Recovery drivers - a bit of space, please

I know this post only applies to some HGV drivers so can I have a quick word you please?
I spend a fair bit of my typical working day on the M25 or M11, usually on the hard shoulder picking up breakdowns. Perhaps you can do me and my workmates a bit of a favour.

We know the majority of car drivers will flash past us without a second’s thought, that’s just the way it is. It makes life ‘interesting’ but goes with the job. The majority of HGV drivers will, at least, try to move a little to the right.

When you see a recovery truck on the hard shoulder, please give us some extra space if you can. Moving into the next lane would be great but even an extra foot or two of room is appreciated. If you cannot move over, please consider slowing down a bit.

Just think for a moment how you would feel on the offside of a recovery truck, working with ratchet straps whilst big lumps of metal whip past at 50+ mph a couple of feet away (and sometimes even less). The suction caused by a passing HGV has often left me hanging onto the side of my truck. Trust me on this; it can be an instant cure for constipation.

Not a moan, no mention of ‘children’, ‘cyclists’ or ‘thundering juggernauts’ just a request for a bit of consideration from those of you who haven’t really considered it yet.

Thanks for your time lads and lasses.

No mater whether I’m in a car or a lorry I move over as far as I can at the first sign of a recovery vehicle on the hard shoulder, if I can get into lane two I will if not I slow down a bit especially if people appear to be working in the area.

Having said that I’ll try to move over whoever is on the hard shoulder, but I do give more consideration to recovery workers, road maintenance workers and emergency vehicles.

As much as I dislike them I’ll even move over for the police when they’re on the hard shoulder :open_mouth: (move over to the hard shoulder that is :laughing: )

It actually ■■■■■■ me off when I see lorry drivers show no consideration to people on the hard shoulder, we should all have a better, dare I say more professional, attitude towards people working or stuck on the hard shoulder, but I’m afraid it’s not always the case :frowning:

I work nights , and always try to move to lane two for anything on the hard shoulder… cars, bikes, recovery , emergency services, even the odd cyclist and pedestrian… oh, and even those high risk deer that the matrix signs have been going on about for the last 2 weeks…, ( have you seen them ■■? )
I’ve done recovery work for light and heavy so you definitely have my sympathy and respect…

Nothing unreasonable in your request OnlyAlan.

I hope you stay safe and your post registers with
the ones who don’t move over.

Great Post.
When its safe to do so its good practice to move into lane 2 when there is activity on the hard shoulder, we should all be trying to do this.
If its dark and the motorways are very quite a couple of blinks on the hazard lights whilst passing can trigger those behind in the distance into reacting in a similar manner or just switching on to the danger.

Careful though in case some numpty deceides to to try and fly up the inside making the danger worse.

Given the chance I’m straight into lane 2, for my benefit just as much as theirs.

I reckon that a lot of drivers hav’nt been broken down on the hard shoulder.
When you’ve been waiting for 3 hours & then got out to help the tyre fitter change a O/S super single or stood watching these Breakdown Boys hook you up then ■■■■ around unbolting the propshaft & connecting up the light boards you’ll find out what it’s like. Just have a think about that when you’re all tucked up in your nice sealed air conditioned or heated cab, you don’t realise how Menacing a 44 ton Artic is, when it’s only inches away doing 56mph.

tachograph:
…As much as I dislike them I’ll even move over for the police when they’re on the hard shoulder :open_mouth: (move over to the hard shoulder that is :laughing: )…(

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

yep fully agree, must have balls of steel working at the side of motorways tbh.

on another note i was traveling on the A38 near lichfield and as if the lay-by’s on that road aren’t close enough to the live lane there was a numpty hanging off his mirror cleaning it and his side window. some people just can’t be helped.

martinviking:
I reckon that a lot of drivers hav’nt been broken down on the hard shoulder. When you’ve been waiting for 3 hours & then got out to help the tyre fitter change a O/S super single or stood watching these Breakdown Boys hook you up then ■■■■ around unbolting the propshaft & connecting up the light boards you’ll find out what it’s like. Just have a think about that when you’re all tucked up in your nice sealed air conditioned or heated cab, you don’t realise how Menacing a 44 ton Artic is, when it’s only inches away doing 56mph.

we used to have two super singles on our tilts twenty odd years ago, and had to change them ourselves! :grimacing: scary! :bulb: saw a foreigner the other day doing exactly this with his legs in the granny lane! :imp: :open_mouth: :unamused: :bulb: unbelievable :wink:

I move out when I can for any vehicle on the hard shoulder. Out to white line at the very least, and slow down. Don’t move right into lane two - I make sure I don’t leave enough room for a cage driver to try screaming up lane one inside me because he hasn’t seen/hasn’t thought… :angry:
Keep safe.

The Sarge:
I move out when I can for any vehicle on the hard shoulder. Out to white line at the very least, and slow down. Don’t move right into lane two - I make sure I don’t leave enough room for a cage driver to try screaming up lane one inside me because he hasn’t seen/hasn’t thought… :angry:
Keep safe.

This.

The Sarge:
Keep safe.

This too.
I’ve had a cage driver screaming up lane one inside me cos I’d moved into lane two of three :astonished: