Relationships

lolipop:
If you meet someone and click she/he will get to know what you do for a living and will accept the time away is part of your job,if not its move on time until you find the right one

As many on here will tell you if really isn’t that simple! Many people think they can cope with a partner being away 80% of the time but then reality hits and they can’t, especially when children are involved

switchlogic:

lolipop:
If you meet someone and click she/he will get to know what you do for a living and will accept the time away is part of your job,if not its move on time until you find the right one

As many on here will tell you if really isn’t that simple! Many people think they can cope with a partner being away 80% of the time but then reality hits and they can’t, especially when children are involved

This. Im away a lot, both driving trucks, and to do with the main part of my job and i think im lucky with my relationship.

But i see a lot of relationships end, divorces take place or good lads quit because they have been given an ultimatum from home.

The ones who have OHs that allegedly “really don’t mind” them being away all week as the ones that will be getting serviced by your best mate/neighbour/work colleague while you’re stood there telling anyone who’ll listen how great she is :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: . Also the trampers themselves are just as bad for it - if not worse. Just observe the activity in the vicinity of any city red light district from late afternoon and you’ll see them driving round in circles checking out the talent whilst deciding which one to summon for a quick gobble or more. Used to see it all the time from John Petty’s in Leeds and even my old mate who I used to run with did it every time we parked up near Super Sausage in Northampton as they hang out in the industrial estate over the road. He had a “good wife” :smiley: at home looking after the house and kids whilst he was getting sucked off by some ■■■■ in Northampton or wherever else he was parked. He was quite blasé about the whole thing and was firmly of the opinion that what she didn’t know about couldn’t hurt her. These trampers that think the same thing doesn’t happen back at home while they’re down the road are deluding themselves.

(I must correct the above - it’s only 99.9%, not all. Must add that disclaimer so that the small minority of snowflake mods don’t get offended by me making “generalisations” and delete my post :unamused: )

A Forces wife or partner would have a support group of people in the same situation, whereas a trampers wife is very much on her own.My best pick up line is “You don’t sweat very much for a fat lass”.

I find that it’s the “not knowing” part of the job my woman struggles with. What time I’ll be back, if I’ll be back. If I say the night before I’ve got to night out the next 2 shifts she says she’s fine, it’s when I ring her as she’s making plans for tea to tell her im gonna fall short of hours that gets her peed

Honestly though , sometimes I’ll be driving back to the yard at 5pm on the m60 anti clockwise, looking at all the crap I’m going to be sat in the other direction in half an hour’s time to get home, put my stuff away get my gear ready for tomorrow, shower and tea and watch some rubbish TV, spend an hour with her and then it’s off too bed.

We have great weekends together and are financially sound, minimum 2 holidays a year. But do you ever know how happy they are at home.

You learn alot about the sort of relationship you’ve got in terms of trust at least from doing this job.

A few chat up lines appearing. I always find “scream and I’ll knife you” works well enough.

I usually rely on the classics to break the ice:

“Hello my name’s Pinocchio sit on my face and I’ll tell you some lies.”
“It’s alright for you, I have to walk out this scary forest on my own.”

i always find the phrase " lets go for a walk in the woods so i can carve your name on a tree " is the easiest way to let the ■■■■■ know im carrying a knife :slight_smile:

dieseldog999:
i always find the phrase " lets go for a walk in the woods so i can carve your name on a tree " is the easiest way to let the ■■■■■ know im carrying a knife :slight_smile:

Let’s go BG racing in two seperate cars - and I can carve you up at the three lanes into one section!

Dipper_Dave:
I usually rely on the classics to break the ice:

“Hello my name’s Pinocchio sit on my face and I’ll tell you some lies.”
“It’s alright for you, I have to walk out this scary forest on my own.”

Don’t forget that you have to punctuate the lies with truths - or you’ll end up running her through the ceiling, rather than enjoying any “outstrokes”…! :stuck_out_tongue:

this job can be a marriage breaker thats for sure…i`m on no 3.for the past 30 years…but thats down to the fact she understands what my line of work is, and accepts it…its hard with young kids…woman gets no help…has to run the home as well…kids pantomime or acting role…want mum and dad there…etc etc…all is fine if theres a strong family bond…she can call on someone if needs be…that gives you peace of mind too…call home regularly as well…make them feel special…one of my exes had more fun when i was away…boozy parties etc…but was sad when i came home from a trip…miserable cow…enjoy your work,but remember you have someone at home too…and kids…theyre important too…but all more important than chasing cash…there are other jobs where you can earn the same…or more and be home more often.

alamcculloch:
A Forces wife or partner would have a support group of people in the same situation, whereas a trampers wife is very much on her own.My best pick up line is “You don’t sweat very much for a fat lass”.

Not sure about that these days though, might have been so back in the days of married quarters? Neighbours grandaughter has a husband in the RAF and he is sometimes away for four months at a time while she lives with her two kids in the family home in our town. He had the job when she married him but still finds it difficult at times. My own father was often away for a week at a time lorry driving in the fifties but during the war when they were courting he was away for almost five years (when he finally arrived home after demob his father had burned all his clothes as he assumed that he was dead!! :laughing: ) so I guess mum was rather used to it! :unamused:

It all depends on how strong the relationship is, many jobs involve long seperations such as oil workers and those on ships (merchant navy) but many couples make it work OK for them.

Pete.

Tramping, away every week, days on end.

Forces, usually at home, sometime enforced breaks of up to 4 months with a 10/14 day R&R sometime during the 4 months.
Expect to spend 4 months way every year.