50MPH in roadworks

I must apologise to the “professional” hgv driver, who was so close to me on the M6 that he was almost touching my rear bumper.
I was in a merc vito, when I eventually got into a position where I could move into the 1st lane I got another dose of air horn with a [zb] sign, silly me ,I did not realise that the 50 sign didnt apply to top line scanias. what a pity we cant name and shame these bad,[so called proffesional] drivers, who give the industry a bad name.

apology accepted! :smiley:

what’s a vito?
do you realise that most car and van speedos are out by about 10%? therefore your speedo may read 50mph, but you are probably doing 45mph.

I am regularly overtaken in the roadworks on M11 & M25. This is probably due to the fact that I am one of the muppets that comply with the 50mph speed limit.

Never can work these [zb] out , if youve got to *speed* & risk points on your licence to get the job done- then pack it in :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: . Trouble is they never learn till theyve killed someone :unamused: :unamused: :frowning: :frowning: :neutral_face: :neutral_face:

i’m regularly held up by pillocks doing 45mph in the roadworks. these are the same ones who have trucks limited to 51mph, but show 56mph. and they think everyone else is speeding. FFS can’t they read a rev counter?

waddy640:
I am regularly overtaken in the roadworks on M11 & M25. This is probably due to the fact that I am one of the muppets that comply with the 50mph speed limit.

Thats funny - i thought it was only me that complied with it - with a tacho run off the g/box - a speedo run from the ABS and gps sat-nav that shows road speed- All three can’t be wrong when they show 50mph :smiley:

Steve

Perhaps you could explain how the rev counter will assist me?

neversweat1:

waddy640:

Thats funny - i thought it was only me that complied with it - with a tacho run off the g/box - a speedo run from the ABS and gps sat-nav that shows road speed- All three can’t be wrong when they show 50mph :smiley:

Steve

That was my next point.

I work on facts, numbers that are visible in front of me. Not the supposition that they are all 10% higher than the correct speed.

Try explaining that when you get done for speeding.

I am a realist, I went past three speed camera vans in one day within a fifteen mile radius of each other and another one the following day.

waddy640:
Perhaps you could explain how the rev counter will assist me?

you will know what speed you are doing, by the amount of revs you are doing and the gear you are in, no matter what your tacho is set at.
i used to drive a daf which had a limiter speed of 65mph, but it showed 55mph. therefore i could only know my true speed by the rev counter. 1400rpm was 40mph in 8th low.

By the time I have got my calculator out and worked out my speed it will have changed gear and I will have to start all over again.

It is fine if you drive the same vehicle every day, I have driven 73 different vehicles of four different makes/models in the last 158 days.

There is a flaw in this speed to revs thing -

The driver would have to know exactly what revs in what gear was equal to a certain speed and to know that the driver would firstly need to look at the speedo and then the rev counter when in a particular gear - BIG PROBLEM - if the speedo is not reading accurately in the first place, how is the driver to determine it ?

The other point is that it would depend which gear you are in, to make the calculation. One day I am carrying 3tonnes of polystyrene and the next day 28tonnes of newsprint, so it is unlikely that I would be in the same gear at any given speed. Terrain and individual vehicle settings can make variations.

ROG:
There is a flaw in this speed to revs thing -

The driver would have to know exactly what revs in what gear was equal to a certain speed and to know that the driver would firstly need to look at the speedo and then the rev counter when in a particular gear - BIG PROBLEM - if the speedo is not reading accurately in the first place, how is the driver to determine it ?

very true.

you need to know your truck.

a satnav is a lot easier. :laughing:

What I can’t work out is why these people who stick to 40-45mph in the roadworks, then go on to travel at 85-90mph on the 70mph stretches, seems a bit like double standards. While I’m having a rant :laughing: , why is it people with the most expensive cars seem to run out of money for a hands free kit for the phone :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:

Its not the speed that bothers me in the road works it’s the bloody fools that can’t see another lane to the left of them ( car drivers all ) who come along side of you and wont pull out when you need to. Then when you droop back to get in behind them they proceed at 40-45 in the second lane all the way, if you try the inside lane is moving quicker bit they are off like a scalded cat and then slow down 1/2 a mile further on and start the whole process again. Also i stick to about 85k’s in the roadworks as it is just enough to stop her bogging down too much and not having to see saw my way through the box for the duration of the cone breeding zone.

Trev_H:
While I’m having a rant :laughing: , why is it people with the most expensive cars seem to run out of money for a hands free kit for the phone :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:

+1, :grimacing:

I think we should chop their hands off to stop them using it :grimacing:

limeyphil:
what’s a vito?
do you realise that most car and van speedos are out by about 10%? therefore your speedo may read 50mph, but you are probably doing 45mph.

I reckon this must be spot on, as i mooch along and get passed all the time, generally by a truck with a plate like this

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e … cation.jpg

Even when the speedo’s showing 60, unless the Revcounter method is out by +100% :grimacing:

Point is you were probably doing about 45 mph in lane 2 with your non calibrated speedometer, if you got back into lane 1 as soon as was possible you did nothing wrong, if not, you were in the wrong.

I have a huge problem with the cars and vans that sit there in lane 2 at 45mph not overtaking anything but using an OVERTAKING lane despite that.

Even worse now is the contraflow on the M4 at Swindon which bans vehicles 0ver 6’6" wide from lanes 2 and 3 so we have to sit behind heavily loaded lorries who cant go any faster and numpties in cars who think 40mph is fine by them :imp:

I stay at 50mph in roadworks but, in the Man that our company uses, the digi tach says 82Km/ph, the speedo says 52km/ph and on the Man we have you can push a button on the dashboard that changes the trip meter into the vehicle’s speed in mph which says 50mph, so which is right, all the Mans are the same, however when in one of our Daf 85’s it says 50mph on the clock but again the digi tacho says 81km/ph? which is right??