Forgot the handbrake

Apparently one of our night trunkers (agency, I think although I might be wrong) managed to hook up to his trailer at Charnock Services with neither the unit nor the trailer handbrake applied last night. No one was hurt, fortunately, but he managed to roll the truck into the shop building. How can this happen? If it’s anything like all the other motorway services, the truck park should be about half a mile from the shop building.
In all seriousness, he was very lucky to get away without hurting himself or anyone else, although I imagine the police will have had something to say. If he is agency, I don’t imagine he’ll be working for us again.

i’ve seen it happen a few times, they usually say something along the lines of, the handbrake lever must of slipped off.

I reckon most of the time it’s due to the driver getting distracted during his couple-up routine.

Saw this last night:

Believe it or not it wasn’t an agency driver!

Here we go. Another thread for all the agency haters to jump on.
The main point here is no one was hurt and hopefully regardless of employment status they won’t be making the same mistake again.
I’ll admid I’ve had a runaway on coupling up and yes it was driver error, but I was lucky and managed to stop it within a few feet by pulling the red air line. So no harm done. I wonder how many more of us have made the same mistake and more to the point how many will admit to it?

Why does it have to be an agency driver, could have been either a newbie and or similarly enough an experience driver thats just rushing, missed it, thought he’d done it or simply forgot…long day and wanting that first pint… and all that …
Anyway everyone is prone to make mistakes in life, that’s what makes us all human

When i first passed i coupled up then did a couple of tug test and then jumped out did the dog clip then the airlines, lifted the legs then released the trailer brakes. Started walking to the rear to put number plate on and the wagon starts rolling forward. Lucky for me i had my mate with me in the cab and he reached over and put the unit park brake on. Silly mistake that i made. Havnt done it again thou.

A runaway requires multiple failures to happen and IMO is one of the worst mistakes you can make. First thing I check in the morning is the hand brake not applied warning buzzer, your first line of defence against a roll away. Then you have to connect to the trailer without the trailer brake being on. Even with those first two mistakes you can still save it from happening by being ready to yank the red airline or, if the trailer brake was on but the cab brake isn’t, immediately put the trailer brake back on as soon as it starts to roll.

But most don’t, they put the lines on without even looking what’s going on and hit the brake then run back to the cab.

To make so many mistakes in a short space of time given the possible consequences just shows a general lack of interest in safety.

Truckbling:
Saw this last night:

Where was this ? ( looks like a K+N Drinks Logistics Depot ), and what`s the story ?.

I think we’ve all,at sometime or another, had a mishap with hand/trailer brakes in our illustrious careers? :laughing:

I’ve done it. Rolled across the yard at Tesco Harlow. Lucky trailer parking opposite was empty so just stood there on catwalk and waited for it to hit the buffers. Although wouldn’t have been a great loss smashing up one of those godawful day cab Scanias. Remember those things!?

Oh and on the agency driver debate, I spent three years on agency, and some of the best drivers I ever met were agency drivers. Unlike many of the blokes employed with the big logistics co’s with their puffed out chests and ‘Im superior than you attitude’, most of my experience of agency was going round picking up the pieces from these blokes, who’s favourite phrase was ‘Im not doing that’, and then wonder why agencies are used. They are used because they offer flexibility. Agency drivers make mistakes, everyone does. But any agency driver who makes one big mistake, and sometimes small ones, wont be used by that company again, unlike the employed lads, who can go on making them.

Agency drivers are just drivers like all of us, ones who currently work for an agency.

yep, we all make mistakes,
my mistake — passing my hgv test…

shugg:

Truckbling:
Saw this last night:

Where was this ? ( looks like a K+N Drinks Logistics Depot ), and what`s the story ?.

Sorry to be thick, but what’s the problem here? Trailer on the right still has curtains open so I’m thinking its not ready to go anyway…?

I once forgot my sandwiches and flask. I was on agency then though

midlifetrucker:

Have a look at the picture again and your see a suzie stretched from Unit to trailer - suggesting a roll off!!

Got to hand it to switch logic. Good on him for pretending that he may have once made a mistake just to make us mere mortals feel a little better about ourselves.

olds’kool:

midlifetrucker:

Have a look at the picture again and your see a suzie stretched from Unit to trailer - suggesting a roll off!!

Or a drive off! :open_mouth:

dreamingofoz:
Got to hand it to switch logic. Good on him for pretending that he may have once made a mistake just to make us mere mortals feel a little better about ourselves.

Well, one has to try and fit in with the peasants…my mistakes could fill this forum. In face Waynedl posted a pic of my biggest only yesterday. He best keep an eye out, Bertie is on his way with his favourite machete…

Human nature being what it is its been done before and will be done again. NOBODYS PERFECT well barring the odd one or two on here. Eddie.