READ a Family in Transport

Stanfield:
Richard Read D reg Atki 8 wheel tipper ( permission given by Bob Hobbs to add photo)

Hi Stanfield , super shot i did not realise that Read operated Atkinsons , regards Keith

Keith, Albions, Leyland Dodge,AEC and even a Volvo tractor unit was in use when I worked there. :laughing:

A couple more from transportphotos.com/road/photos
This Leyland looks like it was being used as yard shunter
CX00976-20.jpg
F reg AEC Mammouth Major.

A very sad day today,Richard Reads have decided to cease trading end of March.

Auction on 6th April,

Here’s a curious thing! I have scoured internet, books and my archives for period ‘70s Richard Read units pulling tilts. I can find plenty pulling rental tilts and even Eric Vick and Vijore tilts but none in Richard Read livery. I can find them pulling Richard Read fridges; and of course domestic Richard Read flats and bulkers. Are there any 40’ RR tilt pics out there? Did they actually have any?

Ro

The “R” in E.R.F. stands for Richard and little was known that Richard Read was a genuine Mr. ERF, R.I.P.

I wasn’t aware of this thread so a few photos from a Flickr buddy thanks to SCP.
Oily

ERF-NGC-European:
I’ll try again.

Here’s a curious thing! I have scoured internet, books and my archives for period ‘70s Richard Read units pulling tilts. I can find plenty pulling rental tilts and even Eric Vick and Vijore tilts but none in Richard Read livery. I can find them pulling Richard Read fridges; and of course domestic Richard Read flats and bulkers. Are there any 40’ RR tilt pics out there? Did they actually have any?

Ro

With reference to my post, the only Richard Read 12m tilts I can find are these two low-height ones. They appear to be Read’s own, as the trailer numbers bear their distinctive RR lettering, but the sheets are unsignwritten.

7MW close up 31.jpg

Mmm… perhaps they relied on rental trailers then:

Photos taken from the superb book by Paul Heaton (Road Transport The Read Family) an amazing story of a family
generation dedicated to Road Transport.
THE READ FAMILY

Henry(Harry)Read-Longhope

John Read-Oldham

George Read-Mitcheldean

Frederick Read-Ross on Wye

Ivor Read-Longhope

Richard Read-Longhope

Harold Read-Longhope

David A Read-Taynton

George M Read-Mitcheldean

Phillip H Read-Longhope

David H Read-Cinderford

Stanfield, nice info there about the READ family. A few years ago I tried to get hold of a book by Paul Heaton titled Steel Hauliers of Gwent or (monmouthshire). Do you know if it still available, if you have a copy is there any pics of Cyril Williams of Brynmawr and their Guy units you could post.

Cheers Paul

Paul John:
Stanfield, nice info there about the READ family. A few years ago I tried to get hold of a book by Paul Heaton titled Steel Hauliers of Gwent or (monmouthshire). Do you know if it still available, if you have a copy is there any pics of Cyril Williams of Brynmawr and their Guy units you could post.

Cheers Paul

I have a book called Road Transport Gwent by Paul Heaton is that the one you mean, there are nine pages in it about Cyril Williams lorries 29 black and white photos. You can get it on Amazon, see link below. John

amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_nos … &x=13&y=15

flatman001:

Paul John:

Cheers Paul

I have a book called Road Transport Gwent by Paul Heaton is that the one you mean, there are nine pages in it about Cyril Williams lorries 29 black and white photos. You can get it on Amazon, see link below. John

amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_nos … &x=13&y=15

flatman001, thats the one. Thankyou for the link.
regards Paul

Stanfield:
Photos taken from the superb book by Paul Heaton (Road Transport The Read Family) an amazing story of a family
generation dedicated to Road Transport.
THE READ FAMILY

Henry(Harry)Read-Longhope

John Read-Oldham

George Read-Mitcheldean

Frederick Read-Ross on Wye

Ivor Read-Longhope

Richard Read-Longhope

Harold Read-Longhope

David A Read-Taynton

George M Read-Mitcheldean

Phillip H Read-Longhope

David H Read-Cinderford

Hiya Stanfield how about a family tree of the Read dynasty were they all friends as well as relatives? I’m intreagued honestly I didn’t realise there was so many of them involved in transport with Richard Read being the the most known of them I think!! Bewick.

just picked up a couple of paul heatons titles at publishers book clearance for only 2.99-road transport gwent & road transport south east wales lots of pics billiant books-alan

The Reads are legends in that part of the country.

Hi Bewick.Apparently Henry (Harry) and Alice READ had 12 children,8 lads + 4 girls and all the lads took up a life for themselves in the transport industry and then there sons also in later years.
Going through to pictures in original thread.
The only one without a picture is Henry 1905 he was a rugby player and coach driver.
John 1903.Henry 1905.George 1907.Frederick 1915.Ivor 1916.Richard 1925.Harold 1927.David 1929.
Phillip H is the son of Harold
David H is the son of David
George M is the son of George.
Reading through the book at some time during there life they have all more or less worked for one another.
Even there cousin Tracy Read had her own vehicles.

JOHN.

Ex Harold Read ERF,now owned by Trucknet member daibootsy,seen here at The all Wales Truck Show,at Carmarthen Show ground last Sunday.

You can buy this one John :wink: .