Peak District.

flishflunk:
Nice pics of E & F Beattie remember them well.
Had a coal yard and railway sidings on Bennett street Ardwick. Their garage was also on Bennett street although not in the same place. Seem to remember they had a right mix of Wagons.

Hi flishflunk.They ran quite a few Leyland and Albion six wheelers for coal movement from over yorkshire and also 4 wheeler Thames Traders which were used mainly for the movement of coke to the local foundrys and schools around manchester and the outskirts.

One for Bonkey … I think the article it was from said these were based in the Lancaster area.

Was it company policy that everyone carrying for Bulk Tippers had to be in these blue & red colours.

Was the ram on this trailer fitted inside the headboard … but where did they put the oil tank ?

Hi Tipit
Re the Tarmac pic.If it says it was taken around the lancaster area it could have been 1 of 2 Quarrys.1 Leapers Wood 2 Dunald Mill both were in the Carnforth Area.

I’m running short of more Buxton tippers, but here is another haulier from the past who used to carry bagged salt from Northwich.

Hello D/B and all you Buxton Tipper Men
A good firm to work for very very poor management though !!! I had three good years at this company, find your own work, please your self !!! and the boss was pretty happy (well at least most of the time !! (that was my opinion anyway) Glutton Bridge Transport was the dreaded name. I left a good firm in Stoke On Trent to work here I was offered a new wagon big mistake but made the best of a bad job.

Hope these are the kind of pictures your intereted in for old times sake !!!
Regards
John
See ya later

Yes they’re just the type of thing 3300John.

Some pictures from the past dont know much about them, Fancy handballing them cwt sacks on the Ripleys waggon painted in taylor frith livery.

These pictures are unique Dexydog, especially the Taylor Friths wagon, never seen any of theirs before.
Is Ripley painted on the wagon as the opperator somewhere ? Dove Holes quarry was always known as Taylor Friths in the 60’s.
Have you anymore old ones ?

Hi Tipit.
Ripleys came from chapel en le frith and their yard used to be where somersets are now, as far as i am aware they were bought out by ORMES in the 60`s. I think there livery was grey and when ORMES took them over thay carried on with the same colours. I believe they had a fair fleet comprising flats, possibly a tanker but i am not sure about tippers.
Has anybody got any more info!!!

Dexydog

Hi Dexydog,
Do you know anything of W.E. Beamans from Chinley, cream and green with a black oval name sticker on the doors. Their yard was next to the low bridge as you turned into the Hayfield Rd. I’ve been asking my dad about Ripley’s he remembers the name, but not what wagons they had, he was an o/d around there with Eldon untill 1983.

TIPIT:
These pictures are unique Dexydog, especially the Taylor Friths wagon, never seen any of theirs before.
Is Ripley painted on the wagon as the opperator somewhere ? Dove Holes quarry was always known as Taylor Friths in the 60’s.
Have you anymore old ones ?

Hi Tipit.
Few pics of some steam vehicles that used to roam the Peak District and beyond.

Dexydog

TIPIT:
Hi Dexydog,
Do you know anything of W.E. Beamans from Chinley, cream and green with a black oval name sticker on the doors. Their yard was next to the low bridge as you turned into the Hayfield Rd. I’ve been asking my dad about Ripley’s he remembers the name, but not what wagons they had, he was an o/d around there with Eldon untill 1983.

Hi Mate.
A workmate of mine . the erstwhile Mr Martin Bradley who knows a lot about these matters, reckons that WE Beaman was an aggregate merchant who did not operate their own vehicles, but Heyworths operated tippwrs in Beamans livery.
I dont know if info is correct but it is pheasable.

Dexydog

Hi Dexydog … It’s all starting to piece together now, you triggered it off with the name Heyworths. I must have been around 10 or 12 years old when I saw those cream wagons, and I’d forgotten the name Heyworths.
When my dad finished driving with Tommy Lamb’s and became an owner driver in 1969, W.E. Beamans were the aggregate merchant that supplied him with work before Eldon. Their office was in Longsight Manchester, before moving near Lancashire Hill at Reddish. I remember being puzzled at the time why the paperwork never went to a Chinley address. So that yard in Chinley must have belonged to Heyworths then, and they only put Beaman’s stickers on the cab doors.
As I remember they had three 4 wheelers, an ancient Seddon, an LAD Albion, and a new Dodge K1050.
I’m starting to wonder now … if those black oval stickers on the doors shown the Beaman name, with Heyworth’s signwritten on the front of the cabs ? this is where those old photos pay off isn’t it.
What do you know about S. Vernons, they look like they could have been what later became Sammy Longsons ? that Liverpool destination on the body must have been a regular run for a lot of the quarry lorries round there at that time. My dad says he remembers being told Ryan and Somerville use to take bags of lime from their quarry at Brierlow Bar to Liverpool docks on these old ERF’s.

TIPIT:
Hi Dexydog … It’s all starting to piece together now, you triggered it off with the name Heyworths. I must have been around 10 or 12 years old when I saw those cream wagons, and I’d forgotten the name Heyworths.
When my dad finished driving with Tommy Lamb’s and became an owner driver in 1969, W.E. Beamans were the aggregate merchant that supplied him with work before Eldon. Their office was in Longsight Manchester, before moving near Lancashire Hill at Reddish. I remember being puzzled at the time why the paperwork never went to a Chinley address. So that yard in Chinley must have belonged to Heyworths then, and they only put Beaman’s stickers on the cab doors.
As I remember they had three 4 wheelers, an ancient Seddon, an LAD Albion, and a new Dodge K1050.
I’m starting to wonder now … if those black oval stickers on the doors shown the Beaman name, with Heyworth’s signwritten on the front of the cabs ? this is where those old photos pay off isn’t it.
What do you know about S. Vernons, they look like they could have been what later became Sammy Longsons ? that Liverpool destination on the body must have been a regular run for a lot of the quarry lorries round there at that time. My dad says he remembers being told Ryan and Somerville use to take bags of lime from their quarry at Brierlow Bar to Liverpool docks on these old ERF’s.

Hi Tipit.
My Dad also was a owner driver in the early to mid 60`s, he worked for merricks who were also from chinley, he had a 4 wheeler/14ton LAD dodge with a perkins engine.He used to a member of the PERKINS Drivers club and we used to get a magazine through the post every month which i used to devour with interest (wish that i had kept them) I can remember when i went with him in the school hols and on saturdays seeing all the old firms such as lambs, heyworths ect that you have mentioned ,in the local quarries ie taylor friths at dove holes and Ben Bennets in stoney middleton, bet it was hard work running 4 loads a day into the manchester area from stoney middleton.

Happy Days.
Dexydog

TIPIT:

Hi Tipit.
My Dad also was a owner driver in the early to mid 60`s, he worked for merricks who were also from chinley, he had a 4 wheeler/14ton LAD dodge with a perkins engine.He used to a member of the PERKINS Drivers club and we used to get a magazine through the post every month which i used to devour with interest (wish that i had kept them) I can remember when i went with him in the school hols and on saturdays seeing all the old firms such as lambs, heyworths ect that you have mentioned ,in the local quarries ie taylor friths at dove holes and Ben Bennets in stoney middleton, bet it was hard work running 4 loads a day into the manchester area from stoney middleton.

Happy Days.
Dexydog

That’s a great old picture of Vernons’ Sentinel wagon and drag on Mam Tor.I thought I was doing well with an AEC MK3 8-legger going over there. :laughing:
Any photos of wagons on the A57 Snake Pass or A628 Woodhead would be much appreciated as well.

Found this whilst doing a bit of trawling.Eldon Hill Quarries Commer,I remember them well going up Froggatt Edge in the 50s.

wow look at that little Commer, I wish i had that in presivation. My uncle from nr Ashbourne ran 3 of them in the early sixty’s 3/4 wheelbase
on animal feeds. ts3’s they sounded awsom.
John

TIPIT:
I’m running short of more Buxton tippers, but here is another haulier from the past who used to carry bagged salt from Northwich.

Hi Paul,
Thats a classic British eight wheeler flatbed,quite rare even in the seventies. As you know the artics had taken over from them,but I always think the rigid flats looked good.
Cheers Dave.

Thanks for adding the old Commer of Eldon’s Chris, can you tell me what that colour scheme was ?
I never knew them before their yellow and black.