Quitting smoking

hi all,
just wondering if anybody has some advice for me.i finally gave up the ciggies and i’m off them just about a month.
i was smoking up to about 30 a day sitting in my truck,but now i have gone cold turkey :open_mouth: i have been off sick with emergency stomach surgery for the last month and i am due to go back next month :smiley: :smiley: …but and its a BIG but…the thoughts of spending all that time in the truck without smoking is going to be hard.

has anybody got any advice for me to keep the mind off them■■?
…and i’ve been told by the doc to stay from gum as it will aggrevate the stomach…
thanks folks

buy some low dosage nicotine patches and if you feel the urge slap one of them on.

baz.snn:
hi all,
just wondering if anybody has some advice for me.i finally gave up the ciggies and i’m off them just about a month.
i was smoking up to about 30 a day sitting in my truck,but now i have gone cold turkey :open_mouth: i have been off sick with emergency stomach surgery for the last month and i am due to go back next month :smiley: :smiley: …but and its a BIG but…the thoughts of spending all that time in the truck without smoking is going to be hard.

has anybody got any advice for me to keep the mind off them■■?
…and i’ve been told by the doc to stay from gum as it will aggrevate the stomach…
thanks folks

Keep eating the turkey. I have been stopped totally since December and had cut right back for a year previously using patches. I honestly felt it was easier to just stop, and the no smoking ban in pubs has helped.

But, there is always one of them.

But. I have never felt worse in my life. My blood pressure is way up, I cannot breathe and I now have Chronic Asthma.

If the doctor gave me 6 months to live I would buy some cigs tomorrow.

Stopping smoking is easy ive done it loads of times…

Seriously thought there is only one way to stop and thats if you want to if you enjoy a ■■■ you wont stop dead simple.

I used Zyban to help me stop and it worked well with me.

oh i have eating the bones of that ■■■■■■ turkey. :angry:
i don’t want to use the patches,you are better off cold turkey.
i think the talking too i got off the surgeon kind of scared me a bit,so shock tactics are probably the way to go :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I have just given up by reading a book, sounds stupid but it works

Allan Carr , Easy Way

Try it, it really works.

I packed up nearly 2 years ago. Used patches on prescription from the doc (miles cheaper than buying them!).

The reason for stopping? I was always at the back when out with the mountain bike club (panting and gasping for breath), after I stopped, I was soon in the middle of the pack, then after a while I was towards the front!

The other reason is that I don’t fancy copping for a dose of cancer and dying a slow, cruddy and painful death! I want to see the kids grow up and be able to run around with them without hacking up great lumps of tar!

To be honest, I haven’t noticed it at all when driving…it only becomes an issue if you let it. The trick is to try and keep your thoughts and attention somewhere else…audio books, radio, CDs etc, before you know it you’ve “reached your destination” (just a little sat-nav joke!) and you won’t even have thought about bloody horrible ■■■■!

Good luck mate (and also with the surgery and stuff)…be strong (like me! :wink: ).

baz.snn:
oh i have eating the bones of that ■■■■■■ turkey. :angry:
i think the talking too i got off the surgeon kind of scared me a bit,so shock tactics are probably the way to go :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I fail to see how you are better off cold turkey.
I gave up 2 years ago using patches, and they come in different strengths, so if you are really struggling, slap a low dose patch on, how can this be a bad thing when the alternative is giving in and having a ■■■?

Beaker1976:
I have just given up by reading a book, sounds stupid but it works

Allan Carr , Easy Way

Try it, it really works.

i tried the books and i tried a hypnotist a good few years ago but that didn’t work at all.the hypnotist was the biggest waste of money ever.
i’m hoping this time i’ll be able to do it though.seems to be working so far.

as mad as this sounds,i think the withdrawal symptoms from the lack of driving the truck.i’m going mad stuck around the house. i cann’t wai to get back driving
my XF .if i knew how to put up a pic of it i would!!!

My brother in law and his wife were both heavy smsokers but went to the doctor to quit.
They were given tablets called CHANTIX and they both say it was dead easy. They have been off the ■■■■ now for over 8 months and neither have had any desire to light up.
Have a word with your GP if you are determined.
Chewing gum helps
Reading a book is also good
Take you laptop and fiddle with that
Or take a pad and pen and write something or drae
Anything to keep your mind and hands occupied.

Gurner:

baz.snn:
oh i have eating the bones of that [zb] turkey. :angry:

I fail to see how you are better off cold turkey.
I gave up 2 years ago using patches, and they come in different strengths, so if you are really struggling, slap a low dose patch on, how can this be a bad thing when the alternative is giving in and having a ■■■?

I dont think the way you choose to stop is important, it is the result. When I tried patches. I use to pull it off, stick it on the screen and light a ■■■ :open_mouth:

I found it easier to stop, total and no excuses, it was very difficult for 2 weeks now it just feels odd.

I know people who stopped 30 years ago, the urge is still there, although the thought of having to go outside when it is raining and you come back in smelling like a wet dog helps :slight_smile:

I’ve done it your way a couple of times, just stop dead, takes a lot of will power but works and I’d say it’s probably the best way for me.

I need to get away from my current job, it’s getting me down and times when I’m not driving, the ■■■ breaks help me to break the day up.

I think when I get a new job, in a proper truck all day - every day, I’ll find it easier because I can suffer by myself, no temptations (apart from when I stop for fuel / food) and no excuses hopefuly. At the moment it’s easy for me to say “god I’m having a bad day, I deserve a ■■■!”

Best of luck with it mate

get some good candy, sweets, mints anything to keep your mouth busy, as for your hands , well keep them on the wheel, and, when not driving , well, thats up to you what you do !!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink: :wink:

still off the smokes…thank God.it’s getting a lot easier now.
my 5year old twins are even keeping an eye on me :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: …they are great for me.gives me a bit more motivation.if i can get the girlfriend to quit that would be better.
back to work on sept.1st…oh i cann’t wait for it.

can someone tell me how to post some pictures on this.
i’m not too sure how to do it…thanks

baz.snn:
can someone tell me how to post some pictures on this.
i’m not too sure how to do it…thanks

Well done with the smokes :wink: :smiley: .
Post this as a question in feedback so the answer can be referenced by anyone. :wink:

I gave up the ■■■■ after 26 years…this was six weeks before i took my class 1 test…it`s now been just under five months and still no smoking but the weight is pilling on, i have put on a stone and a half but hopefully i will be able to shift it…

After trying to quit the weed loads of times i was determind to do it so i went to the docs and he prescribed me champix…and its done the trick so far....dont get me wrong i still like the smell of smoke but i could`nt imagine drawing it into my lungs again…

The real secret to packing in is really wanting to, not for some other reason like aught to, or via pressure by telly, other folks or law ect. I packed in over the last 37 years a few times, and it always failed after a while, and the last time is for 3 years now.

Why is this the easiest? its because for the first time I really wanted to and now im no longer jealous of people smoking a ■■■. The other times I went back to it because the truth was I never really wanted to pack in and was dead jealous when I saw somebody with a ■■■ on. People can even smoke round me and it dont make any difference at all. Good Luck.

The real secret to packing in is really wanting to, not for some other reason like aught to, or via pressure by telly, other folks or law ect. I packed in over the last 37 years a few times, and it always failed after a while, and the last time is for 3 years now.

Why is this the easiest? its because for the first time I really wanted to and now im no longer jealous of people smoking a ■■■. The other times I went back to it because the truth was I never really wanted to pack in and was dead jealous when I saw somebody with a ■■■ on. People can even smoke round me and it dont make any difference at all. Good Luck.[/qu

ote]

agree with all that, but no one’s mentioned the magic ingredient…
save the money you would have spent on cigs, in cash. After 6 months i’d saved £1000,{which i’ve still got as a reminder} also ask yourself why you’ve been lining the pockets of Mr Wills & Mr Gallagher for so long, that should make anyone angry enough to stop.
Good luck anyway, and well done so far[
[/quote]

Mothertrucker:
My brother in law and his wife were both heavy smsokers but went to the doctor to quit.
They were given tablets called CHANTIX and they both say it was dead easy. They have been off the ■■■■ now for over 8 months and neither have had any desire to light up.
Have a word with your GP if you are determined.
Chewing gum helps
Reading a book is also good
Take you laptop and fiddle with that
Or take a pad and pen and write something or drae
Anything to keep your mind and hands occupied.

I’ve started my course of tablets this morning, so lets hoping this works. (BEEN TOLD IT’S GOTTA WORK)

Another way I tried was the chewing gum and lozenges, they taste so effin disgusting that a wet ashtray would taste better.

Im still stopped, proud of myself and the girlfriend is very pleased. The wife doesnt give a toss :wink: