Reefer question..

AndrewG:

Adonis.:

AndrewG:

UKtramp:
Your post is really interesting to me although I do suspect it is a ■■■■ take!!!

No its a serious Q. I really am pulling tomato’s sunday afternoon onwards to Calais. It’ll already be loaded when i go to hook up and obviously the fridge will be running and someone will have set the stat but i just need to know in my own mind that its at the correct temp. It could well be on the notes but i want to be sure…

Get the boss man or the customer to give you an answer, written preferably. Sometimes the CMR has it, if it doesn’t I’ll get the place I’m loading to write it on it, covers my back so I can shrug and point If anyone gets moany.

A.

This is the problem mate, trailer will already be loaded ready to go and the office is pretty lax/useless on such matters, you get the paperwork handed to you and thats it, youre just expected to know. Hoping the CMR has it…

http://www.cargohandbook.com/index.php/Tomatoes

dieseldog999:
every co runs the same stuff at different temps…ask the q…get an answer,and your bums covered…its not uncommon to lift a load of ambient/chiled out of the supermarkets for northern ireland for the already loaded and running fridge to be set at minus 23 as thats what the previous load came over in…once they notice that and everythings frozen solid,then it goes back to belfast,gets emptied outside in the yard till it defrosts,then delivered as if nothing was wrong.they will take a penalty for late delivery which is much less that a completely rejected load…ask the q and cover your bum…on the other hand.lift it,say nothing,and you will have plenty of time to kill once they reject it and your office try to find somewhere to tip it… :slight_smile:

Have seen those blue Tesco deckers come into Boucher and frigo playing up.
The full Decker load then tipped into the Orange hook-loader skip in yard and dinner is served for the gulls!!![emoji2]

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

biggriffin:
Tomatoes +5~~+7

Bananas +13 content

Potatoes +8~~~+10

Flowers +7

Sausages fresh 0

Those tomatoes are on the wrong side of +10 for spoiling. Every temp and customers requirements are different but tomatoes at +5 will not only lose flavour but will condensate on the supermarket shelf, are these pre packed or lose? Hate to sound picky but fresh cut flowers once again depends on the type of flower you are transporting, at +7 deg C most will perish quicker than ones at 0 deg C, but it does depend on the type of flower. The rule of thumb for most fresh cut flower is around 0 to +3 or they die quickly, others would get freeze burn at this temp.

is the senders telephone number not on the CMR ? If it is ring them and ask them

cargohandbook.com/index.php/Tomatoes

Optimum carrying temperature
12°C to 15°C (mature green)
10°C to 12°C (turning)
8°C to 10°C (ripe)

it would seem there are a number of options.

beefy4605:
is the senders telephone number not on the CMR ? If it is ring them and ask them

10°C to 12°C (turning)
8°C to 10°C (ripe)

8 deg C is once again a little on the low side for ripe, big risk of spoiling them at this temp. A safe temp for tomatoes if no temp has been set for them is 10 deg c. You will not spoil them set at this.

UKtramp:

beefy4605:

10°C to 12°C (turning)
8°C to 10°C (ripe)

8 deg C is once again a little on the low side for ripe, big risk of spoiling them at this temp. A safe temp for tomatoes if no temp has been set for them is 10 deg c. You will not spoil them set at this.

Just trying to give the man some simple information to help him do his job . Info taken from a website that is well used by the shipping industry therefore is good info and not guestmates . Always better to get it straight from the people sending the stuff . I’m sure any expert on the subject would agree .

beefy4605:

UKtramp:

beefy4605:

10°C to 12°C (turning)
8°C to 10°C (ripe)

Just trying to give the man some simple information to help him do his job . Info taken from a website that is well used by the shipping industry therefore is good info and not guestmates . Always better to get it straight from the people sending the stuff . I’m sure any expert on the subject would agree .

I sure would agree, just pointing out the error in their temp ranges but it is what the customer says he wants the temp to be that will count.

Following on from what I posted before.
pnas.org/content/113/44/12580.full
There`s a link to source material.
“Flavor-associated volatiles are sensitive to temperatures below 12 °C, and their loss greatly reduces flavor quality”
“However, significant loss of flavor volatiles was observed for fruit stored at 5 °C for 8 d. Even after a 1-d recovery period at 20 °C, volatile composition was still significantly lower than in unchilled fruit, resulting in lower overall consumer liking.”

Thats all about flavour and is only for interest in this context really. Cooler temps, without freezing the toms and so splitting their skins, will keep them safe and fresher looking longer, but at the expense of flavour. Keep your tomatoes in a home fridge for a longer storage life. Grow them yourself, or source them from somewhere theyve never been chilled, to actually get a tomato that tastes like a tomato.

Franglais:
Following on from what I posted before.
pnas.org/content/113/44/12580.full
There`s a link to source material.
“Flavor-associated volatiles are sensitive to temperatures below 12 °C, and their loss greatly reduces flavor quality”
“However, significant loss of flavor volatiles was observed for fruit stored at 5 °C for 8 d. Even after a 1-d recovery period at 20 °C, volatile composition was still significantly lower than in unchilled fruit, resulting in lower overall consumer liking.”

Thats all about flavour and is only for interest in this context really. Cooler temps, without freezing the toms and so splitting their skins, will keep them safe and fresher looking longer, but at the expense of flavour. Keep your tomatoes in a home fridge for a longer storage life. Grow them yourself, or source them from somewhere theyve never been chilled, to actually get a tomato that tastes like a tomato.

Spot on

Thanks to everyone thats taken time to reply inc Beefy’s link… :smiley:
Now back at base and nothing on the notes. Been told to just take the load with whatever the temps set with the guys at the cold store. Apparently theyre green/ red so looking like 10-12 degrees. Will see what it is when i hook up Sunday…
Cheers all…

We collect tomatoes for Morrisons direct from the farm ready for delivery to stores the next day, and they insist on +10 degrees.

Big Truck:

dieseldog999:
every co runs the same stuff at different temps…ask the q…get an answer,and your bums covered…its not uncommon to lift a load of ambient/chiled out of the supermarkets for northern ireland for the already loaded and running fridge to be set at minus 23 as thats what the previous load came over in…once they notice that and everythings frozen solid,then it goes back to belfast,gets emptied outside in the yard till it defrosts,then delivered as if nothing was wrong.they will take a penalty for late delivery which is much less that a completely rejected load…ask the q and cover your bum…on the other hand.lift it,say nothing,and you will have plenty of time to kill once they reject it and your office try to find somewhere to tip it… :slight_smile:

The full Decker load then tipped into the Orange hook-loader skip in yard and dinner is served for the gulls!!![emoji2]

thats why seagulls have such big wings…so they can beat they gypjops to the tip…the biggest rats ive ever seen in my life reside in tescos boucher…i think they live in the double skin insulation in the chilled areas…absolutely massive and the best fed rats in world history…

dieseldog999:

Big Truck:

dieseldog999:

thats why seagulls have such big wings…so they can beat they gypjops to the tip…the biggest rats ive ever seen in my life reside in tescos boucher…i think they live in the double skin insulation in the chilled areas…absolutely massive and the best fed rats in world history…

I’m scared to put the full lights on when I’m driving down the Boucher road early in the morning as you see far to many wee sets of eyes looking back at you . lol

UKtramp:
Well I am going to fall for this but anyway here goes just in case you are serious. Tomatoes do not need to be refrigerated but they do require temperature control during transporting these goods as you need to not only keep the flavour but they need to be kept in a good condition. In the winter it is easier to transport these and store them, in the summer there are lots of variables too many to discuss here. A typical temp setting would be from 10 deg c to 15 degc. This is also dependent on a few factors of ripeness from green to red. You need not look too far for a refrigeration expert on here. The tomato is a favourite fruit of mine to study, I was actually commissioned to do a study on storing and transporting tomatoes as they are a very delicate produce. Your post is really interesting to me although I do suspect it is a ■■■■ take!!!

Hmmmm…

As a rule of thumb and without official instruction 10c.

Heisenberrg:

UKtramp:
Well I am going to fall for this but anyway here goes just in case you are serious. Tomatoes do not need to be refrigerated but they do require temperature control during transporting these goods as you need to not only keep the flavour but they need to be kept in a good condition. In the winter it is easier to transport these and store them, in the summer there are lots of variables too many to discuss here. A typical temp setting would be from 10 deg c to 15 degc. This is also dependent on a few factors of ripeness from green to red. You need not look too far for a refrigeration expert on here. The tomato is a favourite fruit of mine to study, I was actually commissioned to do a study on storing and transporting tomatoes as they are a very delicate produce. Your post is really interesting to me although I do suspect it is a ■■■■ take!!!

Hmmmm…

Posting irrelevant images without information is neither science, a well made point, nor is it intelligent.

Tomatoes should not be stored in a fridge - they can be transported in a fridge for a short time, but keeping them in a fridge for the purpose of preservation is a demonstration of poor stock control.

Tomatoes do deteriorate quickly… so don’t buy too many: Simples!

Jingle Jon:

Heisenberrg:

UKtramp:

Hmmmm…

Posting irrelevant images without information is neither science, a well made point, nor is it intelligent.

Tomatoes should not be stored in a fridge - they can be transported in a fridge for a short time, but keeping them in a fridge for the purpose of preservation is a demonstration of poor stock control.

Tomatoes do deteriorate quickly… so don’t buy too many: Simples!

Thankfully I don’t see any posts from Heisenberrg nor do I want to, I only see his comments through others posts if they appear as embedded. But if it is anything to go by from the rest of his posts it will be utter rubbish and a waste of time viewing, follow my advice JJ and pop him on foe in your control panel. He is plain weird and is no different to a stalker which I believe he actually is!

Tomato-gate.

dave_k:
Tomato-gate.

:smiley: :smiley:

Always ran them at +4…and fruit the same, unless we were told otherwise, sometimes +2 for the fruit from the farms to the depot.