Do they know something i dont

when ever i drive through roadworks with average speed cameras.i always slow down to 47mph.but it seems no one else does.with trucks racing past me.WHY do they now that 56 in this zone will not set the cameras off.or am i the only one worried about my license

Cameras are set at ACPO guidelines, i know a lot of people will go don’t trust that but the camera partnerships have got to set them at ACPO guidelines because its not seen as in the publics interest to prosecute under the guideline speeds, so 50mph speed limit camera will be triggered at least 57mph.

Usually cameras are set quite a bit higher than ACPO guidelines to catch the real nutters.

having a truck that can actually do 56mph is prob a rarity itself, any truck ive driven that really does 56mph tends to get past most other trucks quite easilly. So chances of going above 57mph and getting done are pretty slim.

scojo, I’m with you mate, why risk it just for the sake of a few seconds. I’d rather sit at 50 and not have the stress. :smiley:

woody2808:
scojo, I’m with you mate, why risk it just for the sake of a few seconds. I’d rather sit at 50 and not have the stress. :smiley:

and save plenty Fuel too

If your vehicle speedometer is reading 47 then you’re probably really doing about 44/45 mph, so most of the trucks you see overtaking you probably aren’t breaking the speed limit by as much as you think if at all if the limit is set at 50 mph.

tachograph:
If your vehicle speedometer is reading 47 then you’re probably really doing about 44/45 mph, so most of the trucks you see overtaking you probably aren’t breaking the speed limit by as much as you think if at all if the limit is set at 50 mph.

Agreed, used to wonder why trucks flew by when i stayed at 50, my speedo reads 50mph but when it checked it on the satnav i was actually running at 45mph.

Does the changing lanes in between 2 cameras loophole still exist?

thisislondon.co.uk/news/arti … article.do

Yeah it still does work but can still get caught out, if you went though first camera in lane 1 , then changed to lane 2 for the second camera then back to lane 1 for the third camera. Thats ok if they are all working but may find only camera 1 and 3 are working so you havent changed lane.

Most of them don’t work though supposedly, it costs lots of money to set them up. A large part of that is having the bandwidth to transfer the data so i was told by an engineer, espec on roadworks the cost of connecting it all up is silly money and with SPECS cameras very few people speed through them so the people running them don’t make money.

4ni.co.uk/northern_ireland_news.asp?id=79290 one person caught, so its not like the piggy banks the GATSO are where they can make silly money. £60 isnt much to get back for a serious investment.

At roadworks espec in rural locations chances are prob not connected up. But as a placebo they work well, even if most of them don’t work very few people want to test them out.

The SPECS cameras on the A77 are a nightmare where its a 50mph dual carriageway, espec heading northbound cause all the traffic has gone onto the 50mph from a roundabout its all bunched up, cars are nose to tail, gonna be a pileup there one day, there is bus stops and cars joining from sideroads. I sit at 60mph in the car, the speedo no doubt over reading a bit, so more like 57mph and ive never been done for speeding. Think its safer, at least can get away from all the tailgaters.

tachograph:

When I’m driving through roadworks with average speed cameras installed, I use my sat-nav’s speed display; once that reaches 50 (which shows 82KPH on my lorry’s display) I set cruise control and sit at that and that tends to blatter me past most other traffic. :astonished:

What about the safety of the workers ? Or does that not come into it ?

merc0447:
Does the changing lanes in between 2 cameras loophole still exist?

thisislondon.co.uk/news/arti … article.do

Depends if they are using the latest system or not - the latest ones can operate over 3 lanes - had talk on this by the experts at my local advanced driving group.
Works like the ANPR system with all the cameras linked together.

They are AVERAGE speed cameras so anyone who is concerned that they are traveling too fast has plenty of opportunity to slow down.In theory you could travel at 100 mph for 90% of the roadworks and stop for ten minutes on the hard shoulder before the final camera and only register a very low average speed.As to whether people exceed the marked speed limit for the entire duration of the roadworks is debatable,if you have been traveling at 56mph you will only need to drop down a little bit for a short distance to negate any offence.

whisky777:
What about the safety of the workers ? Or does that not come into it ?

What about them?? That was not the original Post…

What workers anyway, very rare you see them now. :unamused:

maybe they know and uderstand- speedlimit is 50mph NOT 47mph.
sorry but about 3mph in all day long is over 40minutes of your driving time lost or the distance of 30 miles.

almost few times every mile we have someone doing 45 or 40 on roadworks or 50 in a normal condition of traffic.

so don’t be suprised if someone will undertake you. it could be me. hope you are doing yours 47mph on lane 1.

just like the SPECS on A14 they set for a 70 mph limit, so in a truck you can at least in theory go through on the limiter (e.g. 56mph) and not get caught so i’ve heard anyway :blush: :blush: .

I have sometimes wondered when going through roadworks and my limiter is at 1mph lower than the roadworks limit why some trucks seem to fly past like i’m parked up. :confused: :angry: :imp: like some said speedo’s are not 100% accurate and no 2 speedo’s are the same.

I’m with you Jan,i sit at 50mph through the roadworks and it really pees me off when i get a car or another vehicle sat at 45-47 in the second lane and wont let other people move out to get round them especially when the inside lane is bloody empty!
Average speed is 50mph,so surely if you travel at 50mph through them your average speed is 50mph,
Am i thinking right or wrong??

scojo72 the only thing which is so bad on uk roads is :

1. hogging in the middle lane. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
  2. lorries overtaking miles and miles.
  3. using fog lights while rain.

it should be like in germany- distance beetwen lorries and overtaking only when you ARE sure you do it quickly. and lane marked around junctions like in holland. no jump in front of you before junction .

right now lot of drivers are using motorways like any other country lane.
joining motorways - rule 1 do it at the speed, dont stop and join at the start of joining lane. it is not like traffic light crossing. you are joining motorway traffic, you cant push to brake other road users. if somebody did space for you join and speed off or if u know u cant get speed quick let him back to lane 1 asap.

im in disbelief that people admit to driving to the speed that there GPS SAT NAV shows…

what happened to driving to the conditions of the roads… ummm no officer my sat nav said i was to do this etc…

sat navs have been proven to be just a guide and not accurate… one of our drivers got caught doing 46 in a 40 limit… his excuse was sat nav said he was doing 42 … £60 fine and 3 points later… he learnt his lesson… i just laughed at him…

zorg2006:
im in disbelief that people admit to driving to the speed that there GPS SAT NAV shows…

what happened to driving to the conditions of the roads… ummm no officer my sat nav said i was to do this etc…

Where has anyone said they drive to the speed shown on the sat nav regardless of road conditions ?

tachograph:

zorg2006:

Where has anyone said they drive to the speed shown on the sat nav regardless of road conditions ?

i quotw from Mr panthers post "

"When I’m driving through roadworks with average speed cameras installed, I use my sat-nav’s speed display; once that reaches 50 (which shows 82KPH on my lorry’s display) I set cruise control and sit at that and that tends to blatter me past most other traffic. "

it seems most drivers in all types of transport are in too much of a hurry… everyday you hear and see the samethings on the roads… ACCIDENTS mainy caused by speed and incompitence…

if the speed limit states 50 then that is the LIMIT nt the speed you have to drive at…