Reversing

I am into my 2nd week as a newbie and do have to say that not done any damage to properties or people lol,but the thought of doing a reverse into a bay or to park scares the crap out of me,I do get in after few shunts on my drops but by now i would have thought had it nailed regarding set up but not done 1 correct set up yet which is leaving me loads to do to get in bays,I have scoured the Internet and you tube for diagrams and videos showing me,I know you have to come close to edge of bay then pull away to set up but my back end is never in position to back in easily which in result is reason why having to shunt,HELP :smiley: :smiley:

What are you driving Craig?

Would have helped lol,Volvo fh cat c+e,tri axle trailer

Been in your shoes today mate. Best advice I ever got was-eye up what you need to do when you approach,and then if you are a little unsure…handbrake on,and get out and have a look.

No extra medals on your coffin for being the best at reversing. From my experience today,i found that getting the trailer and unit as straight as possible helped immeasurably.

your still a baby.
theres no panic some people been driving longer than you been born and still cant get it nailed down.

Chill out and take your time whats the rush

Top advice from Nick as usual!!

Feel like screaming and saying how the F has the trailer ended up there lol,yeah think I need to approach it as a newbie which I am instead of getting frustrated and mad coz not nailing straight away,all got to start somewhere I guess,hate the feeling that others experienced drivers sniggering and saying WTF is he doin lol

eagerbeaver:
Top advice from Nick as usual!!

I’ve sat and watched drivers F U that many times. I then ask if they need a hand be it park it or assist with directions.
my other words are don’t be pushed into rushing

No decent artic driver would ridicule you for inexperience. Where do you think they got theirs?

This is possibly the most common source of hassle for newbies. I passed my class 1 over 40 years ago and qualified as an instructor within a month (wont get involved in the rights and wrongs of that - that’s just how it was back “in the day”). I also couldn’t reverse. Up to the time of my test I hadn’t completed the exercise and nearly through a sickie. But I fluked it so passed.

The unhappy fact is that I was reversing trucks every day for 2 years before I could say that a trailer would almost certainly end up where I wanted it to be. Most experienced drivers (and I think I qualify) will admit to having “off days”. In fact, I managed to reverse a trailer into a bulk diesel tank in full view of a trainee a year or two ago. (Ask dar1976!).

Reversing is an art. The absolute fundamentals are taught in order to complete the reversing exercise. After that, because circumstances vary so much, it’s down to practice, practice, practice. Don’t let it get you down - we’ve all been there. Get out and look before you clobber the diesel tank!

Just take your time and relax.

As an afterthought, anyone going from w+d to artic should be aware of the importance of starting off straight. Then set a little bit of steering and give it time to work. It all works much more slowly than w+d.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I passed in a w+d and wished taken lessons in Arctic instead now,even considered paying for some lessons in reversing in one,thanks for comments people and guess I should see it as a positive that not hit anything lol

You will find the transfer a little more challenging but far from impossible. As I said earlier, make sure you’re straight before you start. As the trailer reacts more slowly than w+d, you will find that you may not be able to straighten up in reverse in time to complete the job. Give yourself enough room to work - then give yourself loads more. Doesn’t matter. The further you go backwards the more acclimatised you will become. The principles of which way to turn the wheel are the same - just a matter of degree. But it’s still a small turn to get the trailer bending (remember it will be slower than you expect - so be patient) and bigger turn to get the unit back in front of the trailer.

If you can find a huge area (maybe a truckstop when it’s quiet) you may be able to start at one end and reverse to the other. Try to keep it in a straight line. Then do it again but deliberately making it bend gently from side to side. This will give you the feel of how it will react.

As a rule of thumb, if you’ve got more than a 30 degree bend between unit and trailer, it’s probably bent too hard. There are exceptions of course but give it a go.

Take your time. Approach the space/bay/whatever from as far away as possible and try to get the unit and trailer as straight as you can on the final approach.

Hope this makes sense, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Im gonna say it … you lot done hate me for it… before I did my training in 2008 I was messing about with Euro truck simulator to while away the evenings and I actually found the reverse exercise fairly straight forward, the guy that trained me down in Lee on Solent thought I worked as a shunter driver due to the fact every time we came back I reverse it between two other units without issue…
Even though Im out the game for the moment, still have a doss about with Euro simulator 2 few times a week for fun

My advice is patience, don’t rush anything if in doubt pull it out…

Have seen that Euro truck simulator 2 on you tube and looks great lol,my pc won’t run it though as no graphics card and whole thing probably needs renewing or upgrading

We’ve all been there, and we’re all still alive so don’t panic…as has been said already, it takes time to master.

I am still a long way from mastering, but I’m also a long way from where I was a few months back. Here is a post I did back then explaining what I had learned about positioning for reversing onto bays: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=117766#p1822239

It still works for me to this day, although I now have a more instinctive feel for how long the trailer is and how far I have to take the lorry to get the back end approximately where I need it to be to start the reverse. If I come up short I simply pull forward a bit more and I have to put a sharper turn on when I start the reverse to compensate. I leave enough room in front to get the cab round, but trying to make use of all the room available to make it as easy as possible.

It’s so hard explaining in words, you really just have to keep doing it and wait for the instincts to click into place. It will come…

Yesterday I had a really tight little yard to get into which involved a three point turn up a side street to get me facing the right way for a visible reverse, then a right angle back into the yard gate, then swing round for a blind side between two vans to park and drop the trailer there. In fact, as I think about it what I did was virtually a mirror image of the test ‘S’ reverse! So there was some point to it after all. :smiley: