Reversing without banksman = possible sacked

All the refuse collection vehicles have rear cameras (we don’t go out unless these work), reverse beepers (which we have been told NEVER to turn them off at any time). There has never to date (touch wood) been a serious reversing accident within our directorate. Each wagon is reversing at least a minimum of 100+ times everyday.
Only refuse collection vehicles have to adhere to this reversing ruling. If i was driving a roll on roll off, skip wagon, road sweeper, gully wagon or anything similar then i can reverse unaided till i’m blue in the face.
I can reverse unaided into a parking bay or anywhere else in the depot in these vehicles. If i am in a refuse collection vehicle and i reverse unaided in the depot or anywhere else then i’m facing a disciplinary.
It’s crazy :frowning:

" Come on drive…Come on drive…Come on drive…( waving hands ) Come on drive " BANG, CRASH, WALLOP…" Hold It drive… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Seriously…theres no harm in a banksman or anyone else watching you reverse…its just that the majority of drivers resent it…believing that they know best and can do it without any help…4 eyes are better than two, and as an added bonus…a friend of mine, many years ago, watched as a dust cart ran over his little boy, and killed him on the spot…he never got over that incident, and that was in the days before reversing bleepers ( which i believe should be a legal requirement on all vehicles ) talking reverse thingys whatever theyre called…" caution, this vehicle is reversing " etc…so a banksman is an asset in my opinion.
Years ago, a bus driver was not allowed to reverse on his own either, always had to have a banksman or as they were called…a conductor, and wonder if its still true today.

I’m a london bus driver and we are told, when out on a public highway to always have someone help us reverse.
In the garage, no supervision is required whilst reversing.

Davey Driver:
H&S is getting out of control there is no doubt about that

Slightly off topic (my apologies) but an example of how this H&S crap is getting out of control. Took the mrs into Salisbury hospital for surgery 2 days ago, carried her bag to the pre-op suite where she was in a private room. This is where all the consent forms are done, and the surgeon marks where the incisions are done for the surgery. Once this was done I was allowed back in the room, on her bag (holdall) there were 2 stickers, one said ‘HEAVY BAG’ and the other ‘NOT FOR MANUAL LIFT’. The staff have to put the bag on a trolley to move it :unamused: It’s not heavy by any means, I have a bad back (Oesteo Cervical Spondylosis) and I managed to carry the bag probably 400 metres and up 2 flights of stairs without a problem. This H&S is totally out of hand, its just jobs for overpaid pen pushers.

And as for a banksman behind a dustcart, what a load of cobblers. How many people are reversed over by dustcarts every year? 4 or 5? how many people end up dead in cars every year? 100’s. Will we be going back to the days when a man has to walk in front of every vehicle with a red flag? I jest not :unamused:

Tiger.

and sorry for going off topic.

A ‘banksman’ was run over on the m25 widening,was told by a Major contractor’s safety man,‘because the bloke was wearing earphones/using ipod,he wouldn’t have a leg to stand on!’,I thought that was quite funny,in a grim sort of way,he wouldn’t have a leg to stand on cos a great big dozer tracked all over him?

Only one way to consign crap like that to where it rightfully belongs is to get an urgent need for a banksman just when the rest of the crew are out of sight, preferably when it’s going to make Joe Public incandescent with rage :imp: :smiling_imp: , rage enough in fact, to make him or her ring the council and whinge mightily. Problem soon solved, common sense soon restored methinks?

papermonkey:
Only one way to consign crap like that to where it rightfully belongs is to get an urgent need for a banksman just when the rest of the crew are out of sight, preferably when it’s going to make Joe Public incandescent with rage :imp: :smiling_imp: , rage enough in fact, to make him or her ring the council and whinge mightily. Problem soon solved, common sense soon restored methinks?

If only… :open_mouth:

A driver asked about that situation and he was told by a senior manager to ask a member of the public to watch him back. :laughing:

I strongly believe that in the right situation banksmen are a god send, but in the wrong situation they are a hazard and can distract the driver into an avoidable accident.

It seems a crazy rule, especially when I have been on the end of a “back, back, back CRASH*, stop” :blush: :blush: . What was the reply when I pointed out I had been backed into the post “You’re the driver, its your responsibility.”

I do know of a company local to us who have to have a banksman reverse back their vans. We share a yard and we reverse back artics without a banksman. Crazy I know.

Rich

truckyboy:
Years ago, a bus driver was not allowed to reverse on his own either, always had to have a banksman or as they were called…a conductor, and wonder if its still true today.

I’ve been out of the psv game for a while, but we were told that it was illegal to reverse a psv vehicle with passengers on, then we were told it’s ok with a banksman, then all the new bus / coach stations went to ‘drive in - reverse out’ design like The Trafford Centre and Chorlton Street.

I think they just change things to suit themselves, probably because ‘it’s private land’ or some other clause.

I strongly believe that in the right situation banksmen are a god send, but in the wrong situation they are a hazard and can distract the driver into an avoidable accident.

It seems a crazy rule, especially when I have been on the end of a “back, back, back CRASH*, stop” :blush: :blush: . What was the reply when I pointed out I had been backed into the post “You’re the driver, its your responsibility.”

I watched a “TV programme” tonight, the subject was a well known sight on Britain’s roads and many of the drivers are plebs. However one particular guy driving a walking floor trailer had a tight reverse into a field.

It showed the farmer/banksman and where he was stood, he was on the nearside at the rear, while the cab was bent round to the right, his hand signals looked like he was rolling a bogie and may as well have stayed in bed that day

I think saying the word Banksman, is a sackable offence :blush:

Wheel Nut:

I watched a “TV programme” tonight, the subject was a well known sight on Britain’s roads and many of the drivers are plebs. However one particular guy driving a walking floor trailer had a tight reverse into a field.

It showed the farmer/banksman and where he was stood, he was on the nearside at the rear, while the cab was bent round to the right, his hand signals looked like he was rolling a bogie and may as well have stayed in bed that day

Not to mention getting a sweat on and getting breathless turning the wheel :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Just shows how unfit drivers are getting nowwa days :open_mouth:

jonnytruckfest:

Wheel Nut:

Not to mention getting a sweat on and getting breathless turning the wheel :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Just shows how unfit drivers are getting nowwa days :open_mouth:

LOL that’s rich coming from you! :open_mouth: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

RobK:

jonnytruckfest:

Wheel Nut:

LOL that’s rich coming from you! :open_mouth: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I know it is :grimacing: I maybe fat but I’m not unfit. I’m quicker then most of the skinny pillocks round here.
:wink: :wink: :wink: anyways! Read my health thread, the shock may be with you :grimacing: :grimacing: I believe I’ve done well the past few weeks anyway :wink:

“ROSPA Approved Banksman Trainer” - Dear bloody God, what next■■?

I have watched, thankfully from afar the UK rapidly descend into a totally risk averse society, but this takes the biscuit.

Yeah, I had that on the buses. They didn’t have reversing cameras either. But the only passengers able to assist with banksmen were usually incompetent at doing it as one driver found out.

The two methods you have available to you are to edge forward and let them get past or just sit and wait. Better in the long run. Not all roads are cul-de-sac’s.

One company I am working for at the moment has reversing cameras on all their rigids and it makes it really helpful when reversing into tight spaces!

The drawback of ‘fighting your corner’ is that you will be seen as a troublesome driver and a liability. However, likewise getting the paperwork is a good idea and perhaps even discussing it with the numpties that made it the rules. I do think it comes down to that accident that happened recently but in that case the reversing camera didn’t work either. If you have a reversing camera (working) you shouldn’t need a banksman right?