Newby meee blindside reversing

This is the job I have been covering for the night trunker… run up Ibrox in scotland. Just over 4hrs driving there and then a bit of manouvring in some small spaces then a long drive back. I took some piccies with my phone and thought I’d show you my newby blindside reverse that I have had to do. Hope the photos display ok cos never used photobucket before :slight_smile: Scanny thanks for the info.

Nice pics Big Nige, Taking piccies is a good excuse to get out of the cab and have a look :laughing:
Only kidding nice bit of reversing, especially with the other trucks parked so close.

no probs mate. glad you are enjoying it :smiley:

Nice bit of reversing, that. :wink:

Not made any easier, I’m sure, by having that floodlight right next to the bay blinding you. :unamused:

I hate those damned things when they’re positioned like that!

:smiley: I must admit I do feel proud doing it. When I first got told I would be doing it they said the blindside reverse is a nightmare to do so I was dreading it. I dont mind it one little bit and everynight I have been there has been a different challenge :smiley:

They sometimes leave cars on the left side of your blind reverse etc and upto now I have managed it ok. You should have seen me when I first tried this…my positioning was wrong… it took me loads and loads of shunts and I must have got in and out of the cab 20 times. It takes me about 2 to 3 shunts now and I get out of the cab once or twice :smiley:

I suppose by posting these pics its like seeking your approval really so thanks for the positive comments :smiley:

nige i notice from the pics it looks like business moves warehouse in ibrox i go in there to collect packing crates and have the same problem in the daylight so top marks for doing it in the dark :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Nice, i’ve been getting into the habit of spinning the truck round so I can reverse off my right side as and when possible. When I’m confident doing that I might try practicing blindside even when I don’t need to so I can do it without stressing out. Might post some pics of the reverse I stuff up on a regular basis just so everyone can have a laugh and call me crap :laughing:

weewulliewinkie it is mate…right next to the football club just near he roundabout :slight_smile: Thanks

I have a magnetic block that I just lower out of the cab window and the gates automatically open for me. Bit spooky in there at night on your own…you hear allsorts of strange noises. I have about 1.5 hours sleep then set off back. I have been pulling in at the services after about 2.45 mins driving and getting another hrs sleep lol. I have just been getting used to the long journey :smiley:

My day run is only to gloucestershire so not has tiring plus nights is harder anyway when your not quite into a routine.

Kiowan :slight_smile: Ive been told by some of the drivers in the yard even the most experienced driver still stuffs it up from time to time mate. I just relax now and take my time… I have stopped oversteering now when reversing :smiley:

Well done Big Nige, that looks a great bit of reversing mate.

I have just finished my first week in my first ‘proper’ Class 2 job, and reversing that has been an education at times. I have had to get out and check on more than one occasion, much to the amusement of some of the older hands.

Well done mate & glad it’s going well for you.

Thanks Keano1 mate. Hows things for you? What job are you working on? Are you enjoying yourself?

Big Nige,
I got a job only 4 weeks after passing my Class 2, by being in the ‘right place at the right time’.
The firm is a local haulage company with about 12 Artics & 3 Rigids. I drive a Scania flatbed, and have had a bit of variety in my first week doing local runs delivering steel, roof trusses and had a visit to a prison to deliver some steel roof beams. Had a 6 hour turn around there due to the high security. Wagon had to be searched everytime I moved it & was a right drag.

To-morrow have a night out job to Hampshire (Basingstoke I think) delivering window frames & doors to a building site.
Have had a very steep learning curve, but I’m enjoying it now I’m getting used to the hours & the securing of the loads.

Take it easy.

keano1:
To-morrow have a night out job to Hampshire (Basingstoke I think) delivering window frames & doors to a building site.

Whereabouts in Basingstoke you delivering to (I live in Basingstoke btw) :question:

Bad enough having to go to Hunsville without adding tricky reverses on top, have you upset someone? :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

Hi Coffeeholic :smiley: The bottom pick was a tight squeeze… when I was reversing through it there was about 3 inches gap either side of me :smiley: Then I had to start getting the trailer to swing round…very awkward but I loved the challenge. The good thing is there’s no one there at night so you dont have anyone watching (maybe security on cctv). Got this week left to do then back on my own Gloucestershire run next week.

As for naffing someone off… :smiley: me? Never everybody loves Big Nige :smiley:

:open_mouth: Big Nige is that Tony you are covering for or someone else now ?

Is Pete still doing the day side of that run ■■

I used to do that one many moons ago when it went to Bellshill and Motherwell and we had ERFs on it :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hi Montana man :smiley: I’m covering for Phil…He’s been doing the job for around 3 - 4 yrs now. Pete Pritchard did used to do the day run but I do it now mate. Pete is now an instructor…he trained me on my C and C+E. He’s a top bloke.

Whats your name mate I’ll pass a message onto him if you like.

I was supposed to be doing the run tonight but I got an early finish as there wasn’t anything to take up til tomorrow night. Where are you working now mate? I’ll let Pete know. Get back to me. Nige

Big Nige:
I just relax now and take my time… I have stopped oversteering now when reversing :smiley:

When I first started doing ‘real world’ reverses my problem was oversteering too, would always leave it too late to bring the cab back round inline with the trailer and end up coming round further than I needed. And when I was doing this with very limited room to shunt i’d get myself worked up a bit and usually end up making it worse.

Have mostly sorted that now and don’t get all flustered when it comes to the reversing bit as it’s not that often I need more than one shunt now and that’s usually just to make sure it’s perfectly straight or to change the angle slightly if i’ve gotta jacknife it into a slot with trucks fairly close either side. I was convinced it’d take me months of practice to get any confidence reversing but it comes suprisingly quickly, having said that, I bet I stuff something up tomorrow :laughing:

if the mirrors are leccy turn them out as you go back . it lestens the blind spot

Hi Kiowan :slight_smile:

Its funny how quickly you pick things up without realising it once you pass your test.

Hey Hitch

I do use my electric mirrors…I move them as I do my reverse (still have to bend forward to look in the mirror as its that tight :slight_smile: I wouldnt have it any other way though :smiley:

Montana man

Pete has been instructing now for almost 5 years… A lad called Jay had it before me…he’s now on the Volkswaagen contract on nights.

I was talking to a couple of the night guys on the mercedes contract last night and they are leaving. Supposed to be good money too (salaried though) Ones going on Friday and the other a week or two after.

Catcha soon Nige :wink:

:smiley: Pete is a fantastic bloke indeed Nige :smiley:

I used to do that run on the day or night for holiday relief for Pete and the then night driver Tony (any ideas where he is?).
I also did it from nov to feb when they ran 2 trunks together
In fact it was Pete who taught me to “master” the twin splitter in the ERFs we had :smiley:
I did it on and off in between other things, the last time being about 6 years ago IIRC when we had the Iveco Cursors :unamused: :cry:
In fact on one run Tony and I got snowed in for 24 hours :open_mouth: at the second services on the 74 (Texaco one).We got payed straight through and all meals paid :smiley:
We used to be based in the old Stobart depot on Woolston Grange.In fact I still have the key somewhere :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
The night run used to be : Warrington - (15 mins and a coffee at Southwaite) into Bellshill to tip the machines for Ireland and fuel up - then drop and swap in Airdrie at Excels yard - back to Bells for returns - Hours kip followed by coffee and a stretch and back via coffee at Tebay . Absolutley the best people and UK job I have ever done :smiley:
Tell Pete that ,Ian with the ponytail, says hello would ya :smiley:
Do you know where Tony went ?