Merc actros fault

’ EAB characteristics may change ’ came up on the dashboard earlier, any idea what it means ? brakes are all working no leaks etc etc it had only came on when i picked up another trailer before just curious ?

its a merc actros 2548 on a 09 plate

Just more electronic assistive nonsense telling you its not happy. Chances are the trailer you picked up wasn’t compatible with the ABS/EBC system on the unit so it threw a hissy fit.

weve been told by our merc on site fitter to pretty much ignore all amber warnings,only take notice if its red! :unamused: .trailers usually cause any faults on our backsore axors displays.the best cure would be buy volvo in my opinion! :smiley:

If we took notice of every fault shown on the dashboard we would never get anywhere. We have Volvo, Daf and Merc units and they all have a tendency to show non-existent faults from time to time.

The favourite is a fault on the trailer when you are solo or on the Daf, handbrake not applied when your are travelling at 50mph.

Don’t know the answer, just follow the advice given by the fitters.

i had an idea it would just be the truck throwing a hissy, just ignored it an cleared it off the screen, just wondred as it went from yellow to red then back to yellow then tha was it !!

It’s just the trailer, I pick up different trailers of which some are dutch, I get all kinds of warnings with different trailers as the Merc’s seem to only like certain trailers’ electrics. That one you have is the ABS or could need trailers brakes looking at.

Kerbdog:
It’s just the trailer, I pick up different trailers of which some are dutch, I get all kinds of warnings with different trailers as the Merc’s seem to only like certain trailers’ electrics. That one you have is the ABS or could need trailers brakes looking at.

the brakes r fine, double checked all that before i headed back, i thought there was an actual sign to say its the abs tho ? or an actual light on the dash

I found the main fault with the Merc was the boss for swapping the Topline Scanias we had for them :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

waddy640:
If we took notice of every fault shown on the dashboard we would never get anywhere. We have Volvo, Daf and Merc units and they all have a tendency to show non-existent faults from time to time.
The favourite is a fault on the trailer when you are solo or on the Daf, handbrake not applied when your are travelling at 50mph.
Don’t know the answer, just follow the advice given by the fitters.

I agree about the DAF, I do cover for a friend who has a 105XF, constant warnings on the dash, handbrake not applied,engine oil warning - STOP together with an audible alarm are a nightmare, they just come on when you are driving down the motorway, scares the crap out of you, glad I don’t have to drive it very often, he said just ignore everything - but what if …

There is a symbol for ABS but the electronics seem to get confused with different trailers. I wouldn’t worry about it, just clear the fault from the dashboard

Conor:
Just more electronic assistive nonsense telling you its not happy. Chances are the trailer you picked up wasn’t compatible with the ABS/EBC system on the unit so it threw a hissy fit.

The Renault Premiums are the same - it doesnt like certain trailers… :unamused:
The older trailers without ABS are brilliant (built in 1995), comes up with no faults at all, the white Paccar Parts (2003) are a bit hit and miss but some come up with “bulb fault” and the newer aerodynamic Salvesen trailers are always showing (non existent) bulb faults - luckily I rarely get one of those :wink:

[quote=“DAF95XF” always showing (non existent) bulb faults[/quote]
I was in a TGA last night it would every so often throw up lh trai. indicator faulty, then a while later it’d say rh trai. indicator faulty. Both were fine at the start of the shift, and the end of the shift :imp:

mark h:
’ EAB characteristics may change ’ came up on the dashboard earlier, any idea what it means ? brakes are all working no leaks etc etc it had only came on when i picked up another trailer before just curious ?

Mark ours do this on ocasional trailers, its usually a fault on the trailer wiring somewhere as all our trailers are the same there shouldn’t be a compatability issue with ‘certain trailers’, they’re all Denisons. Also, if you are pulled into a checkpoint the first thing the guy asks you to do ,or was recently unless they’ve changed tack and moved onto another lastest craze, was to ask you to leave your engine running and ask yuo if you had any warning lights on. Just hope you have a good explanation if you have even an amber one on !! :smiley:

mark h:

It’s information Mark,it goes out after a second when you first hook into a trailer with ABS after pulling a trailer without ABS.Clever isnt it!

ellies dad:

mark h:

It’s information Mark,it goes out after a second when you first hook into a trailer with ABS after pulling a trailer without ABS.Clever isnt it!

Yours might do, our faulty ones stay lit on amber reporting the fault.

Is this the offending truck Mark?

ellies dad:

Yeah, thats a Merc Matt, German i think they are.

ellies dad:

nar not this 1 matt, this 1 is only a long distance cab, had a different trailer today no problem, dropped an swapped in 12 quays before for the same make , model of trailer and same warning came up, just cancelled it !! :grimacing:

Mine comes up with that fault occasionally, after a fair sized bit of load has been taken off, only on some of our trailers. Once I’ve driven a few km and braked a few times it clears itself.

dropped said trailer earlier, expecting the truck to go back to normal, still on the dash sayin its changed characteristics etc and a abs light is on now, but as i only had 20 mins driving time i just dumped it in the yard, i should think it wil have cleared itself by the morning i hope !!

would it affect it anyways that i give the abs lead a quick spray with wd40 ? shouldnt do as av done it to tons of trucks, just not a merc ? :unamused: