Peak District.

One of Sammy Longsons Fodens before it entered service
1455e9447382e874a0315ee7420a6458.jpg

Stanfield:
One of Sammy Longsons Fodens before it entered service0

With the sheet support that motor was for the 24/7 round robin fleet . Buxton lime to Fleetwood , hydratefrom there to Northwich and waste back to Buxton ICI tip . That job help to make Sammy a millionaire .

rigsby:

Stanfield:

With the sheet support that motor was for the 24/7 round robin fleet . Buxton lime to Fleetwood , hydratefrom there to Northwich and waste back to Buxton ICI tip . That job help to make Sammy a millionaire .

Did Sam Longson double shift many wagons Dave?

Chris Webb:

rigsby:

Stanfield:

Did Sam Longson double shift many wagons Dave?

That was the main shift , but there was also a regular set of regular night drivers on other jobs Chris .

Found this on FB.
While I’m on can anybody tell me if North Lonsdale Tarmacadam had a quarry in Derbyshire.I know it was a North Lancashire company but I seem to remember seeing them when I lived in Hope valley back in 40s and 50s.

Chris Webb:
Found this on FB.
While I’m on can anybody tell me if North Lonsdale Tarmacadam had a quarry in Derbyshire.I know it was a North Lancashire company but I seem to remember seeing them when I lived in Hope valley back in 40s and 50s.

Shining Bank quarry near Alport Chris, also owned by Hinchcliffes, Tommy Ward’s, RMC. Long closed now. Part of the Haddon Hall estate, I rang the quarry for some work one day (I did a lot of loads from there when Tilcon/Tarmac didn’t want me) and Keith in the weighbridge said “I can keep you going all day running stone to Haddon Estate but you wont want to do it as they have a yearly allowance and don’t pay for it so only our own company trucks deliver it”! :slight_smile:

Pete.

windrush:

Chris Webb:
Found this on FB.

Shining Bank quarry near Alport Chris, also owned by Hinchcliffes, Tommy Ward’s, RMC. Long closed now. Part of the Haddon Hall estate, I rang the quarry for some work one day (I did a lot of loads from there when Tilcon/Tarmac didn’t want me) and Keith in the weighbridge said “I can keep you going all day running stone to Haddon Estate but you wont want to do it as they have a yearly allowance and don’t pay for it so only our own company trucks deliver it”! :slight_smile:

Pete.

Thanks for the info Pete,I knew Hinchcliffes and TWW owned Shining Bank but not North Lonsdale.
By the way,our lass took this one of wagons held at bottom of Buxton Road Ashbourne when Shrovetide massacre was on.You had to turn right at bottom.You will no doubt remember those days. :smiley:

krb 352j with tipper body on before it was made into a tanker.

ian clayton:
krb 352j with tipper body on before it was made into a tanker.

Nice to see you still knocking about Ian , many years since the hazelcroft days . Hazelcroft sold out to dinky lomas last year . Not many of us left now, I’m 81 this year , still plodding on , all the best . Dave.

One of Hansons ready to enter service

nmp belongs to Kelvin Parker

Hazelcroft Garage Merc artic in Ashbourne market place on Christmas Lantern Parade night.
Part of the Lomas Distribution empire.

Can anyone tell me why R. Hansons (Wakefield) had tipper bodies that curved down slightly just before the tail board on their 60’s wagons? as I didn’t know of anyone else with this design.
As a kid in the 60’s I also remember seeing another coal firm around called “Mullan’s” or something like that, they had dark blue 8 wheeler’s, but where were they based? My dad was an o/d working out of the Buxton quarries back then, and said it was always best to give Hanson’s and Mullan’s wagons plenty of room if you met them coming along Woodhead or Long Hill because they hardly eased off for bends.
Can anyone also remember seeing 6 wheeler rigid tankers around in the 60’s in the Buxton area, the wagons where called NORDE’s and looked like jacked up Bedford TK’s with double headlights, but they were out long before KM’s were on the scene. They were specialy built in Darley Dale by a firm called North Derbyshire Engineering, and had Bedford cabs but 192 bhp ■■■■■■■ V6’s fitted, I think the tanker firm was called “Philmac” and were in Tarmac’s green livery.

One of R. Hanson’s with the rear curved tipper body.

One of the NORDE’s (North Derbyshire Engineering.)

The Norde’s were constructed about 2 miles from where I live, in fact one of my neighbours was working for Toft Brothers and Tomlinson (who were a large transport company and were NORDE) when the first one was constructed. They made an artic that would cruise at 70 + with a ■■■■■■■ engine, the idea was to be able to do two trips a day from Derbyshire to London, but the 6 wheelers were based on a TK cab, some had 354 Perkins engines. Longcliffe Quarries had one of them and they were fitted with Metalastic rubber suspension which was designed by the works. We had a Foden 8 wheeler with a Norde back end and was the forerunner of the rubber suspension still used today. The first project was done on the cheap, in fact my neighbour tells me that the chassis bolts were taken from a scrap Maudslay chassis to save money in case the thing wasn’t succesful!
As with most of these ideas it fizzled out because of the cost compared to mass produced vehicles, Toft Brothers and Tomlinson ceased trading in 1975 and their yard is now used by Matlock Transport. I may have some info on the NORDE’S that I will post on here.
Philmac were part of the Tarmac regime as you say, can’t help with the Hanson wagons though. Does your dad remember Allinsons Foden 8 wheel tippers from Stockport? They would pass you anywhere over The Cat and Fiddle or Long Hill, on bends, loaded or not! You learned to keep your elbows in when they were about!

Pete.

We used to have Sam Longsons Bulk tippers from Chapel en le Frith, coming down through this way in the late sixties, with 8 wheeler Fodens, they were the same pass you any where going in and out of south Wales, carrying sand down and coal or whatever back

Mullan Brothers were from Chesterfield and ran a lot of Leyland Octopussies. They did a lot of work out of the Avenue Plant at Wingerworth amongst other places. I remember seeing them as a kid going over Wadshelf, Stoney Middleton and Peak Forest,piled high with coke and greedy boards bulging.
There’s a picture of one of them on here somewhere.

There is an excellent picture of a Mullans Foden 8 legger heading through the Strangeways area of Manchester in Peter Davies’s book " British lorries of the Sixties" and in his “British Trucks at Work in the Sixties” there is an Atki with that very same body running through the centre of Barnsley.

Hi Tipit
I’ve e-mailed you a photo of one of Mullen Bro’s Leyland Octopus.Still not got the hang of putting them on here.
John

sent in by Stanfield.

And a couple more that must have come from Bonkey Dollocks.