READ a Family in Transport

Richard Read passed away today.RIP boss

leylandlover:
Richard Read passed away today.RIP boss

I’m sorry to hear that. I only met him very briefly to interview him last year for my ERF book. A man of real standing in transport. My thoughts go his family. I will raise a glass to him. Robert

It is with great sadness that the Read family announce the death of Mr. Richard Read, co-founder of Richard Read (Transport) Ltd,
A much loved Father, Grandfather and Great-Grandfather.
6.11.25 - 3.12.14.
R.I.P. Mr Read. Condolences to his family.

That’s sad- so soon after Mrs Read.
Yet another of those individuals in road transport who you imagine would always be around. He will be sadly missed, not only by his family and many friends, but by those who came into contact with him. As a young driver, he made a lasting impression on me, he was certainly someone I’ll never forget.
RIP, Richard. You were one in a million.
With respect, Casey.

Very sad a legend in the transport industry, R. I. P. Richard.

RIP Mr Richard Read

Forest businessman Richard Read, a well-known haulier from Longhope, has died at the age of 89.

Mr Read will be taken to his funeral on the back of a lorry in what has been described as a fitting tribute to a man who is “ERF through and through”.

Advertisement
The service will be held at All Saints Church, Longhope, on Thursday, December 18.

His family have been left sadden by the death of a much-loved father, grandfather and great-grandfather, which is believed to have been caused by an abdominal aneurysm. Mr Read’s family say they will “miss him dreadfully” and are “deeply touched” by the cards and messages of sympathy they have received. Kay Read, the wife of Richard Read Junior, said: “It is heartwarming to know he was respected by so many.”

Mr Read, who was one of 12 children, will be taken to the church on the back of an ERF 1, the first truck to be made by a manufacturer who the businessman has had a relationship since 1959.

In 1946, Mr Read made two decisions that would affect him for the rest of his life; to marry Amelia and to start his own business. Amelia died suddenly in July this year and Mr Read was lost without her. They had raised a family and built a business together and often joked they “never had a day without a crossed word”.

Richard was influenced by the success of his father who had been hauling since 1913 and on his return from wartime service with the Royal Navy, he gave up his driving job with his brother’s firm to build up a stake to launch his own transport business. Richard went in for sinking wells for water and his first lorry cost him £350.

In the first month of operation, he remembers handling 1,350 tons of stone to help build the Gloucester Ring Road.

Extra contracts soon followed and additional lorries were bought and shortly afterwards Richard bought his first new vehicle, a Bedford four-wheeler, registration number KFH 8.

It wasn’t until 1959 that the relationship between the ERF company and Richard Read came into being.

At that time Richard purchased his first ERF, registration TDG 689, and it was the first articulated tractor unit in the fleet. During the 1960’s, Richard and Amelia ran a fleet of 87 vehicles, an all time high for the company.

He built his first warehouse on his six-acre site at Longhope. Whether or not he knew it at the time, his decision effectively changed the course of direction for his companies in their future years.

During the 1980’s a further warehouse was built and additional space was rented.

In 1995, Richard, at last, was able to buy land at Cinderford; a 4.5 acre site and a 71,000sqft warehouse was built.

The business continues in the hands of his son Richard, his wife Kay and daughter Brenda.

A well attended funeral.I am so glad I met up with some old workmates.Shocked to see my photo on the Citizen online paper with one of Richards longest serving driver.John Cox

DEANB, a regular blogger on TNUK, has put these wonderful ERF pictures my way. They were all (19 of them) taken by a Richard Read driver named Dave Williams. Enjoy. Robert

More to come…

That all of them! Cheers, Robert :smiley:

Jim Allen? Did he used to drive at Merrin End?

I don’t think Jim was at Merrin End but I could be wrong.
When I was in my teens I was “friendly” with Jim’s cousin who lived next door to him, then we lost touch. The next time I met Jim was when I was persuaded to join the Wilderness Quarry crowd and Jim had just started as a Subbie for Young George. I don’t know what he had been doing in the intervening years but I suspect that he had been working with his dad in the building trade.
Jim would have been too young to have worked at Merrin End when you were there, I would have thought.

An auction is taking place tomorrow at Richard Reads 28/11/15 you can view everything on Malcom Harrison Web site.

Richard Read D reg Atki 8 wheel tipper ( permission given by Bob Hobbs to add photo)

I have used my spanners on that one :smiley: Look at those great big mirrors :open_mouth:

Mine was the same reg. as that when I went from Merrin End to the quarry. It was ex- Hanson’s with the usual downward slope to the rear sides.