Remploy Ltd Borough Mill Neild Street Oldham

One of remploy excel curtainsider box by cross hands ,wm north had the remploy contract he had the ford cargos and leylands

image.jpeg

Johnny had this brand new e360tth ,Jones never changed the livery on his trucks :smiley: :smiley:

image.jpeg

johnfp:
Wasn’t there a factory/depot on the industrial estate at Newton Aycliffe or am I mistaken? I seem to remember it was next door to a company called Block and Anderson.

There was a factory at nearby Spennymoor but don’t recall one at Newton Aycliffe.

smallcoal:
Johnny had this brand new e360tth ,Jones never changed the livery on his trucks :smiley: :smiley:

Remember Jones coming up to Oldham with loads of new furniture from Remploy factories IN South Wales then loading back mulit-drop furniture for South Wales.

All the Jones drives used to park up overnight on the lorry park in Oldham next to Granelli’s cafe.

34.jpgAfter that ghastly red and orange livery one of the new DAF 2100 prime movers in the fleet Reg No G877 UNB is seen here in 1991 as the new livery for the 1990’s is applied to one of the new white demountable boxes.

36.jpg
Baring its new livery for the 1990s is DAF 2100 prime mover G877 UNB seen here parked outside Remploy’s South Wales Bridgend factory.
The new livery was not only applied to their vehicles but also used on re-branding the company’s factory signs, offices and stationary.
Photographs courtesy of driver Jimmy Wilson.

moomooland:

smallcoal:

Remember Jones coming up to Oldham with loads of new furniture from Remploy factories IN South Wales then loading back mulit-drop furniture for South Wales.

All the Jones drives used to park up overnight on the lorry park in Oldham next to Granelli’s cafe.

All came from neath,Swansea ,Merthyr ,brynamman,the Rhondda valleys ,I always found the remploy workers never moaned just got on with it

38-001.jpgA new addition to the fleet in 1977 was VLF 886S a Ford ‘D’ Series seven and a half tonner.
I drove it from new until i passed my Class 1 then Stuart Lord drove it from 1978 and it was used mainly for supplying raw materials to Remploy’s Bolton, Salford, Wallasey and Wigan factory’s for the production of industrial work wear etc

Seen here at Remploy’s Springburn factory in Glasgow in 1978 is Ford ‘D’ Series prime mover VLF 867S and draw-bar trailer driven by yours truly.
This was one of five draw-bar trailer outfits, all with demountable boxes, that were introduced into the fleet in 1977.

Click on image to view full size.

This early 1960s shot, taken in the depot at Borough Mill Oldham, shows a number of Ford Thames ET6 4D luton box vans along with four 1960 registered Thames Traders on the right.
During the mid 1960’s more Thames Traders would be introduced into the fleet to replace the aging Ford ET6 4D’s.

Hi Paul I recall Jones had a remploy ford in his fleet a green one he bought of them how you keeping I don’t think Johnny got much time left I phoned him the other day it was like he didn’t want to talk his voice was low I let you know if I get more info cheers John

smallcoal:
Hi Paul I recall Jones had a remploy ford in his fleet a green one he bought of them how you keeping I don’t think Johnny got much time left I phoned him the other day it was like he didn’t want to talk his voice was low I let you know if I get more info cheers John

Thanks for the info John.

Been through hell myself this last 6 months with chemo/radiotherapy for throat cancer down at Christie’s.

Hopefully on road to recovery now once i get over all the side effects which are a nightmare.

Ford Cargo 1417 draw-bar out fit C946 YNA driven by Tony Boyd is pictured here in 1989 after making a delivery to RAF Abingdon.

1990 and its the first day on the road for DAF 2300 prime mover G188 WJA with driver Tony Boyd delivering another load of beds from Remploy’s Newcastle factory to RAF Abingdon in Oxfordshire.
With Remploy adopting a new white livery for the 1990s the transition from the dated orange and red livery would take a few months to complete.

34.jpgInto the 1990s and Remploy adopt a new design to replace the now rather dated red and orange livery.
One of the new DAF 2100 prime movers in the fleet Reg No G877 UNB is seen here in 1991 as the new livery is applied to one of the new white demountable boxes.

Driver Jim Wilson takes time out for a picture at Remploy’s Bridgend factory in front of DAF 2100 prime mover G877 UNB in 1991 after the new style livery had been applied to the demountable box.
For the purposes of the publicity shot false number plate, H123 REM, was attached to the front of the vehicle.

29.jpgUnloading at Remploy’s Oldham factory which was located on Ashton Road Bardsley.

Hello Paul, Pleased to see the Remploy Pictures. From 1995 until 2012, my main source of work was from
the “Military and Police Equipment” division of Remploy Textiles, later to be called Remploy Frontline.
At the start, it meant changing from Curtainsiders to Boxvans with tail lifts, sleeper cabs and double
fuel tanks. Of the 123 factories within Remploy, we delivered to about 35 of them on a regular basis
from Aberdeen and Dundee up north, and Penzance and Redruth down south. I went to some rather
interesting places, particularly on Salisbury Plain, of which I am still not allowed to talk about.
The photos are one of my 17 ton GVW Mercedes Benz vans at the rear of Remploy, Huddersfield.
The Leyland Daf 45 10 ton GVW is on the A62 near Marsden, en route from Remploy at Bardsley
to Huddersfield, and a non HGV M.A.N. parked at the depot. Regards, Ray Smyth

A brand new 1954 unregistered Ford Thames ET6 4D luton box van.
Remploy ran quite a number of these vehicles throughout the 50s and early 60s all of which were powered by 4 cylinder diesel engines.
In those days all vehicle livery’s were hand painted so the intricate livery of this vehicle was quite an extensive piece of work which was all carried out by the well known local Oldham sign-writer the late Frank Wright.

One of Remploy’s Ford Thames ET6 4D luton box vans can be seen in the distance heading down Mare Street Hackney London in this great period shot from 1960.

In 1975 to promote Remploy’s presence for exports in Europe one of the company’s brand new Ford ‘D’ Series demountable box vans Reg No JLB 60N was sent over the channel to France.

In this publicity shot taken at the time Remploy driver Alan Smart is pictured in the town of Calais.

This Remploy Ford Thames Trader 6D luton van Reg No 796 CLP is pictured here when brand new in 1961 during a photo shoot at St James Park in London.

Based at Remploy’s distribution depot, at Borough Mill on Nield Street in Oldham, it was driven regularly by the late Jack Leggett who would collect full loads of electric fires, manufactured at a number of Remploy factories which were then distributed nationwide from the Oldham depot.

moomooland:
0 This Remploy Ford Thames Trader 6D luton van Reg No 796 CLP is pictured here when brand new in 1961 during a photo shoot at St James Park in London.

Based at Remploy’s distribution depot, at Borough Mill on Nield Street in Oldham, it was driven regularly by the late Jack Leggett who would collect full loads of electric fires, manufactured at a number of Remploy factories which were then distributed nationwide from the Oldham depot.

nothing to do with Remploy,but,was a company called Squaregrip in the vicinity, i took coiled wire there from Lackenby Steelworks in the mid 60s,and Neild Street seems to ring a bell??

Hi Paul, I found this Remploy picture on another thread here on Trucknet,
I expect that you have seen it before. The 2nd picture is of one of many
carrier bags that I carried when I did the Military Exhibition work for Remploy.
Senior Military Personnel and civilian Government Delegates from all around
the world would use the bags to carry away the freebies and goodies that were
usually on offer at the exhibitions. Most of the exhibitions were in this country,
but occasionally I had to go into Europe, Brussels, Dublin, etc. Regards, Ray.

Remploy Drawbar.jpg

Ray Smyth:
Hi Paul, I found this Remploy picture on another thread here on Trucknet,
I expect that you have seen it before. The 2nd picture is of one of many
carrier bags that I carried when I did the Military Exhibition work for Remploy.
Senior Military Personnel and civilian Government Delegates from all around
the world would use the bags to carry away the freebies and goodies that were
usually on offer at the exhibitions. Most of the exhibitions were in this country,
but occasionally I had to go into Europe, Brussels, Paris, Dublin, etc. Regards, Ray.

Hi Ray ,that was dai McLean who drove it it is pictured by port talbot hospital cheers John