Banksman reversing

Just had my mate ring me. He’s working as a banksman on a site atm. He was backing an artic down a road onto the site to tip today (restricted access) a copper stopped him and said “you cant back him that far, its excessive reversing”

Anyone heard of or come across this before?

Cheers Ads

it depends, was there any other way in without as much reversing?

We covered this on my banks mans course. If your on the highway and there’s no closure or signage stating roadworks or similar then you can reverse two and a half vehicle lengths unguided. But with a qualified bandsman there is no limit beyond common sense

I would have thought that the driver will blow his own trumpet if he reversed all that way one hit,with a qualified BANDSMAN watching him back :blush:

Isn’t there a section in the Highway Code that says not to reverse more than is necessary or something similar. Could the driver have turned around once into the site? If not then what other option would the copper suggest?

Tell the Rozzer to ■■■■ off before you report him for excessive numptyness :grimacing:

It would only be excessive if there was a viable alternative.I drive mainly in the country and have reversed several hundred yards after meeting big massive thunder blah blah.

Will:
I would have thought that the driver will blow his own trumpet if he reversed all that way one hit,with a qualified BANDSMAN watching him back :blush:

Still getting used to the iPhone and tapatalk. My bad

Will:

I see what you did there :smiley:

Bull droppings. If the only access is in reverse, there is no such thing as excessive reversing…

Well if I have the option of going in front first and turning around on site I’d not be playing silly buggers trying to reverse in with a banksman! So I’d say its safe to say it was the simplest way- and if your backs being watched then what’s the issue?

I have heard of it before, but seriously that copper needs to get a grip.

A lot of building sites you’re expected to do umpteen reverse and shunting manoeuvres. This is mostly due to poor planning where the only consideration is cramming as many in a small space as possible. Sites are made worse now with what road space there is, now reduced by fenced off walkways, bucket changing areas, phone zones, sweeper emptying area, tree protection zones and of course a numpty tradesman or two that think “no parking on site” rules don’t apply to them. Not forgetting the telehandler driver who just has to lift a pallet of blocks right behind you when he sees you moving.

The banksman at B&Q Worksop watched 2 consecutive container lorries onto the bays. Both lorries ripped off their mudguards on the bananas…go figure!

He said he had to watch me back also so I told him to do just that, watch! and keep his mouth and arms still. What a surprise, she went straight on.

Truckbling:
The banksman at B&Q Worksop watched 2 consecutive container lorries onto the bays. Both lorries ripped off their mudguards on the bananas…go figure!

He said he had to watch me back also so I told him to do just that, watch! and keep his mouth and arms still. What a surprise, she went straight on.

If that was the case, then the banksman and B&Q are liable for the damage to the trailers, and the trailer owners should make a claim for the damage

shuttlespanker:
If that was the case, then the banksman and B&Q are liable for the damage to the trailers, and the trailer owners should make a claim for the damage

The owner didn’t claim!

Truckbling:

shuttlespanker:

The owner didn’t claim!

Why not?

The banksman is liable for any damage done to any property or person

If you ignore the banksman, you will be banned from site, you follow the banksman’s instruction to avoid any damage, so, if damage occurs, he is liable

shuttlespanker:
Why not?

Ask Trubster !

Any time those poxy wheel lock things damaged one of my trailers I used to get it noted in the site safety book, then send an invoice for the repair or instruct my driver to get it fixed at the on site workshop or VMU (whatever they call it)

[zb]ing things are a joke, I had my one and only GV9 because of one of those locking bars ripping off a mudflap and half the mudguard.

I don’t remember ever having to go to any trouble getting reimbursed, as long as it goes in the book and you get the name of the shift supervisor etc.

One Stop store in Todmorden, poxy little thing.

Streetview: maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Bridge … 48,0,1.36

The loading bay is down the narrow one way street on the right, clearly you can’t get a wagon around that corner so the drivers reverse all the way up the street from the other end. Could a copper do you for this then? I’ve seen mini artics and 26 tonners going in.