Reversing ... Doh!

After passing my test at Xmas I was desperate to get Class 1 work.
Managed to get a job, but they were far from reputable. So after 3 weeks I left and got a night job trunking. I absolutely love it.

Iv’e driven a rigid for many years, but most people after passing a Class 1 are a little concerned about reversing.
After a few weeks in this job, driving Scanias, Volvo’s etc things are getting a little easier every night.

Night before last, I pulled into a depot, big U turn. Stuck it in reverse, kept my eye on the yellow bay lines. Straight back all in one sweep, perfect. I was chuffed to bits.

Then I realised I had a bay door either side of me :unamused: I’d reversed into the gap between the bays.

2 other drivers couldn’t speak for laughing so hard. At least one of them admitted to doing it himself. (its just that he had no witnesses).

Tonight I might try and do it again. This time actually onto a bay!

Doh!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hey DrDeo… Live and learn eh mate??.. live and learn…
But you’ve just given me a right good chuckle to myself… LOL

Woops!! well I never done that but I used to have terrible problems getting the trailer striaght when reversing onto loading bays.
but, If you can’t laugh at your mistakes don’t become a truck driver :laughing:

I saw a guy at work do that, Drove past, nice position, slotted it into reverse and popped it straight between the bays on his blind side.

If he hadnt stopped to open his doors he would have demolished the steps.

Lucky Man. :slight_smile:

if you cant laugh at yourself dont become a truck driver let alone your mistakes :sunglasses:
i have done similar, just couldnt reverse on to bay for love nor money, tight yard with forkies and sprinters flying around all over the place.
didnt help i had the lad who was supposed to be driving the wagon with me, he had failed his test on the reverse :blush: :blush:
got it on eventually with much swearing and many many shunts
happens to us all
chris

Never done that, but I once got shouted at whilst doing agency work for putting the truck I was given onto the bay I was told to. Seems that I was supose to see a broken spotlight in the dark. I did’nt so it’s now flush fitting.
The Insurance claim form idea was dropped after I said exactly what I was going to put in it.

yeo hands up done it myself :blush: :blush:

give me a huge yard and i struggle to get it on a bay ,give a right tight yard not a problem.

as for backing the car in a spot in sainsburys car park you look a right plonker when you turn the other way :blush:

jon

Can’t reverse the car for toffee unless I have my caravan or horse box on it.

Strange bit is I only drive 7.5 tonnes :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Yep done it and still doing it on a regular basis you do a few shifts for lynx where there isn’t enough room to wind the legs down, then drop onto containers and get sent into a depot with enough room to reverse a plane and I can end up anywhere! :open_mouth:

Glad its not only me who gets lost reversing in a big emtpy yard. :slight_smile: The problem is you have no point of reference. The same used to happen when trying to get a truck in the right place in the paddock of a motor racing circuit. It has to be exactly right and striaght as the teams are packed in during a race meeting and one truck out of line will throw the whole lot out and once the awnings up you can’t correct it. :confused:

I took an 18ton rigid to France and dropped in to lynx on agency artic work when I got back, I didn’t miss a kerb all the way to Chelmsford. :blush:

jonboy:
yeo hands up done it myself :blush: :blush:

give me a huge yard and i struggle to get it on a bay ,give a right tight yard not a problem.

as for backing the car in a spot in sainsburys car park you look a right plonker when you turn the other way :blush:

jon

perhaps we should have our own version of the baby on board signs made up, truck driver on board!! :laughing: :laughing:
chris

DrDeo:
Then I realised I had a bay door either side of me :unamused: I’d reversed into the gap between the bays.

2 other drivers couldn’t speak for laughing so hard.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Did that no so long ago at Phil Hanleys Bellow Park (Belle Eau Park :unamused: ). Can’t remember exact details but I thought I’d spied an empty bay up the far end and as my instructions were to get on the first empty bay, off I goes. Swung it round, window down, head out t’window, reversing back; just starts to curve it onto the bay looking for the yellow lines but couldn’t find any, the shunter comes racing over in his shunting mobile and says, "where ya going bud :question: :exclamation: You won’t find a bay there :confused: " :laughing:

Got out and went and had a look and he was right :laughing: :confused:

perhaps we should have our own version of the baby on board signs made up, truck driver on board!!

Suggested this to my bloke (another trucker) today, on Tesco’s car park. Then, as he invited me to walk home, had to do some serious creeping !!! :unamused: :unamused: