always stop to help you out if you had a problem. If you’ve anymore photo’s and stories about driving in Sweden, maybe start a new thread ? many people will be interested I’m sure. Thanks for posting…

hiya,
I’m interested Lars yes very interested.
thanks harry long retired.

scan0535.jpg

scan0025.jpg

v7victor:

Bewick:

A lot of empty trailers Dennis was things getting bad !!!

Right Vic,what about this shot then, taken from the top of the depot around the same time as the shot of the m/t rank? two or three, probably, 33footers in the bottom corner and one Scania on the wash!!! Whereabouts have they all gone? We used to run a trailer to tractor ratio of nearly 3:1 and we were able to absorb big surges in our traffic flows so when work dropped off a bit for a day or two we continued as normal clearing the backlog.But there was no pattern to the ebbing and flowing of the trailer pool and we had trailers all over the country at various customer premises so we never ever had them all in the same place at once,we’d have been overrun if we had and probably “dead in the water” !! Cheers Dennis.

Looks like a Tyne gangway on top of the Minto load ?

Good floors or deck which ever you call them on your side of the hills Dennis :laughing: :slight_smile: not a patch
or hole to be seen any place. :neutral_face: :slight_smile:

Well thats what I call good housekeeping & very clean too. Regards Larry

scan0100.jpg

scan0087.jpg

The sheeting and roping on the two Fergie outfits is nothing to be proud of !! One interesting observation though would be the trailer behind the MAN,I think it is maybe one of those “short lived” Target trailers that had the chassis main frame on the outside.I could never work out what the advantage was to this design? maybe Larry could give us a clue,he probably had a fleet of them!! Cheers Dennis.

Sorry to dissapoint you I never owned one of these abortions, I did pull some of them for Fergy, I remember being in Sheffield and loaded a 17 tonne lump. I was very concerned as to the best place to put it, I explained my doubts to the slinger,he was very pleased that pointed out the problem, he gave me two large baulks free I might add, which solved the problem, so I gave him a couple of pens bearing the Dunbar Logo. for which he thanked me, he said he would use them at the Bingo, I hoped he would win, I was told that Old Eddie Ferguson was a co designer of these trailers, fortunatley they nerver caught on. Regards Larry

Lawrence Dunbar:
Sorry to dissapoint you I never owned one of these abortions, I did pull some of them for Fergy, I remember being in Sheffield and loaded a 17 tonne lump. I was very concerned as to the best place to put it, I explained my doubts to the slinger,he was very pleased that pointed out the problem, he gave me two large baulks free I might add, which solved the problem, so I gave him a couple of pens bearing the Dunbar Logo. for which he thanked me, he said he would use them at the Bingo, I hoped he would win, I was told that Old Eddie Ferguson was a co designer of these trailers, fortunatley they nerver caught on. Regards Larry

Spot on with that explanation Larry ! I thought you’d have the full SP ! Cheers Dennis.

8LXBV8BRIAN:
Looks like a Tyne gangway on top of the Minto load ?

Yes it looks like it, I loaded quite few myself at Linkletters at Howdon, they were good to put on the top of a load as seen on Mintos wagon, Regards Larry.