Bonehead recovery driver

What is it with recovery drivers,are they from the planet Krypton!

Narrowly missed this bonehead today,walking up the side of his recovery truck on the hard shoulder of the motorway ,then he decideds to fling his drivers side door open,right in front of me! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I didn,t want to get blood on my truck ,so i straddled two lanes thank god nobody was outside me. :unamused:

Maybe its their orange hi-viz which turns them into a super hero or something!

It wasn’t the one on the M6 at Shap that has been hit was it? Some do seem oblivious but the experienced ones know better!!

On the whole I think they are a lot more aware than this particular individual, why not just get in from the passenger side of the cab? But particularly in the US there are a depressing amount that lose their lives on the shoulder of the highways every year, even though they have the Slow Down Move Over rule there, which trade groups are also campaigning for the introduction of over here too.

maestegboy:

Narrowly missed this bonehead today,walking up the side of his recovery truck on the hard shoulder of the motorway ,then he decideds to fling his drivers side door open,right in front of me! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I didn,t want to get blood on my truck ,so i straddled two lanes thank god nobody was outside me. :unamused:

Coudn,t you have moved in to lane 2 ,not having a go just asking like,i sat on hard shoulder m6 a few weeks ago and felt like every hgv was trying to take my â– â– â– â– â– â– â–  mirror off !!

Had a puddle jump 6.5t Iveco broken down, recovery monkey winched it up on the steering arm, bent it like a banana, wtf! idiot.

I noticed it when it was winched off & thankfully I took pics & eventually I got 'em to pay for it, as it wasn’t a cheap part to replace.

The recovery driver who picked me up last week does it part time , He’s full time job is a Farmer :open_mouth:

No brain No pain :open_mouth:

I used to work with a couple of well established recovery companies in the Cotswolds and Oxfordshire area. All their drivers were very safety conscious and were all very clued up with winch and hiab recovery techniques.

I think not requiring recovery companies to have an operators licence is a missed opportunity, certainly for professionalising those operators who essentially jump in a beavertail and set up with out any knowledge or training.

el_presidente:
I used to work with a couple of well established recovery companies in the Cotswolds and Oxfordshire area. All their drivers were very safety conscious and were all very clued up with winch and hiab recovery techniques.

I think not requiring recovery companies to have an operators licence is a missed opportunity, certainly for professionalising those operators who essentially jump in a beavertail and set up with out any knowledge or training.

Yes See so many 3.5t beavertails running round most likely overweight carrying big heavy cars like a Discovery, E Class, Grand Voyager.

I’m a recovery driver for a large(ish) firm don’t really do cars all commercials and trucks.
Most larger firms send there blokes on an IVR course which gives them the safest way to approach a scene, park, exit the cab etc etc. Problem is this course ain’t must do.
The amount of times I see guys exiting the drivers side (must say it ain’t just recovery blokes, general truckers, highways etc) is shocking.

If one has a good view ahead and plenty of time and room to move over a lane to be safe and save any hassle, can’t see the problem in it, all part of being the better driver, plus everyone gets to go home safe!

Mick M

If nobody was in lane 2 that’s where I would have moved to before reaching the recovery truck, it’s just rude not to.

maestegboy:

I think you are the â– â– â– â– â– â– â–  bonehead. If lane 2 was empty you should have moved over as soon as you saw the vehicle on the hard shoulder. Cockwomble.

I aim to straddle lanes 1 and 2 when approaching anything on the hard shoulder. I don’t move all the way over, because of the risk of a bonehead car driver screaming up lane one inside me…

extrucker:
It wasn’t the one on the M6 at Shap that has been hit was it?

Wasn’t this accident was it?
(taken from another forum)

I know many of you on here will know Paul Holroyd.
Owner of Takoda campsite @ Kirkby Stephen.
Last Sunday he was doing his job as a Highways agency officer protecting people on the M6 when an out of control car hit him and his colleague at the scene of an accident.
Paul is now in hospital with serious injuries, his colleague was killed.

The Sarge:
I aim to straddle lanes 1 and 2 when approaching anything on the hard shoulder. I don’t move all the way over, because of the risk of a bonehead car driver screaming up lane one inside me…

I’ve always moved into lane 2 so anyone behind can also see what’s happening on the hard shoulder ahead, I’ll lookout for people trying to get past on the inside though and will move part way back over and straddle both lanes if necessary.

extrucker:
It wasn’t the one on the M6 at Shap that has been hit was it? Some do seem oblivious but the experienced ones know better!!

Id say this poster has the nail hit squarely on the head. I used to drive wreckers, and a near miss or two tends to make you sharpen up your act!