Peak District.

rigsby:
Can you remember before the road was straightened coming down from the Highwayman , there was a narrow bridge where two of Mullans arrived neck and neck , out of stick and both finished up in the fields . I reckon once the bridge was flattened it was easy to bypass it . when Grin quarry was reopened all the coal dumped there in the 60s had to go . There were 3 of Mullans Rievers tipping off overloads , the end one went over and took the other 2 with it . It was rumoured that ex cons looking for work could always go to Mullans , no hgv license then of course .

I was living in Lincolnshire when that happened Dave,I’m sure I read summat on a trucknet group somewhere.I have a friend who worked for Camms later Cambro Chesterfield and he said same about ex cons at Mullans.As a kid I’ve seen em shoving each other up Stoney Dale when they ran those Octopusses.
This photo isn’t one of Mullans but it happened outside Chatsworh Park gates east of Baslow,looks like an AEC Marshal and could be one of Beatties from Manchester I’ve been told.The times I’ve seen wagons scraping the sides of the old Calver bridge,you can still see where it was repaired even now.This is one of Hinchcliffes’ Albions from Sth Elmsall who had a quarry near Bakewell,don’t know who clattered the bridge though. :smiley:

calver.jpg

baslow.jpg

Found this photo on fb,Knights from Rowsley.

Chris Webb:

I believe that’s the one that was in their field for years with a tree growing through the chassis Chris? Our club secretary intended buying it but the block was frosted so he purchased another of theirs. I think that a lad on this forum is rebuilding the one in your pic? I’m guessing that the rest of their trucks that were in the garage for years (early ERF, Dodge etc) went for scrap. They had some hire cars but I’m told that when they decided to demolish the shed they were in they just set the whole lot alight with the cars inside, that got rid of them! :confused: One of our club members drove for them, he said the owner certainly liked her moneys worth from her staff! :wink:

Pete.

windrush:

Chris Webb:

I believe that’s the one that was in their field for years with a tree growing through the chassis Chris? Our club secretary intended buying it but the block was frosted so he purchased another of theirs. I think that a lad on this forum is rebuilding the one in your pic? I’m guessing that the rest of their trucks that were in the garage for years (early ERF, Dodge etc) went for scrap. They had some hire cars but I’m told that when they decided to demolish the shed they were in they just set the whole lot alight with the cars inside, that got rid of them! :confused: One of our club members drove for them, he said the owner certainly liked her moneys worth from her staff! :wink:

Pete.

Pete,i think the last wagon I saw in that yard on Beeley road was a ERF tanker,it were there for ages,well into 90s.They sound like like they were a strange outfit. :laughing:

Three company’s here from over the Peak District

Great pictures John, Thanks for posting them. Could the A K Tanker shot be Tony Kents outfit that was part of the Sellers & Kent firm I wonder, I did know that he started up after S & k ceased trading, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Great pictures John, Thanks for posting them. Could the A K Tanker shot be Tony Kents outfit that was part of the Sellers & Kent firm I wonder, I did know that he started up after S & k ceased trading, Regards Larry.

Aye, that’s Tony Kent’s outfit Larry. Possibly Albert Bates driving it? W.R Wood: they were also based on Ashbourne airfield estate at that time having taken over Webster’s of Wirksworth’s tanker fleet and running them in Websters old livery. Bill Wood was originally based in Kniveton and had several Foden (and later MAN) tippers running from the local quarries. They were painted grey back then, some of the MAN’s had sealed back doors to carry liquid waste and did work in the Southampton area at one time. However Bill retired, his old yard is housing now, and his lad took it on and moved to Ashbourne and bought Websters tanks. He kept a couple of tippers on though, the Late Tony Waring drove the last one they had (a Volvo ) and ran out of Tilcons Kevin quarry with it until he retired and then Nigel Fletcher bought it and ran it for a while as an OD. The company eventually sold out to (I think?) AK Transport, Malmic will know more about it than me though.

Pete.

windrush:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Aye, that’s Tony Kent’s outfit Larry. Possibly Albert Bates driving it? W.R Wood: they were also based on Ashbourne airfield estate at that time having taken over Webster’s of Wirksworth’s tanker fleet and running them in Websters old livery. Bill Wood was originally based in Kniveton and had several Foden (and later MAN) tippers running from the local quarries. They were painted grey back then, some of the MAN’s had sealed back doors to carry liquid waste and did work in the Southampton area at one time. However Bill retired, his old yard is housing now, and his lad took it on and moved to Ashbourne and bought Websters tanks. He kept a couple of tippers on though, the Late Tony Waring drove the last one they had (a Volvo ) and ran out of Tilcons Kevin quarry with it until he retired and then Nigel Fletcher bought it and ran it for a while as an OD. The company eventually sold out to (I think?) AK Transport, Malmic will know more about it than me though.

Pete.

Jim sold out to Turners of Soham they made him an offer he couldn’t refuse. It was the yard they wanted more than the trucks.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Cheers Mick, I knew that you would know what happened with them. There were that many tanker outfits on that estate at one time and I hadn’t a clue who owned what! My neighbours lad drove out of Ballidon for Seafield up there, I dropped him off there early one morning when his car needed Mot’ing and they used some of AK’s premises for parking. Then I believe Lomas took Seafield over so he worked for them for a while, he drives a refuse truck collecting shop waste in Aberdeen now and loves it! Early finishes and no nights out. :wink:

Pete.

All credit to Richard Says for the photos.
Oily

Derbys Richard 48080418072_e75c42d1e0_k.jpg

Derbys Richard 48008535152_925612f4fe_k.jpg

Derbys Richard 42060264692_8d56fc3be8_k.jpg

Derbys Richard 38283205231_728eb61358_k.jpg

It looks as though another long established local haulier has finally called it a day now? :cry:

Pete.

windrush:
It looks as though another long established local haulier has finally called it a day now? :cry:

Pete.

That’s a shame Pete,they have been going for donkey’s years. :astonished:

Chris Webb:

windrush:

Pete.

I believe that there are only two of the original four Lowe brothers left now Chris, and both are in or around their eighties. George (youngest brother) only has two daughter’s who wont be interested, they like the gee gees, the old yard at Northwood has been passed for building and there is just the small yard by the old Firth Derion works remaining. Every company comes to a natural end eventually and I think that has happened here. They haven’t been trading for several months anyway.

Pete.

Deleted double post

Pete.

Shame about Matlock Transport, I drove for them when Tofts packed up, myself and George Foxlow were the first class one drivers for them as they never had artics until Tofts finished, I have fond memories from that time.

windrush:

Chris Webb:

windrush:

Pete.

I believe that there are only two of the original four Lowe brothers left now Chris, and both are in or around their eighties. George (youngest brother) only has two daughter’s who wont be interested, they like the gee gees, the old yard at Northwood has been passed for building and there is just the small yard by the old Firth Derion works remaining. Every company comes to a natural end eventually and I think that has happened here. They haven’t been trading for several months anyway.

Pete.

Your a bit behind Pete that yard on the A6 now has a new owner .

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Oh I’m always well behind Dan, I haven’t travelled along that part of the A6 since lockdown.

Pete.

There we go Dan, get bidding lad. :wink:

Pete.

malmic:

windrush:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Pete.

Jim sold out to Turners of Soham they made him an offer he couldn’t refuse. It was the yard they wanted more than the trucks.

That would have been around 2001? I started for Turners in May 2002 and had a Turners Scania with a Woods Spitzer tank for a year, before being promoted (I told the manager I was leaving if I had another week out in the P cab) to a EC10 and Feldbinder.

Didn’t Sam Longsdens take over AK? and then they got bought by Lomas?

All credit to bilbobagweed for the photo, April 2009.
Oily