Do they know something i dont

if the limit says is 50 then you drive usually at 47 , yeah bla bla bla - because your skills says you have to do it at 47. and probably the same skills telling you to do 60 or more mph down the hill just to stop all traffic going then up the hill because your so loaded tah your max is 40mph.

drive limit means limit- yes 50. we are not discusing strong rain or windy conditions. don’t get me laugh.

safety speed is other thing, just dont do your 47 on middle lane and then will be fine. let the others to pass.

zorg2006:
im in disbelief that people admit to driving to the speed that there GPS SAT NAV shows…

what happened to driving to the conditions of the roads… ummm no officer my sat nav said i was to do this etc…

tachograph:
Where has anyone said they drive to the speed shown on the sat nav regardless of road conditions ?

zorg2006:
i quotw from Mr panthers post "

"When I’m driving through roadworks with average speed cameras installed, I use my sat-nav’s speed display; once that reaches 50 (which shows 82KPH on my lorry’s display) I set cruise control and sit at that and that tends to blatter me past most other traffic. "

it seems most drivers in all types of transport are in too much of a hurry… everyday you hear and see the samethings on the roads… ACCIDENTS mainy caused by speed and incompitence…

if the speed limit states 50 then that is the LIMIT nt the speed you have to drive at…

I agree with tachograph - Mr panther does not mention anything about the road conditions so making the assumption that he will do that speed whatever the conditions is not the right thing to do IMO.

If I was concerned that a driver may or may not drive to the conditions then I would ask them a question instead of assuming :exclamation: :exclamation:

zorg2006:

tachograph:

zorg2006:
im in disbelief that people admit to driving to the speed that there GPS SAT NAV shows…

what happened to driving to the conditions of the roads… ummm no officer my sat nav said i was to do this etc…

Where has anyone said they drive to the speed shown on the sat nav regardless of road conditions ?

i quotw from Mr panthers post "

"When I’m driving through roadworks with average speed cameras installed, I use my sat-nav’s speed display; once that reaches 50 (which shows 82KPH on my lorry’s display) I set cruise control and sit at that and that tends to blatter me past most other traffic. "

it seems most drivers in all types of transport are in too much of a hurry… everyday you hear and see the samethings on the roads… ACCIDENTS mainy caused by speed and incompitence…

if the speed limit states 50 then that is the LIMIT nt the speed you have to drive at…

Yes, you quoted from my post, however you totally took what I said and assumed I said something else. Of course I drive to the conditions of the road and match my speed accordingly. If it’s safe to do 50MPH through roadworks in a 50 limit then why not do it? If it’s safe to drive at 30 in a 30 limit I’ll do it. If it’s safe to drive at 40 in a 40 limit I’ll do it. If the conditions are such that it’s unsafe to do that speed then I’ll travel slower.

I drive my lorry every working day of the week and know it well, as I’m sure we all do; (in your own lorries, I mean, not mine! :stuck_out_tongue: ) and I know when my vehicle is going faster/slower than the speed presented to me by the sat-nav. In over a year of this practice (when safe to do so and the road/weather conditions allow!) never once have I received notice of me speeding through a SPECS zone.

Yes, I own and use a sat-nav but it has not replaced my own common sense. It’s quite an affront that you, Zorg2006, read my post and then assumed I just blunder along doing what my sat-nav tells me. :angry:

ROG:
I agree with tachograph - Mr panther does not mention anything about the road conditions so making the assumption that he will do that speed whatever the conditions is not the right thing to do IMO.

If I was concerned that a driver may or may not drive to the conditions then I would ask them a question instead of assuming :exclamation: :exclamation:

Thank you, Rog. :smiley: I consider myself a careful and professional driver and of course would always drive to the conditions. I wouldn’t turn my lorry (or any other vehicle I happen to be in charge of) down a lane that was clearly not suitable for the vehicle of the size I’m driving, just because my sat-nav told me to and likewise, I wouldn’t drive at 50MPH if the conditions clearly weren’t suited to that speed.

scojo72:
when ever i drive through roadworks with average speed cameras.i always slow down to 47mph.but it seems no one else does.with trucks racing past me.WHY do they now that 56 in this zone will not set the cameras off.or am i the only one worried about my license

Yes they will when they get the ticket, and they do it because they are stupid and thick

When i drive through roadworks like i have done today on the M1 j28-j25, i just set 50 (normally 49 to be safe) as my max top speed. Its not on cruise control but its just a provisional limiter. But i do hate it when cars are driving along at 45mph. Cars driving too slow on motorways is one of my pet hates!

jase:
it really pees me off when i get a car or another vehicle sat at 45-47 in the second lane and wont let other people move out to get round them especially when the inside lane is bloody empty!

In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you MAY keep up with the traffic in your lane EVEN if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right.

pecjam23:
just like the SPECS on A14 they set for a 70 mph limit, so in a truck you can at least in theory go through on the limiter (e.g. 56mph) and not get caught so i’ve heard anyway :blush: :blush: .

Someone did tell me or is it an URBAN MYTH that some of these specs and normal speed cameras have a loop in the road that can
actualy sense the difference between a car and a truck so I think the 56 mph on the A14 might be out of the window :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

These are average speed cameras, the way I understand average speed means that somewhere there has to be a marker for the camera to register the position of the vehicle and the time it was at that position. The next camera then has the task of marking the position, the time and then doing the calculation. What I can’t see anywhere is the marker these cameras are using,or are they just pointed at some mark on the road?

jan_m:
maybe they know and uderstand- speedlimit is 50mph NOT 47mph.
sorry but about 3mph in all day long is over 40minutes of your driving time lost or the distance of 30 miles.

almost few times every mile we have someone doing 45 or 40 on roadworks or 50 in a normal condition of traffic.

so don’t be suprised if someone will undertake you. it could be me. hope you are doing yours 47mph on lane 1.

what are you going on about.doing 47mph for roadworks does not add more than a few minutes to your journey.i am paid by the hour not the mile.so if it takes a bit longer so what.and whats this about undertaking.i didnt say i sat in the middle lane.i always use lane one.just a matter of interest how many points have you got on your licence.i think you have a few reading what you have posted.

bigdennis:
These are average speed cameras, the way I understand average speed means that somewhere there has to be a marker for the camera to register the position of the vehicle and the time it was at that position. The next camera then has the task of marking the position, the time and then doing the calculation. What I can’t see anywhere is the marker these cameras are using,or are they just pointed at some mark on the road?

A lot of the camera’s work as follows. You approach the first on and it registers that you are travelling in excess of the set speed and takes a photo, this then activates a second camera further along the road. (this is not necessarily the next camera you come too) this will then capture your photo. the cameras are set a specific distance and the distance should be travelled in a set time so if you are quicker than that your speeding end of. the speed the cameras are set and the margin of allowance depends on the force. i know the ones on the M62 at junc 20 a few years ago were set at 50 and were getting 100’s daily. there are ot many people who know which cameras are working at any given time either.

scojo72:
i the only one worried about my license

Probably, I don’t think anyone else is particularly worried about your licence, just as you don’t really need to worry about anyone else’s. You do your thing and let them do theirs. You’re happy doing 5 miles or so less than the limit, they are comfortable doing a bit more than the limit, where’s the problem?

The only comment about the speed chosen is this -
If driving a truck and restricted to one lane only through such situations then it can cause frustration to other truckers if one trucker opts to drive under the SAFE legal limit by a significant amount.

Each driver will have their own take on what is significant.

try coming over here and going through a German Baustelle (roadworks)
It can be like Death race 2000, , I would so like to see the Germans take a
look at how well it is done in the UK, Think about this the majority of accidents on the German motorways happen in the road works WHY:: I do believe the UK has LESS ACCIDENTS IN THEIR ROADWORKS AREA;

Thats a funny comment earlier. If you change lanes, will the camera notice. Of course it wont, they put a man on the moon, you can send an email to Oz in 2 seconds, concorde could do mach 2 but cameras cant tell if you have changed lanes. OMG.

Id just go through the roadworks at 56 or faster, why not, there is only guys there working, stuff em, you dont know their kids or wives or families, why worry. I mean, they only put signs up saying narrow lanes and reduced speeds for worker safety for a laugh.

And if there isnt anyone working there, maybe its because they are waiting for tarmac, cement or other equipment, or maybe they work nights when you drive in the day or they work in the day when you only work at night and you cant really just pick up bolted in barrier for a few hours while the workers are at home or collect 3 miles worth of cones for 2 days at the weekend.

Big Jase:
Thats a funny comment earlier. If you change lanes, will the camera notice. Of course it wont, they put a man on the moon, you can send an email to Oz in 2 seconds, concorde could do mach 2 but cameras cant tell if you have changed lanes. OMG.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Cameras could easily notice you changing lanes and do you for speeding the technology is there.

The reason they don’t work is because they rushed the legislation through and only tested them using one lane at a time, because it was faster and cheaper to implement.

I am sure at some point they will do the testing and implement legislation so these cameras can be used to catch people changing lanes.

But as i said before camera 1 could be working and camera 2 not working then camera 3 working so changing lane would end up in the same lane and get done for speeding.