Drivers mate 1st. day,1964

[attachment=0]image.jpg[/attachment][attachment=1]image.jpg[/attachment][attachment=3]image.jpg[/attachment]Struggling to find the best thread to post these on. This one’s seen better days I’m afraid. It served as a pigeon loft for many years although it appears to be abandoned now. The roller shutter door still functions perfectly.
Eddie.

Thanks Eddie for taking the time and trouble to post the pictures, anything " Ripponden " related is always of interest to me. Looking at them reminds me of one lunch time back in 1965 when I had cause to regret those rounded top edges on the bodies. At that time about 6 or so of our Manchester lorries used to use a café on Hyde Road, and we all parked on the big car park opposite Belle Vue pleasure park and zoo. Anyway it’s a red hot day and I’m up on top of the van body doing a bit of sun bathing. Nothing wrong with that, except one of the other mates, encouraged at first by his driver, then later by all the other drivers and mates, decides to take the van I’m on top of, for a flat out spin round and round the potholed car park :open_mouth: :laughing: . So I’m flat on my back, bouncing up in the air and sliding about all over with nothing to get hold of !! Finally slipped off the front down on to the cab roof, safely holding on to the head board. They all stopped laughing and cheering now I had reached comparative safety!! I of coarse pretended it was no big deal ( I was after all a tough 16 year old :blush: ) , but while I was up there I thought my time was up !!
Regards. John.

Thanks for your memories ‘old67’, also thanks Eddie, this is a great thread that I hadn’t read before.

Ian Burrow lent me the Harold Bridges book some time ago and I bought it for my brother last Christmas.

It’s odd how good transport firms go on for years, then they are sold to new management who know better and manage by interference. The firm then collapses within a couple of years!

John.

Quite agree with you John. The old hauliers were lorry men, with a good business head on them. These days accountants are running the businesses, with no knowledge of how the haulage world is built upon. They don’t bother about employees or the customers.

A lot of the big logistics firms are headed by these people, who have no people skills, which usually brings it all to a sad end.

Cheers Dave.

Quite agree with you regarding an old established company being bought out and run into the ground by asset stripers who are only interested in selling off slices of the company and couldn’t care less about putting people out of work, A one was a prime example who were cast adrift by some low lifes !!!

image.jpgA few more ’ district ’ bodies in the background in this one. What’s the story with Evancrest on the side John ? The one that I owned had that on it as well. Incidentally, this photo was taken around about 1980 and these bodies no longer exist. Eddie.

Eddie Heaton:
0A few more ’ district ’ bodies in the background in this one. What’s the story with Evancrest on the side John ? The one that I owned had that on it as well. Incidentally, this photo was taken around about 1980 and these bodies no longer exist. Eddie.

I remember Evancrest, a parcel company with 3 or 4 depots in the 70s, they had 1 in Bradford and they had a few old Ripponden Albions in there fleet, was taken over by Inter County Express which as we all know became TNT. Evancrest had a very mixed fleet of box vans and also a some Atkis and ERF tractor units

atlas man:

Eddie Heaton:
0A few more ’ district ’ bodies in the background in this one. What’s the story with Evancrest on the side John ? The one that I owned had that on it as well. Incidentally, this photo was taken around about 1980 and these bodies no longer exist. Eddie.

I remember Evancrest, a parcel company with 3 or 4 depots in the 70s, they had 1 in Bradford and they had a few old Ripponden Albions in there fleet, was taken over by Inter County Express which as we all know became TNT. Evancrest had a very mixed fleet of box vans and also a some Atkis and ERF tractor units

Thanks again Eddie. As atlas man says we sold several LAD cabbed Chieftains to the Lancashire depot of Evacrest when they set it up. It was near Haslingden, I think.We only sold complete vehicles if the body was deemed not fit to be used on anymore new chassis.
Regards. John.

So just left school,equipped with new boots and a few sandwiches in my pocket,I catch the first of 2 buses at 5 45am for the journey from Illingworth near Halifax, to Ripponden.Ripponden & District was a huge garage and loading bay,where about 70 Albions and Commer 13 tonners with van bodies were all parked inside.
There was a hugh pile of mixed goods at the back of each van to be loaded by the driver and mate.The deck forman too me over to my driver,Neville"TINY". He says “dont just stand there get a sack cart” and with about 60 delivery notes in a bulldog clip starts climbing all over the huge pile of crates,boxes,rolls of cloth,parcels,45gall.drums,castings,carpets,long bundles of steel,bikes,mill skips,and lots of other stuff.
Its my job to wheel / carry it all and stack it up to the roof front to back.From starting work at 7am it took about an hour to load.Tiny says he going to the canteen for his breakfast,and as its Monday I would have to fill the Albion up with hot water!!!. I should tell you now that Ripponden didnt use antifreeze,because the lorries were either working or in the heated garage/warehouse overnight,except at weekends,and the mechanics drained the water out of every lorry on friday night!!!
One of the other mates showed “the new lad"how to close the taps,one down the sie of the block,and one on the radiator.I the had to do battle with 60 or so other mates for the dozen or so watering can available.I soon realised there was a pecking order,but I managed to get done and get to the canteen
In the canteen I met “Dolly-one knife”,who,standing behind a big pile of sliced bread and 2 big bowls said"hurry up lad,pint or half,drip or jam?”.I Got a pint of tea and sat down.Just stated to unwrap my sandwiches,when I get a nudge from Tiny,he says"no time for that lad,get thi sen down t’ van,we’re off,thar latter frame the sen next time".
It was like a scene from hell with all them engines firing up inside the garage.As a young lad I was a bit dissapointed to be in an old Albion as I hoped to be in one of the new LAD cabs.
Anyway we set off over the moors towards Oldham,the deafening sound of the engine,the draught from the floor blowing the smoke fromTinys full stength about,and me wondering what the rest of the day would bring…To be continued,or not!!!
Regards,John.

Sounds a familiar tale for those times,lets have some more John.
Cheers Dave.

Bring it on John.

Definitly to be continued, those Rippendon motors were so distinctive. Anyone who tramped the yorks/lancs area recognised them. Don’t stop 'cos even if its ■■■■■■■■ it’s magic!!! MORE.

Great story of course we want more. I have just put down a few memories of the 70’s as a C&D driver, but remember the first day I was given some young blood as a mate, it was a cruel ritual, but we turned them into men :stuck_out_tongue:

I know I have put this on before but know harm in showing it again I dont think.Would this have been there John in 1964 when you started?
scan0009.jpg

Oh yes, more please :slight_smile:

Thanks for the kind comments lads.The Albion I was on for the first day was like this one:
Anyway, we get to the top of Windy Hill and it all goes quiet as Tiny casually knocks it "out of stick"and we rapidly gather speed down the other side towards Denshaw,all I could hear was the tyres howling and the wind rushing past!!.Tiny spots me trying to look at the speedo,he laughs and says with a quivering voice(because he was gripping the shaking steering wheel)“dont fret lad,we dont 'ave to stop at the bottom! He was right,we rolled through Denshaw crossroads,and he didn’t snick it back in to gear till we were almost at the top of Grains Bar.
When we got to our first drop,I learned my 1st lesson,mates were to exit the cab BEFORE the lorry stopped,so when your feet stopped running you were level with the back and could drop the tailboard.We delivered to many shops,factories,schools and it seemed to me all the mills in Delph,Uppermill,Greenfield,Mossley,Staleybridge & Ashton-u-Lyne,getting rid of about 40 drops,when we stopped for dinner at “Syds Cafe” in Stamford Square in Ashton.I Was knackered,the worst bit so far was having a 1cwt.sack of water treatment powder(used in the water for steam boilers at the mills)dropped on my back,staggering like I was drunk all over the place,to the laughter of both Tiny & the boilerman.
The rest of the drops were mainly in Droylesden,Clayton,Openshaw & Gt.Ancoats
We did a drop in Sharnaware in Droylesden.When we were going back to the cab there were delivery notes blowing out of the cab window and around the yard!!! Tiny shouted “pick the(ZB) things up you dozy(ZB). Got back in the cab,” count 'em"says Tiny.,you checked 68(or whatever the exact number was)notes out this morning,they had better all be there. i start counting not daring to look at Tiny,sure enough there’s a few missing,he reaches across the cab and gives me a slap at the back of my head.I said I was sorry,but I Thought all the notes were tightly in the bulldog clip.He tells me not to think,I have nothing to think with!,I’m just his donkey,and know nowt. Not a lot you can say to that !!!.
Later on Tiny is looking for a new drop, a shop on Gt.Ancoats St.,he cant 'see it,and asks the bloke at the next drop in he knows where it is.I pipes up " I know where it is,I saw it next to so and so”.BIG mistake,got my second slap ta the back of my head.!!! Deserved it I suppose,but didn’t do owt like it again.
The last of the drops off for about 2pm,we ring in for any extra collections to add to the list of daily collections we have.We collect many various size parcels & rolls of textiles,trays of paint ,drums of dye,drums of chemicals,castings,bales of greycloth,cartons of elec. goods sacks of pipe fittings etc etc.The last collection cardboard drums of glue from "Gloy"at Failsworth would not fit in the van so we put the tailboard flat on the chains and loaded them on to this,tied the sheet down and off to the cafe at Waterhead Oldham.
We had 13 vans on the Manchester area every day,and they all met up at the cafe between about 5 30pm to 6 30. I had my chips & gravy,and watched some of the older mates playing on the pinball machine.About 7 00pm,one of the lads shouts " come on he’s going"as he spots one of the drivers heading for the door.It seemed like all hell was let loose as all the drivers and mates headed for the door.I looked over at Tiny,who was sitting down,and he waved me over(the mates didn’t sit with the drivers) and said "we’ll let them silly (ZBs) go,they can race each other back to Ripponden if they want.
On the slow ride over the moors we had a good chat,he seemed a different bloke now the work was done.I cheered up a bit by the time we turned up the steep rise into the yard,the old Albion creaking and leaning well over with the weight of a full tailboard load.I checked the notes back into the office(Tiny had said on the way back he would explain about the missing ones) and went off to catch the first of my 2 buses home. My mam asked if I had enjoyed my first day at work,and you know despite aching all over and getting belted twice,I think I did…
Regards John.

Stanfield:
I know I have put this on before but know harm in showing it again I dont think.Would this have been there John in 1964 when you started?

Hi John.
the Foden in your photo was at Ripponden in '64 when I started.I was new in 1960 and was a flat used to collect each day a full load from Shell Oils in Trafford Park. It was coverted by our mechanics in 1966 to replace the previous Atkinson breakdown.There’s a sad story to this lorry.As Tiny and me were climing out of Denshaw towards Ripponden one evening,the Foden, with a full load, was stopped half way up Windy Hill.and one of our other vans in front.Jimmy Booth,was in the passenger seat of the Foden,and said he had stopped because he felt a bit rough.Me and the other mate ran to the Rams Head pub at the top of the hill to ring for an ambulance.By the time we got back,poor old Jimmy had passed away.We found out later it was a heart attack.
On a lighter note heres a picture of the breakdown in our workshops,it was still working in 1997 when I left.Plus a couple of old photos.
regards John

A smashing tale yung un :stuck_out_tongue:

Old 67

Brilliant John :smiley: , thanks for taking the time to share it with us, we can’t wait for day two :wink: .

Great stuff guys!

I remember my first day as a “drivers mate”. The driver was as blind as a bat, 74 with “milkbottle bottom” lenses in his glasses, I was 16, fresh from school and looking forward to my career as a “trainee driver” on that government scheme of the very early '80’s.We’d left Eastbourne along the A27, loaded with china and glass in a clapped out 10 tonne TK Bedford boxvan. He decided it had more horsepower overnight than it had originally been supplied with and tried to overtake a tractor/trailer on the staight bit at Firle. He hadn’t noticed the big green Southdown bus coming the other way, which was forced to hit the grass! I was preparing to have my career ended along with my teenage years when we passed each other, smashed mirrors and he carried on as if nothing had happened. I never said a word and never did! He was a bloody danger on the road. We had a few knocks and near misses and he was still driving when I left for better things (after being promised all and given nothing) and I heard he drove until he was nearly 80. You live and learn eh?

Regards,

Mark.