Reyner's (Droylsden)

They could well have done, I seem to remember Paul Bentley their longest serving driver telling me they also had an office somewhere near one of the London Docks back in the 60’s. Paul retired with them around 2004 after 40 years with them, that (Super Space cab DAF) above was his last wagon with them, it had a white leather interior. He said he had a 6 wheeler Trader when he 1st started. This picture below shows their 1st main office behind the BMC van, it was on Grosvenor St, Manchester just by Upper Brook St lights. They also had a seperate yard for the wagons on Bridgeford St back then, but only part of that street is still up near the Dental Hospital.

It’s funny you mention Springfield’s Haulage as when I left school in '71, I worked for “Circuit & Hinchcliffe’s” a small bodywork and paint garage for trucks in West Gorton. Springfield’s use to bring their blue Volvo F86 units in there for jobs to be done, I always wondered where they were based.
In 1974 I started my driving career with “Alec Sharples” as an 18 year old on a little T.K. flat, they were at their first yard on Worthington Street, Salford back then. Young Alec his son, had the other T.K. and taught me how to rope and sheet on Salford Docks. Back then they where also running 2 - 16 ton rigids a KM, and a Seddon. And 3 - artics, a D reg ERF LV, Leyland Beaver ergo, and a Guy Big J.
Just before I left Billy Hopwood who had the Guy took over their 1st non British wagon a chrome grilled Volvo 88, that they got 2nd hand as a Liverpool fruit market wagon, after that came their Scania 110’s.

That guy in the photo with the two trucks he was very good looking
that 80s ■■■■ tash was top. :wink:

thanks to bubble man here’s picture of my first brand new truck at Reyners

That sed atki was paul bentley’s aswell paul
i see the scania is the top photo on the north west site.

Thanks for that Steve, I was wondering if I’d ever find out who had the Sed Atki.
Stubby once told me Paul also had one of those old Scania’s aswell, so I wonder if this was his.
Here is another question you might know the answer to Steve … how did Skid get his name ?

its a long time ago he says its because he had a lot of timber
i think it was something to do with underwear :open_mouth:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Another from Bubbleman’s Scrapbook.
A good photo that shows when the Containers were stacked up in their Newton Street, Droylsden yard.
This was the only lorry they had fitted with sliding doors on the side of the body, but after 4 years of use they were changed to curtains.

After the demise of fotopic it looks like Pikfu is also dead in the water so i will just concentrate on my two dedicated web sites of W & J Riding and Edward Beck.
Links below

Regards Paul

After the demise of fotopic the Geoffrey Reyner gallery is now no longer on line
Regards Paul