Reyner's (Droylsden)

One of their 201’s in the Droylsden carnival.

This was one of 2 x V reg 6 wheelers they had, spotted exported to Malta in May 2010 awaiting a buyer.

Hi Tipit… What happened to this when they closed down

Hi John,
It was sold on to Leach’s and put in their livery.
>

GRvolvo.png

Seen here parked on the M62 Hartshead Moor Services in West Yorkshire.
Photograph courtesy of the Jim Taylor Collection

moomooland:

Seen here parked on the M62 Hartshead Moor Services in West Yorkshire.

This was the first of 5 FH’s they had before changing back to DAF XF’s, the regular driver of this one would put the drivers seat backrest right forward, then take the winder home with him to stop anyone using the unit for trailer collections when ever it was parked in the yard overnight, I only found out when the T/M told me his unit was the only one available to bring a trailer in one time.
Moomooland do you have a picture to show of the ERF European they had ?
They also bought a secondhand 6 wheeler rigid “Wendy cab” Volvo, the only one they ever had. It spent more time broken down than any other lorry in the yard, within a few months of getting it, it was badly damaged in a crash, fixed up again and then burnt out.

TIPIT:

Do you mean this one?

Seen here on the M62 Hartshead Moor service area picture courtesy of the late great Jim Taylor

That’s the one, it looks a fair bit rougher than I thought it would.
Thanks Paul.

Photograph courtesy of the Jim Taylor Collection

moomooland:
After the demise of fotopic the Geoffrey Reyner gallery is now no longer on line
Regards Paul

Hiya Paul you sure do have some bad luck with your photo sites.

moomooland:

TIPIT:

Do you mean this one?

Seen here on the M62 Hartshead Moor service area picture courtesy of the late great Jim Taylor

Kaye Goodfellow’s ERF nudging in the right of the picture I think?

David

Talking about nudging into shots, I noticed this one of Reyner’s (BROWN) Sed-Atki’s on one of Bubbleman’s shots.
I don’t think they used this livery for any special contract they had at the time, but can anyone tell me why it was used ?

I know they had a couple of V8 engined Dodge Hi - Line units painted (green) in the early 80’s, but that was because of the Dunlop contract they were used on.

jon reyner is organising a reunion
at the bush 6th of december

TIPIT:
One of their 201’s in the Droylsden carnival.

This was one of 2 x V reg 6 wheelers they had, spotted exported to Malta in May 2010 awaiting a buyer.

I think the DAF CF is the same one I saw parked in a garage premises in Malta last week. I took a photograph of it , so Ill put it on here when Ive uploaded the many that I hope to show on various threads.

Cheers , cattle wagon man.

Here`s the DAF CF.
Maybe it is the same one though, but someone on here might recognise the British reg.d. E.R.F.

Cheers , cattle wagon man.

Taken at Manchester Airport
Thanks to the Reyner family for the pic

Thanks to paul gee top photos

Wonder what stretch of water he’s been across?

They began in 1953 on part of the land that’s now Manchester University.
Then moved to the yard shown below at Royal Mill, Newton St, Droylsden around 1966.

Steve Howson one of their drivers who use to also also race these trucks for them long before I started there, someone once told me this Sed - Atki raced a Sierra Cosworth from a set of traffic lights and beat it!

A typical wagon of theres from the late 70’s.

One of my first wagons with them, I took it over from Brian? (Little Chef.)

And picking up the Night Trunk trailer at Holden & Brookes yard.

Before going on to this Leyland.

Then getting my first new wagon there, this Scania. Y915KCB.
The last wagon I had with them.
Steve Howson also used this unit on night trunks from the Palletline Hub.

They got these 5 x Scania units in April 2001 along with 8 x Scania rigids, these were the first of the new wagons in the fleet to be put in the new all white colours. All the Volvo FH’s and DAF’s that came before them were painted in the old red & gold colours.

Just to make sure the old Droylsden site was kept in everyones memories, I took these pictures around the yard in July 2001. All the empty Containers had been taken too store in Pendleton by then, and the wagons looked lost in all the parking areas left behind.

A line up of wagons facing the transport office window showing showing Stubbies “Globetrotter” and Paul Bentley’s old Volvo FH at the other end of the line. (Paul’s was the first FH they got.)

Parked up for the weekend in front of “Steve Gannie’s Warehouse”.

Showing the old warehouse and the place Jimmy Barlow used to paint the wagons when they first came.

Over by the railway, where the Containers use to stand.

Taken behind the warehouse.

Bob Grossett’s Scania unit, and some others parked up facing the old diesel tank near the gate.

Bob Grossett’s pride and joy, a model from the 1930’s that he use to take to shows. There was also a part restored Scammell Scarab unit in Reyner’s colours stored in a container somewhere in the yard that I never got a picture of.

The last ERF unit ever bought by Reyner’s, Mick Henry had this before getting his FH Globetrotter, then our Darren took it over. After the move to Oldham, the chassis was found to be cracked on this unit and it was scrapped.

My Scania and “Skid’s” old DAF waiting in Shiloh’s yard at Royton for trailers to come up. (this DAF was an ex Sewell Group - Leeds unit, in white, when it first came.) Soon after this photo Skid got his new, white - DAF XF.

These pictures were taken at Earl Mill, Dowry St, Oldham.
They trasfered to site in September 2001 when the Newton St, Droylsden yard was cleared for housing. Earl Mill was their last site before they sold out to Safe Logistics in December 2005.
Then in April 2007 everything finished.

Didn’t Geoffrey Reyner have an office on Trafford Road,opposite Salford dock entrance near Springfield Haulage’s office?

Or am I having a senior moment? :grimacing:

I remember them being in an early 80’s edition of TRUCK magazine in the ‘Truck in service’ series they ran. They had alot of Gardner powered 400’s and 401’s at the time, those were the days!! :slight_smile: