Erf/man handbrake

hi,can anyone help me please, the other day i got suspended from work for allegedly not putting the handbrake on when parking truck up at the end of my shift the truck rolled forward sometime later (at least 15 minutes) into a barrier.
i am positive i did put it on cos i sat in the cab for about 5 minutes or so doing paperwork etc with the engine running and air tanks full and the truck didn’t roll .
The only thing i can think off is i may have caught the handbrake with my big jacket when i was collecting my stuff together,but still the truck didnt roll.
Anyone had any experiance or read anything similar i can use in my defence at a meeting with my boss.
thanks

What truck was it…?
OOOoops! Erf/MAN, just seen it.! Cant help. Never been in one. As long as it hasnt killed anyone chalk it down to experience.

harry:
What truck was it…?
OOOoops! Erf/MAN, just seen it.! Cant help. Never been in one. As long as it hasnt killed anyone chalk it down to experience.

was hoping to save my job harry thanks anyway

gezt Don`t worry ,there will be drivers along later with knowledge of these handbrakes & they will give you advice.

There was a whole thread on here recently about park brake failure, can’t find it now, but I think that was in regards to DAF’s. Might be relevant none the less.

GET the firm to have the brake system tested
throughly, AS it may be that a ventil which is at fault,
this requires a complete check,and may prove that you
are not at fault,

brit pete:
GET the firm to have the brake system tested
throughly, AS it may be that a ventil which is at fault,
this requires a complete check,and may prove that you
are not at fault,

thats being done as we speak, the truck is in top condition and serviced every 6 weeks or so. thanks for your reply

our erfs have all got signs fitted on the dash at side of parking brake warning that parking brake must be applied before leaving cab, weve had quite a few where the parking brakes been left off and hit walls , buildings etc,last one cost 6,000 pounds and there repairing crash bars this week.
from what ive been told they were all left off , not failed, but the company driver who did it wasnt sacked he got a written warning[ and he caused a lot of damage to building truck hit] , the last agency lad who did it was back driving for us about a month later
i must admit it something im quite paranoid about as i always have a look up when i get to bottom step of truck to make sure its on before closing door to go home.
anyway best of luck with your boss

Original thread HERE.

It’s not the make of vehicle that is important. It is the manufacturer of the component.

Although I have been driving a long time, I always double check my handbrake. even to the point of going back to the truck on the Channel Tunnel. I tend to do it more with my I Shift than a manual box.

Yeah , There was that picture of that Dutch MAN that rolled over the front of the ferry a couple of weeks back. There seems to be too many incidents for it all to be driver error. I mean there are not many people who park outside the garage on a boat & forget the handbrake. The truck would start rolling before you got out & closed the door.

This is just perhaps a stuipid idea but
what about makeing the HANDBRAKE
lever standout from the dashboard by
haveing it in a bright colour so that one
notices it position staight away,and
can see in which position it is much
better, I also go back and check
so your not alone Wheel Nut.,

harry:
Yeah , There was that picture of that Dutch MAN that rolled over the front of the ferry a couple of weeks back. There seems to be too many incidents for it all to be driver error. I mean there are not many people who park outside the garage on a boat & forget the handbrake. The truck would start rolling before you got out & closed the door.

do you know where i can find the artical about that harry

I always did a double check before locking up. But those cabs are so high these days that its a matter of standing on the bottom step to see the silly little hand brake . Its such an important & powerful part of the truck I wonder why the designers try to make tiny & cute & blend in with the screen wipers. Scania was the first to put it on the dash & its been downhill ever since!

There is an easy and readily available solution, and not too expensive.

Similar to the system that ‘kills’ the radio speakers when the door is open (for night time deliveries in residential areas), it is an alarm that sounds when the door is opened and the parking brake is not set.

For anyone that operates from a yard that is on a gradient, the fitment of such a device should be part of a standard risk assessment of the workplace.

gezt It was in the national newspapers with a picture . The boat was Norfolk Line & so was the truck. I believe it was the Holland to Felixtowe crossing . Give Norfolk Line FX a ring and see what the result was…

cheers harry

It was Dunkirk to Dover Ferry.

Here it is.
thesun.co.uk/article/0,2-2006360129,00.html

thanks again harry