roping and sheeting

Punchy Dan:
0iirc a late 2017 shot of a right load bits n bobs :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Is that a Bloke’s foot or his hand sticking out from under that sheet ? :open_mouth: Anon 1.

Bewick:

Punchy Dan:
0iirc a late 2017 shot of a right load bits n bobs :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Is that a Bloke’s foot or his hand sticking out from under that sheet ? :open_mouth: Anon 1.

Non payment by customers is taken VERY seriously in our area Dennis, no second chances! :open_mouth:

Pete.

windrush:

Bewick:

Punchy Dan:

Non payment by customers is taken VERY seriously in our area Dennis, no second chances! :open_mouth:

Pete.

We do indeed ,I’ll not put our late payment plan on the net though :wink:

This motor has a paper machine press roll on which is been returned to Glenrothes for recovering. We had to take out special insurance cover to carry these rolls as apart from being worth many £000’s of pounds if they were damaged in an RTA there wasn’t always another spare so if the one that was running on the Paper Machine was marked or damaged in any way the machine would have to shut down which cost £000’s per day in lost production ! Fortunately we only ever had one mishap at Disley Mill when an inexperienced Driver set off from around the back of the Mill to the front before the machine roll was strapped down, the ■■■■■■■ idiot ! Fortunately they still had another spare and the damaged press roll was repaired at reasonable cost. This particular Driver was a very well educated lad and came over quite plausible but he was an absolute disaster in practice and he had one or two other drawbacks of his own making so needless to say he didn’t last very long at Bewick Transport ! But it went to prove you can’t always judge a book by it’s cover ! The nickname he was given was " Emerald" i.e. ■■■■■■■ Green ! Cheers Bewick.

scan0092.jpg

Bewick:

Very smart Dennis, A proper roper & sheeter driver to say the least, :wink: :wink: :wink: , Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Bewick:

Very smart Dennis, A proper roper & sheeter driver to say the least, :wink: :wink: :wink: , Regards Larry.

Hiya Larry, we were away the weekend before last in Whitby Fri/Sat/Sun great hotel and the weather was hot and sunny unbelievable but spot on. grand little place though, we only decided the week before as Anne had got some Whitby Scampi off the market and it was tasty, I says how do you fancy a weekend in Whitby ? we went the scenic route up Sutton bank and over the moor beautiful run. Aye we had some very decent Shunters who were crackers at sheeting and roping anything, and the main of the Drivers were good hands, some were a bit on the careless side at times but in the main all the loads were tidy, or else ! Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Bewick:

Hiya Larry, we were away the weekend before last in Whitby Fri/Sat/Sun great hotel and the weather was hot and sunny unbelievable but spot on. grand little place though, we only decided the week before as Anne had got some Whitby Scampi off the market and it was tasty, I says how do you fancy a weekend in Whitby ? we went the scenic route up Sutton bank and over the moor beautiful run. Aye we had some very decent Shunters who were crackers at sheeting and roping anything, and the main of the Drivers were good hands, some were a bit on the careless side at times but in the main all the loads were tidy, or else ! Cheers Dennis.

Well Dennis, My good lady & I have spent a few weekends in Whitby , But sadley to say at the moment she is a bit Iffy on the good health front, This Arthritis thing is giving here a bit of grief at present, But hopefully she will get over it with the modern day medicinal stuff, & If she took more notice from me & went onto the Single Malts, She might burst into acction, :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: , Regards Larry.

Hiya Larry, sorry to hear your Good Lady is suffering a bit at the moment as it does sort of “knock the shine” off every day life, hopefully just for the duration then normal service will be resumed eh! But a bit of “ear ache” from the “better half” is a small price for “us” to pay. ! So I sincerely hope your Good lady will soon be on the mend and the Quack sorts her problem out. Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:
Hiya Larry, sorry to hear your Good Lady is suffering a bit at the moment as it does sort of “knock the shine” off every day life, hopefully just for the duration then normal service will be resumed eh! But a bit of “ear ache” from the “better half” is a small price for “us” to pay. ! So I sincerely hope your Good lady will soon be on the mend and the Quack sorts her problem out. Cheers Dennis.

Thanks Dennis, We are off to the Caravan on the 29th All going well, Just for a long weekend, Im taking here Electric Scooter so she can get out and get some great North East Coast Sea Air into her system, In fact I hope it does me good too, Then I can have a few extra Malts, :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , Just to keep me on my toes when Im doing the breakfast, Regards Larry.

R&P from Israel. The load is most likely orange crates which were transported in the open before refrigeration. In the second pic, the tarps have been already removed for unloading/loading at Haifa harbour. First pic by S. Dayan who drove the Ford back in the day, the second is by Hanan Sadé.

You will like these Dennis ! :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Lamp post was in a handy place ! :laughing:

roping2.jpg

Hi Larry, you mention good North East Coast sea air, I remember once delivering bags of rock salt to a drift mine right on the coast somewhere near Amble as far as I can recall circa 1965 in February when the wind was blowing straight across the North sea from Russia and beyond . I never forget how bitterly cold it was that day blowing straight through me and down into the drift mine, I bet it cooled the sweating miners down. I guess you might know this old mine it was called “BEWICKS DRIFT” I never knew our mutual acquaintance was one of those evil coal owners that the north east was noted for. I wonder where his stately mansion was ?
Cheers, Leyland 600

Leyland600:
Hi Larry, you mention good North East Coast sea air, I remember once delivering bags of rock salt to a drift mine right on the coast somewhere near Amble as far as I can recall circa 1965 in February when the wind was blowing straight across the North sea from Russia and beyond . I never forget how bitterly cold it was that day blowing straight through me and down into the drift mine, I bet it cooled the sweating miners down. I guess you might know this old mine it was called “BEWICKS DRIFT” I never knew our mutual acquaintance was one of those evil coal owners that the north east was noted for. I wonder where his stately mansion was ?
Cheers, Leyland 600

Probably a distant (very distant!) relative Gerald but I was browt’ up on’t wrang’t side of’t Pennines eh! as you can vouch for! so I can’t get pilloried by our N. East members as a " nasty Coal owner" Phew ! :blush: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Transhipped without losing a case Phew !

Aye Dennis, you must have some attraction to coal since you rode about on Mumbersons coal wagon as a boy as you said in a recent post, it must be in your genes !!
Cheers Leyland 600

Leyland600:
Aye Dennis, you must have some attraction to coal since you rode about on Mumbersons coal wagon as a boy as you said in a recent post, it must be in your genes !!
Cheers Leyland 600

IIRC all Mumbersons coal came from St Helens pit at Siddick as I recall reading the tickets that were clipped on the chassis of the trucks, I’d no idea where the pit was located like the trucks only came down the line to Leegate ! :wink: Cheers Dennis.

Hi Dennis pure co- incidence this afternoon as I walked down King St at Wigton the first vehicle to come into sight a smartly painted blue Transit pick up with J.G. Mumberson Coal Merchant on the headboard properly sign written. I did not know that they were still in business as I cannot say that I have ever seen one of their vehicles. Perhaps you should contact then and see if you can get a start !!! I think most of the local coal merchants back then got their coal from St Helens pit at Siddick. The coal chutes used to be alongside the main road as I remember.
Cheers Leyland 600

Thanks for the bit of info Gerald, IIRC the old Mumberson’s name was J H Mumberson & Sons I can just vaguely remember the old fella as he passed away in the mid 50’s. The elder brother was George and he lived at T’Penna he was in Kartoum in the Sudan on national service , the younger brother was Joseph, my older marra ! They bought a new Trader in 57/58 about the same time ADB got their first Trader and if IIRC they were both VAO — ? Mumbersons was a medium WB dropside tipper on “B” Licence which George drove and again IIRC they hauled loads of Fert as I can recall having a ride up to Alston one day with George loaded with 10 ton of bagged fert. The coal delivery waggon was a 4D and Joe did the main of the bagged deliveries ex Leegate but they also had stock heaps tipped in their yard at Ireby. They must have had a good business as they were never stopped delivering around the immediate area. You’ve just jogged my memory as I vaguely recall being sat in the 4D in Wigton one day and there was a carrier bag on the cab floor, Joe got out to go into the Bank ( don’t know which one) and he says to me “guard that bag with your life marra!” ( I would be 9 or 10 at the time :wink: ) so when he came back he opened it and stuck a bundle of notes into it which IIRC joined another load of cash he’d brought from Ireby and again IIRC he told me there was well over £2,000 which we then shot off to the County Garage where he paid for the new Trader, in cash !! Those were the days Gerald ! Cheers Dennis. PS I think it was Milkman Tom told me that Joseph was buried ( or his ashes) in the back garden at Ireby !