Married or divorced?

just curious how many marriges/relationships have been ruined by this job? After 15 years have just met someone else and feel like crap. Is it just me or is this what this job does to us

This week ■■? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I have a mate 70 this year been married 50 years this year, left his wife a week last Thursday moved back last Saturday. The grass ain’t always greener on the other side.

coca cola kid:
I have a mate 70 this year been married 50 years this year, left his wife a week last Thursday moved back last Saturday. The grass ain’t always greener on the other side.

Are You sure He didn’t just get lost and couldn’t find His way Home. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I had two destroyed by the job, this time I make sure I am home every weekend and spend as much time as possible. If it wasn’t for the high pay for the job I would be looking elsewhere and do local work.

Was with my missus (not married) before I started the job, in fact before I could even drive a car.

I was a computer and network engineer when we met, wore a suit, always clean shaved etc, gave all that up and became a binman back in 1998 because I didn’t like being indoors anymore.
Since then I’ve done all the ‘crap’ jobs, binman, street sweeper, factory worker, warehouse worker etc
Then I got my PSV and went driving busses and coaches, still home most nights though
Then I got my HGV, started mainly doing airfreight work so still home most days or nights
Started tramping in around 2009, but back on days at the moment

We have arguments, like everyone else, but it’s very rare the job comes into it, only when lack of work is making things hard financially.
If I’m away all week, I take her out for a meal on the Saturday, and we have time just for us on the Sunday, going markets or the beach, then lazing about the house watching shows or movies.

My beloved is in London for two weeks,trip planned for a while and I took time off to look after the ranch.Had been looking forward to the freedom as in"do what you want when you want"scenario.How wrong I was,the novelty lasted 2 days at most,we BBM,Skype,and talk on the phone daily,but even after 23 years we’re both counting the days.Bloody women :unamused: :laughing:

I understand what some people are saying but for me it’s completely diff me n my mrs cudnt get on better even tho we only c each other at weekends for us it works
The only prob is when I retire few years yet will we cope with each other 24 7 ?
Or do I just disappear somewhere mon fri pub sounds good

it’s brought us closer together. she loves coming with me. fair enough it costs a fortune when she does. but it’s good fun.
been together since 1987.

When chauffeuring in Ireland I was never home…By choice. That split me and Kenny’s Mom up. Ended up marrying my 1st girlfriend in Crick (Thanks Friendsreunited!) That broke down after 2 years because I was away tramping every week and couldn’t get on with her son. Now with current pump 4 years this year. All going well. The 2 weeks I get away on the new job help. Who would wanna be with me 24/7? :laughing:

S80RTE:

coca cola kid:

Are You sure He didn’t just get lost and couldn’t find His way Home. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

:slight_smile:
We lost our tortoise longer than that last week!

It must be harder making it all work with a wife that has a seperate life and all that.

Perhaps the “forces wife” lifestyle works better?

On the other side of the coin, marriage seems to work if and when your wife becomes your total satellite. I have a pledge from my wife for example, that if my job (ANY job not just driving!) took me abroad, the only place she doesn’t want to be is Johannesburg, 'cos that’s where her mum cam from, and it’s a crime hotspot. :wink:

How many out there have got wives that say crap like “Ooh, I can’t possibly leave all my friends and family behind - not even for $1280 a week” or whatever… :frowning:

In my third decade of C+E driving now, with the spot of 7.5 & 18t work here and there - when the pay is the same! I’ve yet to spend more than one night away in that time. I don’t know if it is the same in other parts, but in the southeast a week’s NIGHTS pays more than TRAMPING. Who wants around £24-£25k tramping when you can get £28k+ pro rata on nights? :open_mouth:

I’m home in the morning to do the school run, and can sit and eat an early evening dinner with my family before setting off for work. Then of course there’s the cutting down from 6 days to 2 averaged during the last 2 years, adding ever more to the quality time spent with my family. I guess I must be one of those guys who holds his home life in higher esteem than a mucky job in the twilight zone at that. :unamused: Either way, I’d describe my marriage as rock solid. My wife doesn’t even drive, but she has worked as a transport clerk so pretty much knows the business, and can therefore sympathize with my rants when I’ve been wound up by some large organ sitting in front of a desk that day. :mrgreen :grimacing:

'Kin Ell Fred - Nips like Organ stops or what!.jpg

Winseer:
It must be harder making it all work with a wife that has a seperate life and all that.

Perhaps the “forces wife” lifestyle works better?

On the other side of the coin, marriage seems to work if and when your wife becomes your total satellite. I have a pledge from my wife for example, that if my job (ANY job not just driving!) took me abroad, the only place she doesn’t want to be is Johannesburg, 'cos that’s where her mum cam from, and it’s a crime hotspot. :wink:

How many out there have got wives that say crap like “Ooh, I can’t possibly leave all my friends and family behind - not even for $1280 a week” or whatever… :frowning:

In my third decade of C+E driving now, with the spot of 7.5 & 18t work here and there - when the pay is the same! I’ve yet to spend more than one night away in that time. I don’t know if it is the same in other parts, but in the southeast a week’s NIGHTS pays more than TRAMPING. Who wants around £24-£25k tramping when you can get £28k+ pro rata on nights? :open_mouth:

I’m home in the morning to do the school run, and can sit and eat an early evening dinner with my family before setting off for work. Then of course there’s the cutting down from 6 days to 2 averaged during the last 2 years, adding ever more to the quality time spent with my family. I guess I must be one of those guys who holds his home life in higher esteem than a mucky job in the twilight zone at that. :unamused: Either way, I’d describe my marriage as rock solid. My wife doesn’t even drive, but she has worked as a transport clerk so pretty much knows the business, and can therefore sympathize with my rants when I’ve been wound up by some large organ sitting in front of a desk that day. :mrgreen :grimacing:

How did I know your post would contain. How many days you work, and how much you wouldn’t work for.
Don’t you think it’s getting a bit boring now. It’s nearly every post

Ooh…Controversy. That’s why I joined this! :sunglasses:

Speaking as the partner of a driver.

In his last job, he was a shunter at a factory, and hated it, every day would be a bad day with his boss/work colleagues/whatever and I was getting the full brunt of it, every day, even the dog learned about 6-2 and 2-10 shifts and used to go into hiding when he was due home.

He decided to go for his licences and I helped him with them, testing on his theory etc, and I was so happy when he finally passed his class 1. Then was downhearted with him as he struggled to find a job while still working at the factory.

He got a job, and things changed straight away, he pretty much went straight into tramping and has been a nicer person to be with since. Sure he still gets bad days, but no where near as bad as they used to be, and the being away from each other all week has both advantages and disadvantages (mainly it means anything to do with the kids is down to me), we do still fall out, and it’s made worse by a weekend of silence and then him going off to work on a Monday with barely a muttered goodbye, but we manage to work through it.

Before I got a job outside of the house (I was a homeworker), I did say that if we needed to move for his work we would, without hesitation. More difficult now my daughter is a college, my son doing his GCSEs and I would need a store transfer.

When we have time off together, that can get interesting, as we are just not used to being together 24/7, so it usually goes a bit ■■■■ up, then sorts itself out when we are both back at work :confused:

Been out with him on a few trips, and he was convinced that he would never get me to overnight in the cab (two bunker), and was more than surprised when a chance came up and I said yes, was even more impressed when I was quite happy with him parking up on an industrial estate overnight :laughing:

Although, I still don’t like coffee made with coffee whitener!

I’ve seen the following scenario so many times…

Bloke says to me “I’m coming off the road and getting a normal job so me and the wife can see more of each other”.

Six months later I bump into him and he’s back driving a truck. I say “I thought you were coming off the road so you could spend more time with your wife?” and he says “Oh, she left me, she couldn’t stand me being around all the time”

How did I know your post would contain. How many days you work, and how much you wouldn’t work for.
Don’t you think it’s getting a bit boring now. It’s nearly every post

You’ve NO RIGHT to critisise others for their working patterns, any more than I have to critisise you for being
There are laws against what you are doing, but not against why I do OK? so let’s just leave it at that, and just stay away from each other in future. :imp: :imp: :imp:

If the relationship isn’t sound, then this job will open the cracks up quicker than most.

I’m frankly astounded at how badly some drivers talk about their partners, nothing but contempt for them, this is wrong, thats wrong, stop out all week to keep away, row like blazes when off work, so back to being away all week. why bother, better to split up and try to get some pleasure out of life.

One bloke who i used to work with hadn’t got a single good word to say for his wife, i was terrified of her and i’d never laid eyes on her, should have heard him going on about her.
I had reason to telephone him at nearly midnight once, very important call, woke his wife up who really couldn’t have been nicer, which kinda shocked me, i expected an ear bending.
Mind you he was the company spy, so should have known not to believe a word he said.

Winseer:
Don’t you think it’s getting a bit boring now. It’s nearly every post FFS.
We know your a lazy [zb] that plays the system.
The soon this or the next government clamps down on handouts, you may have to work a full week like the rest of us.

You’ve NO RIGHT to critisise others for their working patterns, any more than I have to critisise you for being a complete ■■■■■■ against me personally.
There are laws against what you are doing, but not against why I do OK? so let’s just leave it at that, and just stay away from each other in future. :imp: :imp: :imp:
[/quote]
Whatever you

Dave55:

S80RTE:

coca cola kid:

:slight_smile:
We lost our tortoise longer than that last week!

Update: the other woman must have put some weed n feed on the grass, he’s gone again.

If he was just lost last time he will find it harder to get back next time, his wife has torn page 35 out of his map