Erf/man handbrake

Krankee:
There is an easy and readily available solution, and not too expensive.

Similar to the system that ‘kills’ the radio speakers when the door is open (for night time deliveries in residential areas), it is an alarm that sounds when the door is opened and the parking brake is not set.

The Mercs I’ve driven for DHL have exactly that, bleeping noise and a voice that says “Warning, handbrake not applied.”

Krankee:

Similar to the system that ‘kills’ the radio speakers when the door is open (for night time deliveries in residential areas), it is an alarm that sounds when the door is opened and the parking brake is not set.

For anyone that operates from a yard that is on a gradient, the fitment of such a device should be part of a standard risk assessment of the workplace.

Yes, for safety reasons I agree that they are a good idea, but I personally find them a right pain in the arse. The DAFs are alright as they make a ta-da-da-dan ta-da-da-dan noise when you open the door with the handbrake off, and that’s perfectly acceptable, but some of them have 120dB sirens which literally make your ears bleed.

Of course now you’re going to say “so what’s your argument, they’re doing the job they’re supposed to” right? All well and good but I always open the door when reversing the trailer in a curve as I find it much more comfortable like that than trying to twist my back round and lean over the window ledge to see what’s going on. :bulb:

Hey

I to am paranoid about leaving the handbrake off, not just in a truck but also in me car.

My car handbrake isn’t very good and so as an extra precaution I always leave my car in gear.

You could try doing this, however it would be up to the person who uses the truck next to check that it is in neutral before starting the engine.

Hope all goes well and you get driving again soon.

still waitng for firm to decide but thanks for all advice etc.

HGV_Mikey:
My car handbrake isn’t very good and so as an extra precaution I always leave my car in gear.

You could try doing this, however it would be up to the person who uses the truck next to check that it is in neutral before starting the engine.

Leaving a truck in gear isn’t a good idea usualy. The clutch is air operated in most trucks now. If the air pressure drops enough between shifts, it will be impossible to dis-engage the clutch, so very difficult to get it out of gear or start it.

Krankee:

For anyone that operates from a yard that is on a gradient, the fitment of such a device should be part of a standard risk assessment of the workplace.

Thats OK but not ideal, especially when reversing and you want to open the door to check the last few inches of travel or maybe reversing under a trailer. No, whats needed is an alarm that sounds soon as the weight is off the drivers seat not opening the door. :unamused:

very very paranoid about checking the handbrake is on after a incident in colchester which involved my unit running into the side of a topline scania.

i thought i put it on , got out of the cab and locked the doors and walked over to the garage. when i heard shouting turned round and my truck was on the move. just as i put the key in the door it hit the scanny. :blush: :blush: :cry: .

pure and simple driver error and something i vigorously check from now on.the bloke i ran into was sound as a pound and said he need waking up anyway :open_mouth: :open_mouth: . we exchanged details got back to the yard and didnt get a grilling at all just the pee taken out of me which was enough :blush:

drivers and screwdrivers, im the latter :wink:

like you say i could have caught it picking my wallet of the dashboard or simply not clicked it in place. i just dont know :unamused:

jon

thanks for all helpful replies, got meeting on monday so have to wait and see.

gezt:

and the result was…■■?

Driveroneuk:

gezt:

and the result was…■■?

Lost the job even tho we proved i had put handbrake on and they said vehcile had rolled approx 15 minutes after i left it.they changed tack and said if i did catch it getting my gear out that was still classed as negligance.
Now had an appeal meeting and the new guy said he wants to examine the handbrake effects more closely because he was unhappy that 1st guy didn’t do that but left it to use drivers to do. Still not holding my breath though,i will just have to accept it.Union don’t want to go to tribunal and i can’t afford the risk of losing and paying the companies expenses.