Roadworks speed limit

I have been meaning to ask this… why oh why when in roadworks for instance the 62 or m1 do some or the majority of LGV HGV not do the 50? Am i missing the point here do the cameras not work or something? Or am i being a spaz and just do the usual 56!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I know I’m limited to 52 anyway so I just keep my foot down all the way through, still get idiots sitting at 40 and 45 knowing we can’t get past them.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

It’s called common sense. What do the signs say? Average speed limit. Not go fast then slow down for the camera the speed up and slow down again and again. 50mph means 50mph average I. E you have to average at least 50mph over a set distance. Trucks do 56mph mostly so 50 plus 10% +2mph equals 57mph. So in theory you should be able to do 57mph without getting busted. I have always gone through average speed limits flat out in trucks where possible and never had a speeding ticket. Other issue with car drivers is 50mph on their speedo is not 50mph. Most likely 47-48mph. I use the tacho speed to drive at the speed limit wherever I go. 16kmh equals 10mph 32kmh equals 20mph 48kmh equals 30mph and so on, handy if you know your 16 times tables.

simcor:
It’s called common sense. What do the signs say? Average speed limit. Not go fast then slow down for the camera the speed up and slow down again and again. 50mph means 50mph average I. E you have to average at least 50mph over a set distance. Trucks do 56mph mostly so 50 plus 10% +2mph equals 57mph. So in theory you should be able to do 57mph without getting busted. I have always gone through average speed limits flat out in trucks where possible and never had a speeding ticket. Other issue with car drivers is 50mph on their speedo is not 50mph. Most likely 47-48mph. I use the tacho speed to drive at the speed limit wherever I go. 16kmh equals 10mph 32kmh equals 20mph 48kmh equals 30mph and so on, handy if you know your 16 times tables.

interesting…

to be honest I can’t be bothered with the above I just do 50mph and don’t ‘fret’ if I ‘accidentally’ go to 55mph in roadworks as like simcor says it is an ‘average’ limit

while we are on this topic of ‘average’ speed limits…does anyone know ‘how’ the average speed limit cameras on motorways work? obviously the ‘average out’ your speed, BUT…‘over how many cameras’? ie do you go past the first 2 and those two average out your speed so if you do 50mph at camera 1 and 80mph and camera 2 (not that you can with a truck, but with a car…) they average you out at 65mph? or is it over 3, 4 cameras? and if they do this, does it mean they record and memorise your registration? if so they must be memorising hell of a lot of registrations on the M25!!! what is their limit in memorisation? :smiley:

I often wondered as I see motorists doing 90mph on M25 and the cameras don’t flash, of course they may not work or be there, but do these people know all the faulty cameras? and how? do they speed through all of them to find out if they work or not LOL

With you saying that simcor… i thought i heard someone say the police or goverment body is doing away with the 10% but i get what your saying its just always interested me. Time to be a foot down freddy and get the bajesus out of dodge.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

nobodysdriving:

simcor:

interesting…

to be honest I can’t be bothered with the above I just do 50mph and don’t ‘fret’ if I ‘accidentally’ go to 55mph in roadworks as like simcor says it is an ‘average’ limit

while we are on this topic of ‘average’ speed limits…does anyone know ‘how’ the average speed limit cameras on motorways work? obviously the ‘average out’ your speed, BUT…‘over how many cameras’? ie do you go past the first 2 and those two average out your speed so if you do 50mph at camera 1 and 80mph and camera 2 (not that you can with a truck, but with a car…) they average you out at 65mph? or is it over 3, 4 cameras? and if they do this, does it mean they record and memorise your registration? if so they must be memorising hell of a lot of registrations on the M25!!! what is their limit in memorisation? :smiley:

I often wondered as I see motorists doing 90mph on M25 and the cameras don’t flash, of course they may not work or be there, but do these people know all the faulty cameras? and how? do they speed through all of them to find out if they work or not LOL

You can get done for each couple of Camera’s I was told on my speed awareness, so a mistake around the M60 could see you quite easily banned in theory.

Dunno if it’s all of them but some average cameras definitely do work. My wife did a speed awareness course a year ago and a couple of others on the course had been done by motorway average speed cameras.

Can also say the permanent average cameras on roads in and around Birmingham work as they got the wife!

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Sorry to be unpopular. But can I ask why I should have trucks wanting to do 56 running stupidly close to the back of my car when I’m doing the legal limit. In a 50 limit, my speedo reads 52 cos that is actually 50. Do I not have the right to drive legally without running the risk of being trampled over by a truck running just a metre or 2 behind me? They will get nowhere any quicker by doing this. If a driver really wants to exceed the speed limit, let him overtake. But please keep off my back bumper.

I’ve spent over 40 years teaching drivers how to drive progressively and safely and I find this very disappointing.

Maybe the thought of a flattened minibus might make professional drivers consider their actions.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
Sorry to be unpopular. But can I ask why I should have trucks wanting to do 56 running stupidly close to the back of my car when I’m doing the legal limit. In a 50 limit, my speedo reads 52 cos that is actually 50. Do I not have the right to drive legally without running the risk of being trampled over by a truck running just a metre or 2 behind me? They will get nowhere any quicker by doing this. If a driver really wants to exceed the speed limit, let him overtake. But please keep off my back bumper.

I’ve spent over 40 years teaching drivers how to drive progressively and safely and I find this very disappointing.

Maybe the thought of a flattened minibus might make professional drivers consider their actions.

Pete [emoji38] [emoji38]

Totally agree with what your saying Pete but the issue is not whether someone wants to go through the roadworks at 50 or 56mph. That is entirely up to the individual driver to chose to do or not do and tailgating is not fine either. What also isn’t fine is the morons that sit overtaking nothing moving out into lane 2 or lane 3 for no reason and stopping vehicles that can choose to overtake slower vehicles I. E trucks that can’t use the 3rd lane to overtake. They sit for mile after mile not keeping left which we all know is an offence and then they do exactly the same once they are out of the roadworks at 70mph upwards, the majority don’t mind speeding and hogging lanes when there are not any cameras around. Not to mention the amount that drive at less then 50mph and then constantly brake every time they come to a camera.

At the end of the day if I wanted to do 50 or 100mph through the roadworks that would be my choice and I would face any legal consequences for doing so as would anyone. There are a lot of bad drivers about and so one doing less than 50 and braking harshly or flying past a truck as they come into the roadworks and pulling in front of you and anchoring their speed down to less than 50 in front of a trucks are more dangerous than someone trying to keep to 50mph at least.

People in general need to learn to use their mirrors on a motorway more as the majority just look forward and nothing else.

We will probably have to agree to disagree on the speed aspect but we have all seen the standard of a lot of motorway driving. I very rarely can drive at 50mph through the roadworks due to these muppets we have to share the roads with. It’s always less than 50mph most of the time because people don’t use the capacity of the roads properly.

I understand your frustration and fully agree that many car drivers have no understanding or knowledge of what is happening around them.

But I may be guilty of being in lane 2 at 50mph. This can happen when happily overtaking in lane 2 at 70 then coming across a 50 limit. At this point it’s not normally possible to move into lane 1 as the trucks are travelling far too close to each other. So the only option is to slow gently to 50 and have trucks undertaking on the left as well as breathing up the back bumper.

It does seem that driving legally is fast becoming untrendy. But I, for one, wish to drive legally and properly to be best of my ability. And I certainly don’t want the publicity of getting done for speeding!

I get the annoyance that this can cause to the truck driver behind, but perhaps he should work out how little he’s going to lose by keeping a proper separation distance. I would never, ever, deliberately put myself in lane 2 in order to slow anyone down. That would be barmy. But it is sometimes inevitable because the “pros” are making it impossible to move to lane 1.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

As I said Pete that fine, it’s the idiots that do it because they can’t be bothered to use the motorway correctly or speed up and slow down or not keep left when they can. I don’t sit up the chuff of cars if I can’t get past I just have to accept I’m stuck behind them, unlike other truck drivers that use lane 3 to overtake. Creeping over the limit a tad is OK and I have never been pulled for it or received a speeding ticket, but using lane 3 would certainly draw attention to a truck by the police. But plenty of truck drivers do it.

Couldn’t agree more with Peter Smythe above.

Nothing will change until either we get more unmarked police who start issuing Dangerous Driving summons’ for tailgating, or as i suspect will be the next thing, that the active cruise system is modified to apply without cruise control being activated, and the vehicle will actively brake and force these chumps to give a suitable following distance.
They’ll all be crying in their soup but as with all these mods only have themselves to blame.

By the way for what its worth, unless its quiet early morning when 50 can be maintained constantly, i go through the road works at around 45/46 mph in the inside lane or less if someone in front in my lorry (seldom use the motorway in my car and have no wish to be a victim of billy big lorry either :unamused: ), the reason being i do not wish to get involved with the trucker heroes who are so pushed that they are willing to risk everything, mainly the lives of the poor sods in smaller vehicles in front, for the sake of two bloody minutes…if they learned to bloody drive some of them could make that 2 mins up by not taking 14 shunts to park at the next delivery point.

One other point, why do professional drivers (well many of them think they are) think that car drivers, the majority of whom are not vocational drivers, should be as experienced and road savvy :bulb: as someone who’s driving full time, you have to let their lack of rushing about like their arse is on fire wash over you.
You wouldn’t expect to be as good as the car driver in question at their full time job, that too would be unreasonable.

There is a responsibility in being a lorry driver, part of that is acting like a professional, and not just taking a pride in your work but when it goes wrong the old bill will have expected professional driving from someone in a lorry :bulb:
The population is growing and will continue to do so, remember folks you voted for it, and traffic volumes will increase massively as one might expect as a result, so it might be good for your sanity (and possibly keep you out of jail) to sit back and have a rethink about what you’re (we’re) doing and just don’t be in such a bloody headlong rush all the time.