Drivers mate 1st. day,1964

mushroomman:
Brilliant John :smiley: , thanks for taking the time to share it with us, we can’t wait for day two :wink: .

Great reading John! describes in fine detail what life was like at a proper carrier!! I suppose Bridges of Preston would be the equivalent outfit on this side of the Pennines and no doubt you came into contact with them around east lancs and Manchester.Cheers Bewick.

brookie:
Great stuff guys!

I remember my first day as a “drivers mate”. The driver was as blind as a bat, 74 with “milkbottle bottom” lenses in his glasses, I was 16, fresh from school and looking forward to my career as a “trainee driver” on that government scheme of the very early '80’s.We’d left Eastbourne along the A27, loaded with china and glass in a clapped out 10 tonne TK Bedford boxvan. He decided it had more horsepower overnight than it had originally been supplied with and tried to overtake a tractor/trailer on the staight bit at Firle. He hadn’t noticed the big green Southdown bus coming the other way, which was forced to hit the grass! I was preparing to have my career ended along with my teenage years when we passed each other, smashed mirrors and he carried on as if nothing had happened. I never said a word and never did! He was a bloody danger on the road. We had a few knocks and near misses and he was still driving when I left for better things (after being promised all and given nothing) and I heard he drove until he was nearly 80. You live and learn eh?

Regards,

Mark.

That sounds just like that Ronny Barker character Clarence the optically challenged removal man. Ps that was IMO really funny, I’ve got the video somewhere at home. regards kevmac47

Bewick:

mushroomman:
Brilliant John :smiley: , thanks for taking the time to share it with us, we can’t wait for day two :wink: .

Great reading John! describes in fine detail what life was like at a proper carrier!! I suppose Bridges of Preston would be the equivalent outfit on this side of the Pennines and no doubt you came into contact with them around east lancs and Manchester.Cheers Bewick.

Thanks Dennis,you are right about Bridges,a lot of friendly rivalry between the mates,in the '60s,who had the the smartest cab etc. Both co’s ran Albions,but they had a fair few Bedford TK s,and because of the "modern"cab layout the mates on these thought they were the “bees knees”
Both companys tried to collect only goods for delivery in their own area,but we gave Bridges stuff for N.lancs,■■■■■■■ etc,and they gave us stuff for E.Yorks. Two great family firms sadly long gone.
Regards John.

old 67:

Bewick:

mushroomman:

Thanks Dennis,you are right about Bridges,a lot of friendly rivalry between the mates,in the '60s,who had the the smartest cab etc. Both co’s ran Albions,but they had a fair few Bedford TK s,and because of the "modern"cab layout the mates on these thought they were the “bees knees”
Both companys tried to collect only goods for delivery in their own area,but we gave Bridges stuff for N.lancs,■■■■■■■ etc,and they gave us stuff for E.Yorks. Two great family firms sadly long gone.
Regards John.

Maybe you know John but old man Bridges wrote a book about the firm and how he started right up to the time he sold up to Forth Caledonian.It’s a great read but I think you’ll only find it now in 2nd hand book shops and car boots.I managed to get hold of a “dog eared” copy.He was quite a man of “principal” and only stuck to his own N/west area and as you say they swapped traffic with other carriers and didn’t poach work outside their area! he was a true gentleman by all accounts! Cheers Dennis.

Got to agree, brilliant thread.
First day 1966. Sound, sight and smell never to be forgotten.
Ten ex NCB Thorneycroft all parked in the loading bay. Only inches between them. Some drivers climb over the backs of other part loaded lorries to get to their own. Then it happened, all firing up at the same time, what a sound.
The sight of the exhaust smoke, a mixture of white, blue and black, no wander it was allways foggy :laughing: :laughing: , and then the smell, the overwhelming smell of EasyStart and this was in July :neutral_face:

Ray

kevmac47:

brookie:
Great stuff guys!

I remember my first day as a “drivers mate”. The driver was as blind as a bat, 74 with “milkbottle bottom” lenses in his glasses, I was 16, fresh from school and looking forward to my career as a “trainee driver” on that government scheme of the very early '80’s.We’d left Eastbourne along the A27, loaded with china and glass in a clapped out 10 tonne TK Bedford boxvan. He decided it had more horsepower overnight than it had originally been supplied with and tried to overtake a tractor/trailer on the staight bit at Firle. He hadn’t noticed the big green Southdown bus coming the other way, which was forced to hit the grass! I was preparing to have my career ended along with my teenage years when we passed each other, smashed mirrors and he carried on as if nothing had happened. I never said a word and never did! He was a bloody danger on the road. We had a few knocks and near misses and he was still driving when I left for better things (after being promised all and given nothing) and I heard he drove until he was nearly 80. You live and learn eh?

Regards,

Mark.

That sounds just like that Ronny Barker character Clarence the optically challenged removal man. Ps that was IMO really funny, I’ve got the video somewhere at home. regards kevmac47

He was just like him… but not funny in the slightest… and absolutely no sense of humour!

As you might have guessed,Dennis, I’ve got Harold Bridges book,but it was kind of you to mention it.The similarities between the two companies were many. John Hirst,or “Young John” as he was known,the owner of Ripponden,was also a true gent.There was a lot of profit to be made in the mid 60s,which he shared with his workers in the form of a Christmas bonus. The highest we got was 6 weeks extra pay in 1966.He didn’t sit in his ivory tower,but could be found in the garage from 7 00 am every day It was always 1st name terms,and even a new mate like me could approach him and he would speak to you with respect.
Some of the bad winters we had back then it would take us till the early hours to get back across the Pennines,even with our own two ploughs trying to keep the moors open,no M62 of course.He would be out all night, either with one of the plough drivers or in his Land Rover,till all his drivers were home.They don’t make em like that any more
Regards John

I am going to look out for that book, it sounds great.

Long before United Carriers bought Ripponden and District Motors, our local depot was called Wilmott Motors and was a typical 1960 carrier, probably much like yours. Wilmotts was taken over by United Carriers around the time the founders son was killed in a car crash. That must have been around 1967.

He was driving an E Type jaguar near Howden and the corner he crashed became known as Eddy Wilmott corner, even to people who had never heard of the company, it is probably still known locally as that :open_mouth:

The old Wilmott garage was taken over by Majestic Garages and the heavier transport went to LEP Transport in Goole while the parcel depot grew.

What a great thread this is turning into. Thanks for starting it off

old 67:
As you might have guessed,Dennis, I’ve got Harold Bridges book,but it was kind of you to mention it.The similarities between the two companies were many. John Hirst,or “Young John” as he was known,the owner of Ripponden,was also a true gent.There was a lot of profit to be made in the mid 60s,which he shared with his workers in the form of a Christmas bonus. The highest we got was 6 weeks extra pay in 1966.He didn’t sit in his ivory tower,but could be found in the garage from 7 00 am every day It was always 1st name terms,and even a new mate like me could approach him and he would speak to you with respect.
Some of the bad winters we had back then it would take us till the early hours to get back across the Pennines,even with our own two ploughs trying to keep the moors open,no M62 of course.He would be out all night, either with one of the plough drivers or in his Land Rover,till all his drivers were home.They don’t make em like that any more
Regards John

Here’s a shot you might appreciate John,it’s my Great Grandad and Great uncle John stood in fron’t of one of their Foden steamers the lettering on the dropside tells you what they did!!! It looks like it had a centre bar running the length of the body for the tarp.I believe they ran quite a busy carrier business to and from Newcastle,as well as furniture removals.The old man sold out to the Railway after John came home from WW1 an invalid and wasn’t able to to carry on and run the firm.

Wheel Nut:
I am going to look out for that book, it sounds great.

Long before United Carriers bought Ripponden and District Motors, our local depot was called Wilmott Motors and was a typical 1960 carrier, probably much like yours. Wilmotts was taken over by United Carriers around the time the founders son was killed in a car crash. That must have been around 1967.

He was driving an E Type jaguar near Howden and the corner he crashed became known as Eddy Wilmott corner, even to people who had never heard of the company, it is probably still known locally as that :open_mouth:

The old Wilmott garage was taken over by Majestic Garages and the heavier transport went to LEP Transport in Goole while the parcel depot grew.

What a great thread this is turning into. Thanks for starting it off

Question–were those R & D tops on the body one piece fibreglass affairs? I often used to wonder ,now I might find out! Cheers Dennis.

old 67:
0Thanks for the kind comments lads.The Albion I was on for the first day was like this one:
Anyway, we get to the top of Windy Hill and it all goes quiet as Tiny casually knocks it "out of stick"and we rapidly gather speed down the other side towards Denshaw,all I could hear was the tyres howling and the wind rushing past!!.Tiny spots me trying to look at the speedo,he laughs and says with a quivering voice(because he was gripping the shaking steering wheel)“dont fret lad,we dont 'ave to stop at the bottom! He was right,we rolled through Denshaw crossroads,and he didn’t snick it back in to gear till we were almost at the top of Grains Bar.
When we got to our first drop,I learned my 1st lesson,mates were to exit the cab BEFORE the lorry stopped,so when your feet stopped running you were level with the back and could drop the tailboard.We delivered to many shops,factories,schools and it seemed to me all the mills in Delph,Uppermill,Greenfield,Mossley,Staleybridge & Ashton-u-Lyne,getting rid of about 40 drops,when we stopped for dinner at “Syds Cafe” in Stamford Square in Ashton.I Was knackered,the worst bit so far was having a 1cwt.sack of water treatment powder(used in the water for steam boilers at the mills)dropped on my back,staggering like I was drunk all over the place,to the laughter of both Tiny & the boilerman.
The rest of the drops were mainly in Droylesden,Clayton,Openshaw & Gt.Ancoats
We did a drop in Sharnaware in Droylesden.When we were going back to the cab there were delivery notes blowing out of the cab window and around the yard!!! Tiny shouted “pick the(ZB) things up you dozy(ZB). Got back in the cab,” count 'em"says Tiny.,you checked 68(or whatever the exact number was)notes out this morning,they had better all be there. i start counting not daring to look at Tiny,sure enough there’s a few missing,he reaches across the cab and gives me a slap at the back of my head.I said I was sorry,but I Thought all the notes were tightly in the bulldog clip.He tells me not to think,I have nothing to think with!,I’m just his donkey,and know nowt. Not a lot you can say to that !!!.
Later on Tiny is looking for a new drop, a shop on Gt.Ancoats St.,he cant 'see it,and asks the bloke at the next drop in he knows where it is.I pipes up " I know where it is,I saw it next to so and so”.BIG mistake,got my second slap ta the back of my head.!!! Deserved it I suppose,but didn’t do owt like it again.
The last of the drops off for about 2pm,we ring in for any extra collections to add to the list of daily collections we have.We collect many various size parcels & rolls of textiles,trays of paint ,drums of dye,drums of chemicals,castings,bales of greycloth,cartons of elec. goods sacks of pipe fittings etc etc.The last collection cardboard drums of glue from "Gloy"at Failsworth would not fit in the van so we put the tailboard flat on the chains and loaded them on to this,tied the sheet down and off to the cafe at Waterhead Oldh
We had 13 vans on the Manchester area every day,and they all met up at the cafe between about 5 30pm to 6 30. I had my chips & gravy,and watched some of the older mates playing on the pinball machine.About 7 00pm,one of the lads shouts " come on he’s going"as he spots one of the drivers heading for the door.It seemed like all hell was let loose as all the drivers and mates headed for the door.I looked over at Tiny,who was sitting down,and he waved me over(the mates didn’t sit with the drivers) and said "we’ll let them silly (ZBs) go,they can race each other back to Ripponden if they want.
On the slow ride over the moors we had a good chat,he seemed a different bloke now the work was done.I cheered up a bit by the time we turned up the steep rise into the yard,the old Albion creaking and leaning ver with the weight of a full tailboard ad.I checked the notes back into the office(Tiny had said on the way back he would explain about the missing ones) and went off to catch the first of my 2 buses home. My mam asked if I had enjoyed my first day at work,and you know despite aching all over and getting belted twice,I think I did…
Regards John.

Hi John
I found it so interesting
It reminded me when i was very young water was drained out of our vans that were used on local work each night. Obviously if they were on long distance they used to have antifreeze. They were parked inside the garage and it was thought that leaving antifreeze in too long rotted the rubber pipes
Although wev never did any work like carriers I know the type of work you did as in Marmaduke Street Spennymoor there was also Oughton Carriers and also watson carriers moved from Bishop Auckland to green Lane Ind Est Spennymoor where we also builtn our new depot.
The nearest thing I suffered was at the age of about 8 to 9 going out with my dad delivering new furniture on behalf of furniture shops. Dad decided to brighten me up by telling me when we arrived on a street I had to count house numbers ahead so that I could tell him exactly which house to stop at, explaining that a vn lads job was to count ahead and be out of the van and open the back doors and tailboard before the driver had time to put the handbrake on. My mother went mad with him when she heard. . Also on the W.H.williams thread you can read of one of our customers of the 50’s who made furniture that demanded he got a tail board load ton ensure he got his moneys worth

Best wishes
Carl

Bewick:

old 67:

Bewick:

mushroomman:

Regards John.

Maybe you know John but old man Bridges wrote a book about the firm and how he started right up to the time he sold up to Forth Caledonian.It’s a great read but I think you’ll only find it now in 2nd hand book shops and car boots.I managed to get hold of a “dog eared” copy.He was quite a man of “principal” and only stuck to his own N/west area and as you say they swapped traffic with other carriers and didn’t poach work outside their area! he was a true gentleman by all accounts! Cheers Dennis.

Dennis think your mention of the Bridges book may have raised some interest and this book site has quite a few listed at reasonable prices.

abebooks.com/servlet/SearchR … =t&x=0&y=0

stravaiger:

Bewick:

old 67:

Bewick:

mushroomman:

Regards John.

Dennis think your mention of the Bridges book may have raised some interest and this book site has quite a few listed at reasonable prices.

abebooks.com/servlet/SearchR … =t&x=0&y=0

I just bought one this morning for 99p :stuck_out_tongue:

Evening, Dennis.
The Ripponden bodies did not change at all for decades.They were built in our own on site bodyshop by 4 chaps we refered to as “The Joiners”. They built an ash frame using "proper"joints,and steamed the wood to obtain the curves.The lower ,blue, was panelled out with laminated ply/fibreglass sheets The top,cream, section was panelled out with marine ply, then covered with many layers of fibreglass matting and resin.Each body would last about 20 years,so would be on 4 or five chassis before it was retired to one of the many local farmers fields.

Another one for you here JOHN this time a Bedford do you remember these.
Ripponden & District Bedford.jpgAnd a Then & Now photo.

And I would think this one would be before your time their. :slight_smile:
Early Ripponden wagon.jpgThis one has been restored and can be seen around the vintage shows
Ripponden Motors Guy Invincible 4.jpg

Hi John,nice picture of the “BIG BEDFORD” as I believe they were known.A bit before my time as it is advertising Rippondens coach fleet,which was sold off to Hebble Motors about 1957. They had a lot of Bedfords in the early days,one or two of the old guys (even older than me) told me they had a big fall out over something,and never bought a Bedford again.At its peak in the mid 60s,a new Albion or Commer chassis was delivered every 3 weeks.The old chassis were all snapped up by other firms, one big buyer was Caulfields Carriers in Liverpool.
Regards John.

old 67:
Hi John,nice picture of the “BIG BEDFORD” as I believe they were known.A bit before my time as it is advertising Rippondens coach fleet,which was sold off to Hebble Motors about 1957. They had a lot of Bedfords in the early days,one or two of the old guys (even older than me) told me they had a big fall out over something,and never bought a Bedford again.At its peak in the mid 60s,a new Albion or Commer chassis was delivered every 3 weeks.The old chassis were all snapped up by other firms, one big buyer was Caulfields Carriers in Liverpool.
Regards John.

I bet those BIG Bedfords were swines to jump in and out of umpteen times a day John!!! Dennis.

old 67:
0Evening, Dennis.
The Ripponden bodies did not change at all for decades.They were built in our own on site bodyshop by 4 chaps we refered to as “The Joiners”. They built an ash frame using "proper"joints,and steamed the wood to obtain the curves.The lower ,blue, was panelled out with laminated ply/fibreglass sheets The top,cream, section was panelled out with marine ply, then covered with many layers of fibreglass matting and resin.Each body would last about 20 years,so would be on 4 or five chassis before it was retired to one of the many local farmers fields.

Thanks for that John,I was thinking the bodies were less substantial and simpler than you describe,no wonder they lasted 20 years!!! Cheers Dennis.