Retest on monday - any tips?

Unlucky mate good luck for next time

Sounds to me like your driving and reversing are up to scratch, just need that little bit of luck on teat day. Chin up fella, enjoy xma forget about class one and nail it next time :slight_smile:

Well there is no complaints with the examiner from me. I think she was incredibly fair both times. And she was a very nice person.

Both times I would have passed but for ridiculous things. But you can’t have people knocking their mirrors into lamp posts (or peoples heads) or randomly stopping at lights when they are green. If everyone did that; loads of people would have brain damage, and the roads would be carnage.

The test isn’t that difficult. It’s just a test of basic driving skill on the road. I didn’t show I was good enough so didn’t pass. Anyway I’m planning on enjoying xmas now and having my third go in the new year.

a little harsh. Another examiner would of probably let it slip.

I’ve never known anyone pass who has stopped on a green light. Unfortunately, this is a classic case of nerves and nothing else. It’s certainly not the first time I’ve had folks fail on this yet everyone knows that a green light means GO if it’s safe to do so.

I cant see you need to reconsider your career as a truck driver; you almost achieved a clean sheet today.

As said, enjoy Christmas and come at your next test in a positive frame of mind.

All the very best with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Good luck for next time. Nerves are a ■■■■■ to be sure. And I think a pinch of good luck is needed too.

Have a good Christmas.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

It could definatly be classed as a fail but a different examiner could of been lenient. Might of noted your actions didn’t put anyone in danger and just slightly delayed people behind and would of put it down to nerves and give a mark for undue hesitation.

adam277:
It could definatly be classed as a fail but a different examiner could of been lenient. Might of noted your actions didn’t put anyone in danger and just slightly delayed people behind and would of put it down to nerves and give a mark for undue hesitation.

I was going to leave this thread until my retest and just focus on my family and friend over xmas. However I realize what I wrote might have caused people to think I was treated unfairly. I wasn’t. I’m not going to name the examiner on here - but I had her for both tests. And I think she is one of the fairest and nicest people you could hope to take a test with. There were two people in the truck, and we both agreed with the result. Her marking of me was a lot nicer than my own would be.

On a more festive note - for anyone considering PSTT I want to add something. Firstly the examiner commented on how great PSTT was - and how “even if it’s a bit more money she’d definately tell people and my friends to go there”, and also how she actually enjoys coming to Pete’s place because of how professional it is, and the quality of his candidates and vehicles. If people think I’m being a fanboy then look at my previous posts. I just say what I think and tell the truth. After the fail another Pete (who I believe is PS son in law) not only booked me in for a retest for two weeks - he also gave me 10% off for being on here. And said I could come in early for 40 mins reversing practice, with either him or Kenny. No mention of a price was given and he wrote it on the receipt. I fully expected to pay for this. It’s a top notch outfit - and they are great at what they do. And if you are looking for truck training you’d be a fool to ignore this business.

On a more festive note - for anyone considering PSTT I want to add something. Firstly the examiner commented on how great PSTT was - and how “even if it’s a bit more money she’d definately tell people and my friends to go there”, and also how she actually enjoys coming to Pete’s place because of how professional it is, and the quality of his candidates and vehicles. If people think I’m being a fanboy then look at my previous posts. I just say what I think and tell the truth. After the fail another Pete (who I believe is PS son in law) not only booked me in for a retest for two weeks - he also gave me 10% off for being on here. And said I could come in early for 40 mins reversing practice, with either him or Kenny. No mention of a price was given and he wrote it on the receipt. I fully expected to pay for this. It’s a top notch outfit - and they are great at what they do. And if you are looking for truck training you’d be a fool to ignore this business

Thanks for those comments. We do work really hard to provide the best experience possible for our candidates. The whole team is committed to this and it’s what we do. As for the FOC reversing; the attitude is that we make a profit (not a dirty word) from the course and we’re really not interested in increasing our income on retests. And that is why the pricing structure is as it is. Extra training before a retest is generally charged with a 50% discount but, as seen here, is also sometimes deliberately forgotten.

BTW, the “other” Pete is my son-in-law and also became MD in 2012 when I semi-retired. So he is clearly continuing the same practice.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I have specially logged on to see how you got on Sammy, Unlucky mate Keep trying once you got your class 1 trust me you will earn your money back in no time. Focus and positive pal Goodluck for 2nd of January.

IronEddie:

adam277:
Just shows how the poor the current test is that the candidate has to memorize how many turns of the steering wheel to use.

Imo it should be a non-blindside bay reverse. To something like this

Maybe block their forward distance enough to force them to have to push the trailer into position with the cab at an angle first. Give them as many shunts as they want within reason as long as they get it on without damaging anything. Also examiner chooses where to put the ‘bay’ and truck so it discourages memorizing wheel turns.
Similar to this best pic I could find.

I know this is off topic but the most effective answers to your answers are given in person through tuition.
Seriously if they had a bay reverse in the test instead of this joke of memorizing steering wheel turns then I doubt I would see nearly as many numpties failing to get on bays and it would be a reverse that actually helps you after you pass your test.

I agree the test reverse doesn’t bare much resemblance to the real world. But I’m not sure any test could prepare a new driver for every reversing situation. Maybe this is just something newbies like me have to learn on the job.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I agree, you can’t be prepared for everything, you learn basics and then you get experience. About turns, even if you forget, just watch lines and cons in your mirrors and adjust as needed, same as car. I’ve just passed recently so not an expert, just my experience.

Sorry to hear about your test Samm.

Don’t give up! You’ve already put so much into it, it would be a huge waste to stop now. Keep going till you pass! I didn’t pass first time and for a moment I was considering my options but then it happened, I nailed it. You will too!

Take some Kalms for the nerves, try and eat something before and think of the examiner as a big sat nav with hair… :wink: They are not there to fail you, they want you to pass.

Have a great Christmas and come back refreshed and ready.

I dont think it helps that they use cones as well. I’ve yet to do a delivery/trunk in artic or drag that has required me to reverse through a set of cones. I know the principle is the same but it just feels so different actually reversing onto a real bay.

I know I’m going off-topic again but we all know your gonna nail it next time.

adam277:
I dont think it helps that they use cones as well. I’ve yet to do a delivery/trunk in artic or drag that has required me to reverse through a set of cones. I know the principle is the same but it just feels so different actually reversing onto a real bay.

I know I’m going off-topic again but we all know your gonna nail it next time.

No cones in a game of football but footballers still dribble round them to learn/practise

Hi Sam

Assuming that you take up a good position before you begin the steering, I would dry steer full lock to the left, then begin the reverse. As you approach the yellow line, keep checking your offside wide angle mirror so that you can judge when to let the lock off and then trace the yellow line with the wheel hub where possible.

I have failed my Cat C test 3 times now. I am fine with the reversing exercise and driving the truck generally, I just keep making errors regarding highway code rules. I had a serious for signals on first test, a serious for road markings on my second and a dangerous for moving off and a serious for road signs on my third.

I am trying to look at it from a factual perspective, in that I have not been able to demonstrate the required standard of driving yet. Some people need a few goes before they get it right.

Keep going and sooner or later you’ll pass.

I plan a retest in the New Year. Don’t be too hard on yourself and best of luck with it all.

Thanks G1NGE. Pete’s place are going to give me some reversing practise before my next test - I am confident they will knock the cobwebs out of me and that won’t be a problem. When I was training I was doing it in one easily. However it was a month between my tests - and life made me forget what I was doing. Although I still did it (just) on the last test - I know i’ll go into the next one with the reverse as a formality rather than a challenge.

I will take your advice with herbal tabs. The cost of retests is annoying - but I will feel very proud when I pass this test. HGV licenses are not just given out - and when we both pass we will know we earnt it. I have to say my fails have been very fair and I have no complaints. I am feeling very positive for my next test. Keep us updated on your progress - we will become truck drivers! Oh and I’m doing it the easy way - with an auto, you are a better man than me with the manual splitter box!

sammym:
Failed again. Can’t blame anyone other than myself.

The reverse I did find hard. I ended up forgetting my markers and in the end I took a shunt and got it in using normal driving skills. That was fine. I ended up getting in minor both for the shunt and the observation. So 2 minors before I left the yard. It was not looking good for me.

And then I went and drove with zero minors! I actually started to enjoy the test. We were chatting away. I didn’t think I was driving well. But the size of the thing didn’t worry me. I was just going a long.

And then for reasons only the gods will know - I was going towards a green light and thought it was red. So decided to slow down and nearly stop. The examiner had to tell me. So I got one major for that.

So only one thing which has nothing to do with a truck stopped me passing. I have booked another test for the 2nd January. So hopefully third time lucky.

I will say that I’m going in the right direction - went from 6 minors and a dangerous. To 2 minors and a serious. Oh and I’ve asked for half an hour reversing practise before the next test - if I fail again I’ll reevaluate if I’m cut out for this.

EDIT - in fairness to me. I just got nervous and made a silly mistake. The examiner did say to me “I can’t believe I have to tell you this but you havn’t passed, apart from that one thing you had a perfect drive”. So I booked the soonest spot in. I’m sure a few on here will rip me for something so silly. But I’m genuinely a bit gutted. Before the test I didn’t expect to pass - but to know I came so close is gutting.

Don’t be silly, from what you’ve sad, you’re absolutely ready, it’s just formality to pass , take as many tries as needed, don’t stop! It doesn’t matter how many times you try, what matters is result, focus on this!

Third time lucky.

Passed with three minors.

Nearly failed as saw weight limit last minute - but I didn’t so I don’t care :slight_smile:

Nice one, well done! :smiley:

Congratulations and all the best for the future!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Great result, well done!