Recovery driver killed

AndieHyde:
I did it this very day. A couple of guys putting cones out to protect themselves whilst about to do some roadside gardening, I slowed down and got out as far as I could so everyone could get on with their day with the minimum of disruption. The 3 cars following me however, staunchly stuck to their lane markings and the one behind me even went for the overtake.

Seriously, has the race to the bottom of the economy gotten to the point where some consider road maintenance workers “fair game” and all consideration is lost?

My condolences to the family of this needlesss incident.

Indeed, life is now cheap, cheap as chips it would seem. Along with consideration, manners and respect, the idea that anyone else is allowed to have a life, is a quaint notion to many, for they have no idea what it is they do…They are oblivious, selfish, perhaps greedy, most definitely in a rush, because they are pressurised by others, they allow themselves to be manipulated by others and this in turn gives them all the negative qualities of humanity, point it out to them, they don`t like it, become aggressive etc.
I used to be of the opinion that accidents did happen and was not happy when the Police took that avenue away, however, as todays drivers are so awful, in so many aspects, I now completely agree…But it has made no or little difference, the human condition is not a good one right now.

RIP to the guy doing his job.

Yes, its a very dangerous job for these guys, brings it all home when you hear this sad news…r.i.p. fella and condolences to his loved ones…

att:
Indeed, life is now cheap, cheap as chips it would seem. Along with consideration, manners and respect, the idea that anyone else is allowed to have a life, is a quaint notion to many, for they have no idea what it is they do…They are oblivious, selfish, perhaps greedy, most definitely in a rush, because they are pressurised by others, they allow themselves to be manipulated by others and this in turn gives them all the negative qualities of humanity, point it out to them, they don`t like it, become aggressive etc.
I used to be of the opinion that accidents did happen and was not happy when the Police took that avenue away, however, as todays drivers are so awful, in so many aspects, I now completely agree…But it has made no or little difference, the human condition is not a good one right now.

RIP to the guy doing his job.

I could say all of that in far fewer words. “Some people have their priorities all wrong”.

Have a think about this . . .

Our police forces are scared that they may become liable to foot the bill of providing a vehicle recovery service.

If you understand that, then you probably understand how the current system is allowed to work, & all of its failings are simply brushed away.

chester1:
Always arrested when a death involved and esp when he hit a stationary vehical .

No, it’s simply not true to say that drivers (even just LGV drivers) are “always arrested” when someone is killed.

I Am Fortunate (Or Unfortunate - Depends Which Way You Look At It) To Be Involved In The Vehicle Recovery Industry, And My Business Provides Service To A Police Authority And All Of The Major Motoring Organisations.

There Has Been A Spate Of Accidents This Week Involving Recovery Operators From Around The Country Both Being Injured And Unfortunately Like This Incident, A Loss Of Life.

I Think The “Slow Down - Move Over” Concept Is Great, And It WILL Save Lives And Prevent Injury To Both Recovery Contractors And Motorists Alike, However Like Everything Else That Is Against The Law (Drink Driving - Mobile Phone Use Behind The Wheel Etc…) Enforcing It Will Be The Issue. There Simply Aren’t Enough Roads Policing Units Out There To Actively Police Something Like This.

Amongst The “Professional Driving Community” Raising Awareness Of This Issue Is The Way To Move Forward And Get The Message Out To The Motoring Public.

The Other Major Issue The Industry Faces In Regards To Safety At The Roadside Is The Mass Dilution Of The Effectiveness Of Amber Beacons. The Bin-man Has Them, So Does The Milkman, And The Guy Sweeping The Road… Though I Appreciate That No Amount Of Flashing Lights Will Stop The Guy On His Phone/Asleep Etc Coming Down The Shoulder And Causing A Nasty Accident.

There Is An Interesting Website That Was Created By Someone Within Our Industry For Those That Are Interested With Some Links To Various Past Incidents.

slowdownmoveover.co.uk/

Its Not Always Possible, But If Everyone Could Shift Over Just Half A Lane When You See Us Working At The Side Of The Road, We’d Really Appreciate It.

It is very sad, and to be honest I don’t see why HATO can’t attend to breakdowns in the first place and come off lane 1 as they do for wheel fitters then people have no choice but to move over. Sometimes it’s not possible to move over when idiots won’t move to the next clear lane but I always drive right on the white line to my right and ease off if I can’t move over a lane. Sadly too many people just don’t care. And the attitude of it won’t happen to me.

Very sad. Been in that situation myself in my fitting days changing wheels and even a spring on the hard shoulder. Regarding ‘smart’ motorways, I got onto the M1 Northbound at gate 29 and straight away the 60 mph speed restriction sign was illuminated together with an arrow to move across into the second lane and the message that a slow moving vehicle was wanting to move out of an emergency layby. It was a recovery truck towing a VW camper, everyone moved across and out he came. How does that work, does the driver notify the Highways Agency that he is ready to rejoin the M/way or do cameras pick up on it?

Pete.

att:

I was reading somewhere that one evening this week a train driver was taken ill at the ‘wheel’, as it were, in a difficult-to-access place, and as a result the train was held for some time awaiting a replacement. Despite the circumstances being announced it didn’t stop the predictable jumping on Twitter by certain passengers to complain about the delay. No doubt the same kind of people who find it necessary to broadcast via social media what they had for breakfast three days ago. I wish a hole would open up and swallow each and every one of these self-obsessed, self-important cretins.

windrush:
Very sad. Been in that situation myself in my fitting days changing wheels and even a spring on the hard shoulder. Regarding ‘smart’ motorways, I got onto the M1 Northbound at gate 29 and straight away the 60 mph speed restriction sign was illuminated together with an arrow to move across into the second lane and the message that a slow moving vehicle was wanting to move out of an emergency layby. It was a recovery truck towing a VW camper, everyone moved across and out he came. How does that work, does the driver notify the Highways Agency that he is ready to rejoin the M/way or do cameras pick up on it?

Pete.

Hi Pete,

The Process For This Is That The Recovery Operator Involved In The Recovery Of The Vehicle From An Emergency Refuge Area Is “Supposed” To Notify The Highways Agency Using The Orange SOS Phone Located Within The ERA Of His/Her Intentions. Highways Will Then Advise The Relevant Course Of Action / Set Signals As Required.

switchlogic:

Kate:
RIP Fella…

I moved over this evening on the relatively quiet M50 for a guy recovering a tractor unit… 2 cars passed me on the inside, at a fair speed… and no, I didn’t pull out in front of them… Makes my blood boil…

I straddle the lanes to stop morons doing this.

+1
Me too

Steve_H:

windrush:

Pete.

Hi Pete,

The Process For This Is That The Recovery Operator Involved In The Recovery Of The Vehicle From An Emergency Refuge Area Is “Supposed” To Notify The Highways Agency Using The Orange SOS Phone Located Within The ERA Of His/Her Intentions. Highways Will Then Advise The Relevant Course Of Action / Set Signals As Required.

Thank’s for that Steve, it appears to work well assuming that everyone obeys the warnings.

simcor:
It is very sad, and to be honest I don’t see why HATO can’t attend to breakdowns in the first place and come off lane 1 as they do for wheel fitters then people have no choice but to move over. Sometimes it’s not possible to move over when idiots won’t move to the next clear lane but I always drive right on the white line to my right and ease off if I can’t move over a lane. Sadly too many people just don’t care. And the attitude of it won’t happen to me.

Unfortunately, we can’t be everywhere at once. The nearest patrol may have been busy with another incident. Another sad fact is some recovery operators don’t even request assistance, they just crack on with the job in hand, oblivious to the dangers surrounding them. :frowning:

Another sad fact is some recovery operators don’t even request assistance, they just crack on with the job in hand, oblivious to the dangers surrounding them. :frowning:

This Is Very True :frowning: