Any pics of Houston's of Linwood

my dad worked for them for over 20 years mainly working for ACL out of Seaforth and Duncan Adams for many years before that, followed by Johnson’s of Burscough in his last few years, again working out of Seaforth

Pictured here below many years ago

Chorleyred, Joe Warburton i do believe, top bloke had the pleasure of working along side him over many years, i’m currently a subbie for Johnson’s. Sad to loose 1 of the old school. Hope u & family are doing ok?

Yes doing fine mate, still not got over losing him properly yet.

I spent all my spare time as a kid travelling up and down the country with him and all the other ACL drivers at the time, and Gerry who worked with him at Adams and then at Houstons which was probably near 35 years together

Yeah can imagine it’s still very painfull. I still see Gerry from time to time in Seaforth & also Danny. Ur dad had plenty stories to tell could certainly keep u entertained, how’s ur mum last i heard she wasn’t to well? Good luck with the pics search.

she’s getting better, don’t think she’ll ever be the same again, but a lot better than she was

I used to see Gerry every now and then on the road for Westinghouse but haven’t seen any of their wagons for a while.

see Dave Sutton a few times delivering to where I work

And yes, he had plenty of stories from his years driving. Even in his last months when the drivers were visiting him he always had a never ending list of stories :smiley:

Hi chorleyred, I was on the ACL contract in the 80’s and remember your Dad & Gerry, when they both had the Scania 111’s with a middle axle added to make them 38 ton unit’s. I also have some good memory’s of the few times we spent together tipping fishmeal at Fintray Nr; Aberdeen and also down in Slough when the three of us were booked in for an 8-00am Mon delivery :unamused:, I’m sure you will understand that I was the last to be tipped :exclamation: :exclamation: :laughing: :laughing: I also remember ‘Joe’ always having his youngun’ with him during school holidays so I’m sure I must have bumped into to you in the past at some time.

Very sorry to hear that he has passed away, my dad also passed away 3yrs ago and I still miss the times I spent with him, as a youngun’, when he was a ‘lorry driver’ and the time’s he spent with me as a ‘truck driver’ :slight_smile:

I was on for Oswald Inghams and had a DAF 2800 in ACL livery but the non-contract motors were mainly orange & red :blush:

Regards
Dave Penn;

I remember Ossie Ingham’s well.

I got on really well with one of their drivers called Dennis.

Him and my dad were both off to felixtowe and dennis had just got a new 321 MAN, so I asked Dennis could I go down with him in his new MAN.

So off we go, me and Dennis in the new MAN, and my Dad sat in Seaforth waiting for his box.

something happened and my dads load got cancelled so i’m en route to felixtowe and my dad gets a load somewhere else. I spent 2 days with Dennis before they met up around sheffield where they could swap me back over

Always remember every time dennis met us after that he kept telling my dad he’d only done it for a cheap couple of days so he didn’t have to pay for my meals too. Was a character Dennis, sure you will know who I mean as it was that era

Dennis was a long term member of the ‘Inghams’ team :laughing: I was on for them just after they got the MAN’s, AFAIR they had ‘INCO-TRANS’ on the doors but were actually on the ACL contract :confused: I did three stints for Inghams and worked as the nightman at one point but I’m struggling to remember the names of individuals, just some of the company’s like Harpers of Liverpool, Barkers of Burscough and JMD. When I was the nightman I got on really well with the trailer checker and he would keep a couple of decent trailers at the side for me so I could get in ‘n’ out a bit quicker :wink: :wink: :laughing: I also used to give a lift home to some of the computer office lads so I never missed getting a box loaded @ 9.55pm

The good ole days before all this H&S
Regards
Dave Penn;

Gerry went to work for Barkers (now westinghouse) when Houston sold up and is still there. Think they do a lot of european work for bnfl

A lot of the old drivers used to visit my dad while he was ill as he got cancer whilst still working out of seaforth for Johnsons. Dave Parfitt who was the top man at ACL for many years visited him regularly at home and in hospital. And Gerry, Arthur Rigby (owner driver of Volvo’s who did a lot of ACL work down the years) and a few of his old houstons and Johnsons workmates and many of the drivers from the docks.

was much appreciated how they kept in contact with him, as you’ll know how much he enjoyed a get together to talk about everything wagons.

Rememeber Dave Parfitt, he was the top man at ACL’s office in Liverpool :question: I remember being told to write an apology letter to him for being late at the drop with frozen fish at a Hull Coldstore. Don’t know whether it was actually sent on to him but I was kept on the job for another 18mths. (more to the story than I can write now) :blush: :blush: :wink: :wink:

Regards
Dave Penn;

he’s a good man, retired a few years back but always had my dads respect when at ACL, but as I say more so that he would drive down from scotland where he lives to visit him when he was ill

I hope you don’t mind if I just relate a little tale of me and your Dad tipping fishmeal in Fintray Nr Aberdeen. Joe was already tipping when I arrived so after parking up he came across and got into my motor whilst I put the kettle on :laughing: Iv’e always made a good brew and I’m sure it was enjoyed by both of us :smiley: . In the meantime your old man was searching through my reading material (more books than magazine’s) that I had whith me. Eventually he found the one book that I was really trying to keep hidden from most of my workmates, It was the Bible, and for the next 2 to 3 hrs myself and your dad had one of the best non-truck related chinwags that I have the pleasure of remembering :exclamation:

My wife had recently become a ‘born again christain’ and was putting incredible pressure on me to follow suit :question: :question: In the end we got a divorce and I never became a ‘born again christain’ Thank ■■■■■ because she went on to accuse me of being ‘possessed by demons’ :question: :question: But I still managed to be given full custody of my 2 daughters and my ex spent some voluntary time in a supportive caring environment :unamused: :unamused:

Yer Dad will be missed, he was well known and well respected and liked by everyone who came in contact with him.

Regards
Dave Penn;
RIP ‘Joe’

I think I may remember you actually. Remember delivering somewhere with my dad and you had your young girlfriend I think it would have been back then

Have this recollection that not long after we parked in the bay next to your Daf you and the girlfriend pulled the curtains round.

But I could be mistaking you with someone else from inghams :laughing: