Roll always.......

bald bloke:
How the hell do i show one of my saved videos from Facebook on here without my profile flashing up prior to the video being shown ? I had a good roll away video to show.

Put it on YouTube then post the link here.

Sent from my mobile.

I have left my handbrake off a couple of times in the past :blush: …(although tbf I can count on one hand how many times over the years), but that vid that was once on here, of the old guy chasing his truck down the sliproad carrying a lump of wood has cured me of ever doing it again, as I always think of it when getting out of my motor, so I then do a re.check. :smiley:

A driver who I worked with on a previous firm stopped in a town to buy a paper and noticed one of the firm’s trucks passing the shop, he looked to see who it was, and then it dawned on him…it was his with the handbrake he had left off. :smiley:

Go to m.facebook.com/ScaniaTrucks/?locale2=en_GB click on “posts” and you’ll see a proper roll away where the Sawyers driver was lucky to avoid injury.

Many moons ago I worked for an outfit which operated several "D"series Fords(late 1960s/early 70s).These had a dash mounted handbrake which only needed a gentle tug to set the brake with a little red light as proof.Unfortunately,lorry drivers as a rule not being delicate flowers,the gentle tug became a huge yank.(not american)The brake then became stuck on as you couldn’t pull the lever far enough to release it.So drivers opted to use the deadman/trailer brake instead.Unfortunately our yard was on a slope and as the air leaked out of the trailer,the brake released and the lorry headed downhill and buried itself in the office.This happened numerous times.

Im always double checking handbrakes …at the moment I have been fitting kits so the vehicle instead of the ding ding has the audible handbrake not applied …Surely professional drivers do not need all this technology to remind them to apply a handbrake ■■? Do these people always forget to apply their cars handbrake as well …No matter what system is fitted by the manufacturer, as said previously there is no excuse for not applying the handbrake

My ‘tug test’ procedure is this:

Tug
Tug
Park brake
Neutral

Putting the park brake on should always be a part of the tug test procedure.

Maoster i’d be interested how many of these roll away employees use Hill Hold, or as MAN like to call it now, Easy Start :unamused: which actually was an aerosol of ether and used to be squirted in the air intake of old Diesels to fire 'em up.

Hill Hold has no place in a lorry anyway, which should at all times be controlled by a driver, if a bloody wheel attendant can’t manage to control their vehicle (with auto box) on a slope without that nanny device, then they should walk down the nick and hand their bloody licence in.

If the driver uses the parking brake gently as as a secondary brake to control the vehicle at junctions and maneuvering, it becomes second nature to reach for the thing, plus the other problem of being able to exit the vehicle with hill hold doing it’s task and one of these arse-on-fire-flyers could be yards from the vehicle before the sodding thing releases.

No we don’t need more idiot alarms, i don’t want the the bloody thing screaming at me when i open the drivers door to reverse, hasn’t the sodding job been dumbed down enough already.

Can’t wait till the next gen of motors that try to correct the steering when the lane guidance system dislikes the route you are taking, oh yes it’s coming…what could possibly go wrong :unamused:

Silly little buttons for a very important feature de-values the importance of the act of applying the spring-brake.

Change for the sake of change.

You can’t beat pulling on an erect knob, that even has a bit at the end to ensure a firm grip, and triumphantly beating it into flaccid submission, as the whoosh of escaping air signals the climax of the act.

I love pulling my knob at the end of a long, hard shift.

I’ve been reading this and wondering how you can forget to put a hand brake/parking brake on. It’s now and always has been second nature to me. We used to have a bloody great lever to put it on and with the old AEC’s it was between you and the door… read pain in the arse. Maybe the old stuff should be brought back to teach people how to drive without all the gimmickry and distractions, but then again, maybe some drivers need to grow a pair and not be forced in to rushing around.

Juddian, our version of easy start is called ‘start ya ■■■■■■■■ :laughing:

norb:
Im always double checking handbrakes …at the moment I have been fitting kits so the vehicle instead of the ding ding has the audible handbrake not applied …Surely professional drivers do not need all this technology to remind them to apply a handbrake ■■? Do these people always forget to apply their cars handbrake as well …No matter what system is fitted by the manufacturer, as said previously there is no excuse for not applying the handbrake

No one is saying there’s an excuse for it, obviously. But just like you I make mistakes, as does everyone else, anyone who thinks they could never forget to put the handbrake on is deluded.

I’ve never forgotten to put the handbrake on, actually that’s not true, I used to drive a tractor with a Vario gearbox, when you stopped the transmission would hold it, until you turned it off and the oil pressure disappeared, then it didn’t, my guess is we all did it, I think there was then a software update to bring a warning up if you turned it off without the handbrake. But that’s a bit like the couple up to a trailer, on a slope, you forget to put the handbrake on, but nothing moves, that’s the difference from doing it in your car.

Anyway before I remembered I’m thick as ■■■■! I was gonna say but I have left my baby gate open a couple of times, I bet I’m not in the minority on that one, I got away with it, like most of our lapses of concentration, but even with stakes that high, I still had that lapse.

So sorry to the holier than thou lot, but you’re full of ■■■■ and deluded fools if you think it could never happen to you, we all have lapses of concentration, think about this thread when you next forget to lock your door, leave the oven on, or forget to put your handbrake on!!

I’m a MAN driver. My routine is to get out the truck when I’ve hooked my trailer up then immediately climb back up and check the hand brake is definitely on. Last job is to knock the trailer park brake off then stand by it for a few seconds to see if it moves.
The warning beeper is stupid. It beeps to warn me the hand brake is off when the ignition is on or the engine is running if I open the door but not when off. As I always turn it off when hookin up it doesn’t work. Why not beep regardless of the ignition key position?

I drive a MAN TGX.

My double check is to glance at the dashboard as I climb out - you can see the red P more easily than the parking brake lever.

Roymondo:
Our MANs all have a VERY loud alarm if you open the door without setting the parking brake BEEP BEEP “WARNING - APPLY PARK BRAKE” which repeats until you do actually apply the parking brake (even if you immediately close the door).

Pretty sure it’s not a standard MAN fitment.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

All the beeps and warnings can be turned down in the settings. It’s usually folk who don’t wear seatbelts do this so the chime is unaudable

chester1:
All the beeps and warnings can be turned down in the settings. It’s usually folk who don’t wear seatbelts do this so the chime is unaudable

Excellent point ^^^^ Without fail every time I jump back after a weekend off and after cleaning the coffee spills and wondering just wtf they’ve done to the radio presets I have to turn the volume of the alarms back up. If you don’t want to wear a seat belt I don’t care, but why not plug the belt in behind you to stop it bleeping instead of muting the volume?

I’ve been through all the menu options in our lorries and never found one to mute/adjust the volume of the warning beeps. Besides, as I said I’m pretty sure the system I mentioned is an aftermarket job - it only speaks in English, for a start.

Something that hasn’t been mentioned is turning off the engine when you get out to go to connect your lines. If you turn the engine off, many modern vehicles put the brake on for you. If it doesn’t there’ll be an alarm when you open the door. It’s a habit I’ve got myself into for about ten years, no need to leave any modern engine idling for more than half a minute.

mick.mh2racing:
no need to leave any modern engine idling for more than half a minute.

So they keep telling us, just i don’t recall so many turbocharger failures as in recent times, fortunately not on any of my charges (famous last utterings :blush: ) cos i let the motor warm up and cool down.

ive had it once on oodles of years of driving.
as soon as my bum faces outwards,i have to look and see that the handbrakes still on.
obviously easier when your in a 5 stepper though.
a guy i worked with years ago couldnt get out the drivers door so climbed out of the window.
halfway out he then fell out head first,kicked off the handbrake on the way out,and watched the truck and trailer roll down the docks and into the river clyde.job done. :slight_smile: