Roadworks speed limits..... is it just me?

I feel like i pick them i really do! :laughing:

If the speed limit in the roadworks says 50mph, and the way is clear ahead, you can do that limit, thats fine isn’t it? well i think so anyway…

I keep getting people sat at 35/40 then 30 then 40 going through the roadworks on the M6, i’m just confused rather then annoyed as to why people do this? if the speed limit says clearly 50mph. :confused:

The roadworks on the M1 at the bottom are alot better now, people do do the speed limit which is a big releif, as when they frist started it was soooooo slow going!

On a side note, the M1 is really coming along now, i think it will be finished alot sooner then december, which will be great (before they start somewhere else lol!)

Stu

When I go through the road works on the M25 between Junction 3 and 1 the speed limit is 50mph enforced by average speed cameras.

When traffic conditions allow I go through them at 50mph on cruise control, but I have been overtaken on many times by other lorry drivers still doing 56mph.

Do these other drivers know or think that the average speed camera system will not pick them up ?

Has anybody actually been (or know anyone who has actually been) caught by an average speed camera?

What sort of tolerance is built into the system, IE +/- 10 %.

I got done on the M6 two years ago in Lancs, 3 pts and a fine
doing average of 55mph, momentary lapse of concentration in a Merc sprinter :frowning:

I think the reason ppl drive at 40 -45 is if they get a heavy foot and do 55mph, they then realise and sit it out at 45mph until the next camera, thus lowering the average speed :smiley:

I don’t mind the speed cameras, but at silly o clock in the morning they should be switched off, its not like the road guys are doing much through the night!

i agree the cameras have a use but if there is nobody working then they should be off,

bullitt:
Has anybody actually been (or know anyone who has actually been) caught by an average speed camera?

Was there a not an article on the News a couple of months back about them, they are only licenced for 1 lane, therefore if it clocks you in lane 1 when you enter the roadworks and you move over to Lane 2 it cannot clock you in lane 2

If I think rightly it said you had to stay in the same lane all the way through the roadworks for it to be effective.■■?

No doubt someone will know better :laughing:

Davey Driver:

bullitt:

Was there a not an article on the News a couple of months back about them, they are only licenced for 1 lane, therefore if it clocks you in lane 1 when you enter the roadworks and you move over to Lane 2 it cannot clock you in lane 2

If I think rightly it said you had to stay in the same lane all the way through the roadworks for it to be effective.■■?

No doubt someone will know better :laughing:

I believe they’ve change this and changing lanes will no longer be effective.

The French have the best idea of setting the roadworks speed at 90kmh thus not slowing the trucks just the numpty car drivers

Stu190,the M1 works,from start at J10 to halfway 9-8,should return to 70 mph tonight and all four lanes will be open.

bullitt:

Officially there is no tolerance, however it depends what force your in etc. the ones that were at junct 21 on the m62 when they were making the new exit to the ind est caught thousands over the time they were on. the put up on signs at the eginning of them how many drivers had been caught the pevious month, still people went past you like you were stood still.

Slightly off topic I find that on the M42 when the gantry sign says 60 people still do 50 or below and its not just lane 1 they also do it in the middle lane, gets very frustrating.

extrucker:
Stu190,the M1 works,from start at J10 to halfway 9-8,should return to 70 mph tonight and all four lanes will be open.

there’s now a large stretch near the end of the roadworks (northbound) where there’s 4 maybe 5 lanes open (can’t remember - been a long day) but it’s still 50mph even though it’s all finished along that stretch!!

Also, I’ve noticed the overhead signs lately, that say “40mph, queue ahead” or “pedestrians in road” or whatever, you slow to the speed (or should do) and eventually come to the “end” sign and you saw NOTHING!! lol

Think the slowcoaches are like I’ve joked about before, they’ve got this thing about traffic cones - they always go really slow through them, doesn’t matter where they are :laughing:

All in a day’s work I suppose.

I came down through Gretna today, through the roadworks signed at 50 and the pra… person in front of me was determined to admire the view and not exceed 40.
banned from outside lane so sat behind the pillo… person and controlled my temper, just!
where do they come from?
Is there a school turning them out somewhere?

I agree, its extremely annoying when they do 35 - 40 in Lane 1 in a 50 limit with an empty road infront, especially if you know you’re a bit tight on driving time to get to your next planned stop.

Then at the end of the section they dawdle along so you pull out into lane 2 & begin to overtake, only for them to wait until you’re 1/2 way past then out accelerate you. :imp:

del949:
I came down through Gretna today, through the roadworks signed at 50 and the pra… person in front of me was determined to admire the view and not exceed 40.
banned from outside lane so sat behind the pillo… person and controlled my temper, just!
where do they come from?
Is there a school turning them out somewhere?

I was heading south through the ■■■■■■■■■■ Gap last week, the Civic in front of me thought that 31 mph was acceptable. As you said, can’t overtake in the restricted L2, so sat behind them for about 4 miles. :unamused:

I genuinely believe that some car drivers are just scared of cones.

These pra…people do 40/50 in roadworks, but do 90+ when its national speed limit!! :imp:

Darkseeker,the limit is still 50 because there are still works on-going.It should have gone to 70 this week but i think it has been delayed by a week or two.
Signs have been placed because reports of pedestrians,congestion etc have been called in but the patrol can find no trace.Only when no trace is found,(does that make sense??),can the signs be cancelled

Andrew Leitch:
I was heading south through the ■■■■■■■■■■ Gap last week, the Civic in front of me thought that 31 mph was acceptable. As you said, can’t overtake in the restricted L2, so sat behind them for about 4 miles. :unamused:

I genuinely believe that some car drivers are just scared of cones.

What peeves me even more down there, we have to stick to the speed limit through the roadworks as we are not exempt from the limits. If I’m going to an incident, I’ll be doing 50ish with my headlights on, the car in front will continue to travel along at 40 mph in lane 2 when lane 1 is empty, I’m sure the pill…er person does it on purpose :unamused:

The Highway Man:
What peeves me even more down there, we have to stick to the speed limit through the roadworks as we are not exempt from the limits.

Quite right too, as (part of) the visible face of the Highways Agency, you should be showing a good example.

The Highway Man:
If I’m going to an incident, I’ll be doing 50ish with my headlights on, the car in front will continue to travel along at 40 mph in lane 2 when lane 1 is empty, I’m sure the pill…er person does it on purpose :unamused:

I personally would have expected you to have all your flashing orange lights going, like in your avatar. I realise that mis-use of orange lights reduces their effectiveness, but travelling to an incident would count as needing warning lights surely?

But as highways agency have no authority to break speed limits or drive differntly to anyone else there’s no need to use flashing lights while going to an incident. The only reason to need flashing lights would be to get people that are going slower than the speed limit to get out of the way, but that’s not what oranges are for, that’s blues, which aren’t for HATOs.

I still reckon somewhere in the job description it must say “your duties will include being allowed to drive a 4x4 with strobes and battenburg livery”, probably the only reason most of them apply, oh and “must have the ability to wrap a human in foil like a christmas turkey”.

No offence The Highway Man i’m sure you take pride in your job, just having a poke :wink: