Reefer question..

+4 is way too cold for tomatoes to be transported at. Whoever told you to set those temps are wrong and it is more of a guess than for the good of the tomato. The only tomato that would need to be set at +4 would be those from Spain.

Picked up Bakkavors reefer this afternoon and the stats set at 10 degrees so thats where i left it. Very very nice trailer, immaculate Lamberet with Alcoas /surround rear marker lights/ full width spray flap ect plus very quiet under floor mid mounted fridge…makes a change from the smashed up/ wrecked tilts i usually drag behind me… :smiley:

AndrewG:
Picked up Bakkavors reefer this afternoon and the stats set at 10 degrees so thats where i left it. Very very nice trailer, immaculate Lamberet with Alcoas /surround rear marker lights/ full width spray flap ect plus very quiet under floor mid mounted fridge…makes a change from the smashed up/ wrecked tilts i usually drag behind me… :smiley:

My prediction was correct then Andrew, I think your firm could well benefit from having a driver such as me to advise on temps and to drive across Europe. Put a word in for me. :smiley:

UKtramp:

AndrewG:

My prediction was correct then Andrew, I think your firm could well benefit from having a driver such as me to advise on temps and to drive across Europe. Put a word in for me. :smiley:

Will do, ill try and convince them they need a refrigeration engineer on board… :grimacing:

AndrewG:

UKtramp:

AndrewG:

Will do, ill try and convince them they need a refrigeration engineer on board… :grimacing:

You know it makes sense, I also have a Spanish bank account and nef number :smiley: :smiley:

UKtramp:
The tomato is a favourite fruit of mine to study,

I know that tomatoes are technically a fruit, but in the real world they are actually a vegetable, otherwise you could put them in a fruit salad. :stuck_out_tongue:

Harry Monk:

UKtramp:
The tomato is a favourite fruit of mine to study,

I know that tomatoes are technically a fruit, but in the real world they are actually a vegetable, otherwise you could put them in a fruit salad. :stuck_out_tongue:

I always find it odd how a tomato is classified as a fruit tbh, just doesn’t seem right, tomato pie anyone? :smiley:

10 degrees will be fine. Dont chill them they will spoil

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

leescotcher88:
10 degrees will be fine. Dont chill them they will spoil

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

If your after a job at Andrews place, join the back of the que buddy!!

AndrewG:
Pulling one of Bakkavor Ibericas reefers next week being loaded with tomatos. We occasionally pull for B.I but its always frozen. Yes the transport orifice should be briefed but… (goes in one ear and lost in the other sometimes :unamused: ) and it maybe on the paperwork but i need to know for sure the temperature to set the thermostat at, now is it the domestic fridge temperature ie 3-5 degrees or maybe higher? Obviously dont want to be held responsible for a ruined load.
Any help here appreciated… :wink:

biggriffin:

AndrewG:
Pulling one of Bakkavor Ibericas reefers next week being loaded with tomatos. We occasionally pull for B.I but its always frozen. Yes the transport orifice should be briefed but… (goes in one ear and lost in the other sometimes :unamused: ) and it maybe on the paperwork but i need to know for sure the temperature to set the thermostat at, now is it the domestic fridge temperature ie 3-5 degrees or maybe higher? Obviously dont want to be held responsible for a ruined load.
Any help here appreciated… :wink:

Attachment missing from quote but yes, Bakkavor Iberica reefer. Some are in slightly different livery but the one i have is the same… :wink:

UKtramp.+ 4 was what we were told, if its wrong thats not my fault, they used to be carried with peppers at the same temp…and every load i always asked, even if it was on the loading sheets.

truckyboy:
UKtramp.+ 4 was what we were told, if its wrong thats not my fault, they used to be carried with peppers at the same temp…and every load i always asked, even if it was on the loading sheets.

Yes I understand it is no fault of yours, you set the temps that the customer requires, it is their own fault if the temp is too warm/ cold.

How come we used to have them on trailers, roped and sheeted with all the other fruit and veg and they were still OK ?

peterm:
How come we used to have them on trailers, roped and sheeted with all the other fruit and veg and they were still OK ?

You still can do, it is all down to the supermarkets now and what they will call quality control. Temperature control sells more produce as it keeps the majority of the produce fresher and looking good on the supermarket shelf. Less wastage in general terms.

peterm:

Very true. I used to pick them up from Covent Garden on a flat in the old days.
All the supermarkets seem to have different ideas now, Sainsbury’s is +7, Lidl is +14, Waitrose is +12

Yep, I used to get them from the garden too.

Mushrooms could be another debatable one, years ago when i lived in the UK my uncle used to have a mushroom farm at Rackheath Norwich. They were all picked/sorted and boxed on site and sent to Norwich train station for Covent garden, no refridgeration involved and yet these are always in the controlled temp at the supermarket, on the shelves in Spain anyway…

peterm:
Yep, I used to get them from the garden too.

magic ?

Tim Harford did a short piece recently about refrigeration and gave honourable mention to ThermoKing. Wiithout the cold chain we’d have more wastage of food hence need more produced to consume the same. It’s cheaper and greener to griw toms in Spain and transport them north rather than heat greenhouses. Also women can go to work snd increase the economy rather than go shopping every day.
So ThermoKing are responsible for all accidents caused by Wimmens driving trucks.

_:wink:

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk