roping and sheeting

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Retired Old ■■■■:

windrush:

Bewick:

Retired Old ■■■■:
Sorry to disappoint you chaps but there is nothing more potent than fifty litres of home made cider quietly maturing in th’allotment shed! Ahould be ready for Christmas with any luck. Although one of our number did mention something about a still and a drop of calvados!

Can I ask how much a Gallon are you selling( ex Shed) the Pocheen for this year ROF ? Cheers Dennis.

It will probably be distributed foc to all the customers who signed up for his 'overpriced R & S course Dennis, I’m informed that his genorosity knows no bounds. Don’t forget that he also provided breakfasts foc to the poorer Derbyshire Dales based hauliers as well, the man surely deserves a Knighthood for his services to needy folk. :laughing: Your gallon will be on its way to you very soon. :wink:

Edited to say; Sorry for ruining your surprise ROF, I know that you don’t like your generosity to be broadcast.

Pete.

SWINE!!!

I did say I was sorry ROF, but at least they will all now know what they are getting for Christmas…now’t I expect! :unamused: :wink:

Pete.

Fergie47:

windrush:

Bewick:

Retired Old ■■■■:
Sorry to disappoint you chaps but there is nothing more potent than fifty litres of home made cider quietly maturing in th’allotment shed! Ahould be ready for Christmas with any luck. Although one of our number did mention something about a still and a drop of calvados!

Can I ask how much a Gallon are you selling( ex Shed) the Pocheen for this year ROF ? Cheers Dennis.

It will probably be distributed foc to all the customers who signed up for his 'overpriced R & S course Dennis, I’m informed that his genorosity knows no bounds. Don’t forget that he also provided breakfasts foc to the poorer Derbyshire Dales based hauliers as well, the man surely deserves a Knighthood for his services to needy folk. :laughing: Your gallon will be on its way to you very soon. :wink:

Pete.

I bought a gallon this time last year. It’s cleaned the patio, paintbrushes and the drains… :wink:

I take it you don’t want the vin rouge this year then Den ? was about to phone Carryfast for a delivery quote…I await your response… :unamused:

Hiya Dave, sorry I’m late in responding Mate ! but I have been frantically trying to find an alternative “Logistics” supplier to C & D the “vin rough red” in time for our Family Christmas Lunch as we all did so enjoy last years “vintage”, far better than the crap we have to buy at £8 & £9 a bottle from the Supermarkets in the UK !" However, I have hit what is proving to be a huge obstacle this year all because of the impending General Election we are having in December! My regular “Logistics” supplier ( Leatherhead Logistics Inc.) who I have continued to use, faithfully, over previous years when I could have got the job done for half the cost by using the “connection” I have with our mutual Pal, Buzzer a.k.a. J D !
However , at short notice, Leatherhead Logistics Inc, advised me( dropped me in the Doo doo) that their Chief Executive had taken a couple of months Sabbatical in order to stand as the PPC for The Monster Raving Looney Party in the Leatherhead constituency and as he expects to win the seat and will become an MP they have taken the decision to sell the ■■■■■■ van and give up the Lease on the lock up garage—sorry — the Lease on the Leatherhead Inland Freight Terminal ( LIFT to you and me) So as it seems I am up “■■■■ creek without a paddle” I have had to make an executive decision and order alternative supply of a 45 gallon drum of ROF’s “indeterminable” brew which, I am assured, is a blend of stale crab apple cider/doc leaves/Japanese Knott weed & a dash of Ad Blue! Apparently you only go blind after the second pint !
Hope both Liz and your good self are keeping well and getting ready for the festive season ! Kind Regards Den.

Hiya,
That could only flow from your pen Dennis :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Bewick:
Hiya Dave, sorry I’m late in responding Mate ! but I have been frantically trying to find an alternative “Logistics” supplier to C & D the “vin rough red” in time for our Family Christmas Lunch as we all did so enjoy last years “vintage”, far better than the crap we have to buy at £8 & £9 a bottle from the Supermarkets in the UK !" However, I have hit what is proving to be a huge obstacle this year all because of the impending General Election we are having in December! My regular “Logistics” supplier ( Leatherhead Logistics Inc.) who I have continued to use, faithfully, over previous years when I could have got the job done for half the cost by using the “connection” I have with our mutual Pal, Buzzer a.k.a. J D !
However , at short notice, Leatherhead Logistics Inc, advised me( dropped me in the Doo doo) that their Chief Executive had taken a couple of months Sabbatical in order to stand as the PPC for The Monster Raving Looney Party in the Leatherhead constituency and as he expects to win the seat and will become an MP they have taken the decision to sell the ■■■■■■ van and give up the Lease on the lock up garage—sorry — the Lease on the Leatherhead Inland Freight Terminal ( LIFT to you and me) So as it seems I am up “[zb] creek without a paddle” I have had to make an executive decision and order alternative supply of a 45 gallon drum of ROF’s “indeterminable” brew which, I am assured, is a blend of stale crab apple cider/doc leaves/Japanese Knott weed & a dash of Ad Blue! Apparently you only go blind after the second pint !
Hope both Liz and your good self are keeping well and getting ready for the festive season ! Kind Regards Den.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: . Classic Den… :smiley: … we’re both well here thanks mate, and you and Anne too I hope…

Not a fan of the festive season, but a few bottles of decent vin blanc, at 1 euro 80 a gallon and a slab of Brie will numb the pain of it all… :laughing:

Take care, and have a nice one Den

PS. Could fly you a hamper in via your mates at Stobart Air to Carlisle ?..ummmm, perhaps not eh :wink:

harry_gill:
Hiya,
That could only flow from your pen Dennis :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Well done Dennis! The bus and coach thread also kicked him in the testimonials this week. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: regards Kev.

FB_IMG_1574365633310.jpg
Now that’s a job well done ! nmp

Bewick:

Retired Old ■■■■:

Sorry, Dennis, but our accountant has placed you on the Black List as he still has not received the “lost” cheque which you claimed to have posted in regard to your overdue account of 1970.

Retired Old ■■■■:

Bewick:

Retired Old ■■■■:

Sorry, Dennis, but our accountant has placed you on the Black List as he still has not received the “lost” cheque which you claimed to have posted in regard to your overdue account of 1970.

This is not on ROF ! I have tried, unsuccessfully, to BACS you the 5gns I owe but the instruction I kept getting “knocked back” until “the Boss man” at the FSA contacted me to advise that BACS are not connected to “The Black Economy” and could I possibly give him the details of the “Individual” I was attempting to pay !!! So Quick as a flash I told him it was someone from Nigeria ( And not a geezer sat in a garden shed in Macc !) First law of the Jungle “you do not Grass” !! So do I get my Brownie point or not ? If the answer is negative I do have a direct line to the “authorities” :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

harry_gill:
Hiya,

Don’t encourage him, H!
So I suppose that’s the matter closed, then, Bewick? It would appear that the only recourse open to me would be to send the cider-soaked lads round to yours, armed with spades and redundant jack handles. The only thing holding me back is the thought that your lovely office girl may become embroiled in the melee. I have no doubt that the young lass is totally unaware of your dodgy dealings, particularly with regard to overdue invoices. I’m sure, should she know the truth, she would agree that 5 guineas represents a sizeable sum to those of us existing on a state pension. I will regretfully withdraw from the current argument on the grounds that it may cause distress to the unfortunate lady.

Retired Old ■■■■:

harry_gill:
Hiya,

Don’t encourage him, H!
So I suppose that’s the matter closed, then, Bewick? It would appear that the only recourse open to me would be to send the cider-soaked lads round to yours, armed with spades and redundant jack handles. The only thing holding me back is the thought that your lovely office girl may become embroiled in the melee. I have no doubt that the young lass is totally unaware of your dodgy dealings, particularly with regard to overdue invoices. I’m sure, should she know the truth, she would agree that 5 guineas represents a sizeable sum to those of us existing on a state pension. I will regretfully withdraw from the current argument on the grounds that it may cause distress to the unfortunate lady.

I would vey much appreciate a credit note for our records ROF stating quite clearly that the invoice is cancelled so when we “draw” a visit from the VAT man he can see that it is a cancelled transaction so I won’t get fined ! Thanking you in anticipation I remain, Yours Sincerely, Mr. Bewick.

FB_IMG_1574784957124.jpg
Nmp

coomsey:
Nmp

That is an early 1969 shot taken one evening at the “Three Sisters” café on the A5 at Markyate . The Seddon and trailer, loaded with 20 ton of woodpulp ex Northfleet for Bowater Scott Barrow mill, are pulled up in front of the Café. The Driver of the Seddon was the late Bill Birkby from Dalton-in-Furness who eventually finished his driving career at Brady’s after Athersmith Bros. were bought out by Brady’s in 73/74. I believe that Bill drove nights at Brady’s on their West Brom trunk on an 8LXB Borderer. IIRC there is a colour shot of the 8 wheeler and trailer with Bill and IIRC his trailer mate who was called Tony Kenyon who went on to drive for Blue Dart after Athersmiths were sold. I can recall this spiel as I was also staying at the digs that night along with IIRC a couple of GW Taylor drivers, John Holmes and “Big” Harold Troughton, and there were also a number of James Cropper drivers there as well as I recall. The Three Sisters or “6 ■■■■” as my long gone Pal Eric Postlethwiate used to call the Café ! was a regular stopping place for many Lads from my part of the world. The Ranch further up the A5 towards Dunstable was another regular Digs that Croppers used but I never reckoned it ! Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:

coomsey:
Nmp

That is an early 1969 shot taken one evening at the “Three Sisters” café on the A5 at Markyate . The Seddon and trailer, loaded with 20 ton of woodpulp ex Northfleet for Bowater Scott Barrow mill, are pulled up in front of the Café. The Driver of the Seddon was the late Bill Birkby from Dalton-in-Furness who eventually finished his driving career at Brady’s after Athersmith Bros. were bought out by Brady’s in 73/74. I believe that Bill drove nights at Brady’s on their West Brom trunk on an 8LXB Borderer. IIRC there is a colour shot of the 8 wheeler and trailer with Bill and IIRC his trailer mate who was called Tony Kenyon who went on to drive for Blue Dart after Athersmiths were sold. I can recall this spiel as I was also staying at the digs that night along with IIRC a couple of GW Taylor drivers, John Holmes and “Big” Harold Troughton, and there were also a number of James Cropper drivers there as well as I recall. The Three Sisters or “6 ■■■■” as my long gone Pal Eric Postlethwiate used to call the Café ! was a regular stopping place for many Lads from my part of the world. The Ranch further up the A5 towards Dunstable was another regular Digs that Croppers used but I never reckoned it ! Cheers Bewick.

Hiya,
Dennis, do you know how Athersmith’s Seddon and drag was powered ?,
I never came across it parked up but when I was tramping around with
with a Leyland Octopus and drag and en-route South on the M6 it used
to get past me at quite a few knots faster than I could muster out of my
my Blackburn red n’ rust Leyland 600, but come to think of it so did just
everybody else on the road at that time and I’d be doing maximum an’all.

Bewick:

coomsey:
Nmp

Get away with you ! :smiley: cheers Coomsey

harry_gill:

Bewick:

coomsey:
Nmp

Hiya,

Oh! “H” I despair I really do !! If that 150 LX powered Seddon of Athersmith’s passed you , you must have been parked up on the hard shoulder !! :wink: :wink: :wink: They had an Octopus the identical spec to Brady’s two 8 wheelers and I kid you not my Mate Eric reckoned that the Athersmith Octopus never got into the 6 speed O/D nor did it ever exceed 40 mph !! Pathetic wasn’t the word for it !
Athersmith’s were big Union men akin to BRS and idle ■■■■■■■■ to a man they really were ! 23 mph IIRC ! Cheers Dennis.

Come on Dennis my friend, Theres nowt wrong with the good old 150 6LX Gardner, One had to know how to drive a motor with this great MPG Engine in My mentors trained me on way to drive these, And when on a heavy pull like Shap Fell etc when for instance flat to the floor in 3 rd gear pulling hard I was told just ease off the throttle a bit and the engine would pull a bit better, And it worked I have mentioned this over my years to other drivers But sadley only a few agreed with me,But Im still a Gardner man in my old age :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , Hope you and your good Lady are keeping well, Regards Larry.

Bewick:

harry_gill:

Bewick:

coomsey:
Nmp

Hiya,

Oh! “H” I despair I really do !! If that 150 LX powered Seddon of Athersmith’s passed you , you must have been parked up on the hard shoulder !! :wink: :wink: :wink: They had an Octopus the identical spec to Brady’s two 8 wheelers and I kid you not my Mate Eric reckoned that the Athersmith Octopus never got into the 6 speed O/D nor did it ever exceed 40 mph !! Pathetic wasn’t the word for it !
Athersmith’s were big Union men akin to BRS and idle [zb] to a man they really were ! 23 mph IIRC ! Cheers Dennis.

Hiya,
Thanks Dennis that particular Octopus would be lucky to get above 35 MPH
and that would be on the level with a fairly tail wind and after I’d removed
the slack from the throttle linkages but it would have been above ten or so
years old an ex-Bowker motor I think from memory.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Come on Dennis my friend, Theres nowt wrong with the good old 150 6LX Gardner, One had to know how to drive a motor with this great MPG Engine in My mentors trained me on way to drive these, And when on a heavy pull like Shap Fell etc when for instance flat to the floor in 3 rd gear pulling hard I was told just ease off the throttle a bit and the engine would pull a bit better, And it worked I have mentioned this over my years to other drivers But sadley only a few agreed with me,But Im still a Gardner man in my old age :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , Hope you and your good Lady are keeping well, Regards Larry.

The mechanical Cat engines were the same.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Hiya Larry, We are both fine and I trust you and yours are the same ! You’ll no doubt be looking forward to the NE Drivers “Christmas do” eh! will you manage to get Mr. Gill to make an appearance this year ? Anyway, I agree there was nowt wrong with the 150LX this shot I’ve put on was of an Atki we ran for a few years which I got second hand. It was ex Pickfords Tankfreight and all it had done was run aviation spirit from BP Partington into Manchester Airport. It ran like a 'lal sewing machine and it would do between 9 & 10 mpg pulling at 32 ton gvw in both directions on our trunk when we were extra busy and it was a pleasure to drive ! Regards Dennis.