Peak District.

Ballidon quarry to Sheffield… 60 miles! :open_mouth:

Probably feels like it if you attempted to walk it! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

BonkeyDollocks:

Probably feels like it if you attempted to walk it! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

That’s a round trip Bonkey, not one way! :unamused:

Malmic: you are talking ‘supertax bracket’ when dealing with the tanker mens wages, (well a selected few, no names! :wink: ) but we were not in that league! Actually us lads carting tarmac were often on lower money than the dry stone lads due to the less amount of mileage, we didn’t do the regular London’s and Somerset’s etc, and as you know there was a lot of standing around and also not much work at times whereas those on Lichfield and Hulland generally kept going irrespective. We did have some good days though, and I preferred the variety of coated work plus the truck probably made more profit! :wink:

Pete.

windrush:

BonkeyDollocks:

Malmic: you are talking ‘supertax bracket’ when dealing with the tanker mens wages, (well a selected few, no names! :wink: ) but we were not in that league! Actually us lads carting tarmac were often on lower money than the dry stone lads due to the less amount of mileage, we didn’t do the regular London’s and Somerset’s etc, and as you know there was a lot of standing around and also not much work at times whereas those on Lichfield and Hulland generally kept going irrespective. We did have some good days though, and I preferred the variety of coated work plus the truck probably made more profit! :wink:

Pete.

They would be the round trip mileages on your time sheet which would be about right.
Not a fan of Tarmac but there mileage sheet was fairer than Tilcons

malmic:

windrush:

BonkeyDollocks:

Pete.

They would be the round trip mileages on your time sheet which would be about right.

I should add the ones with S on them weren,t so good.
S stood for special but not in a good way.

malmic:

I should add the ones with S on them weren,t so good.
S stood for special but not in a good way.
[/quote]
Actually the Sheffield and Lichfield mileages were both 68 miles when I started Mick, ■■■■ Bentley then had a rethink and several places became closer. :confused: Also the 25 miles per hour went up to 28 and then 30, very slowly the very good pay scheme was chiseled away at over the years! Then, thanks to two certain drivers who commented that we were on too much money, STB knocked even more off and those two drivers then left the company as the money wasn’t as good then. :confused: Who ever said that driver’s were their own worst enemy eh? :unamused:

I first encountered the ‘magic S’ on tickets when I worked for Eric and did a bit for Tarmac out of Dene quarry, I had to break it to some OD’s who only ever worked from Ballidon what it actually meant when the companies combined haha! :laughing:

Pete.

I thought the S marked tickets were for jobs e.g Dene were big tonnage was required for like filling in the pit shafts when they were closing . A very low rate .

Roger D on what you say Windy but I recall my old man’s work sheets from his days at Topley Pike and they had mileage one way. EG Manchester was 25 miles (set from Buxton traffic lights bottom of Terrace Rd)
Never knew you could do it both ways!

Punchy Dan:
I thought the S marked tickets were for jobs e.g Dene were big tonnage was required for like filling in the pit shafts when they were closing . A very low rate .

That’s correct Dan, even some large tonnage coated jobs were Special (low) rate. Much easier to drop the haulage rate to get the job than lower the price of the actual material! :unamused: Probably Tilcon did the same with the M40 contract, Malmic will know, but we on Tilcons own fleet were on mileage so it didn’t affect us. Probably the premium paid to four wheelers was stopped? I never encountered it with RMC, but that may just have been the luck of the draw because I didn’t cart to any really large tonnage jobs of theirs?

Pete.

Tarmac rates to the M40 were ok .The dry rate was cut but that was all handed to one haulier so we didn’t get involved in that

Would I be right in thinking that all Sam Longson’s E14s were spec’d with 9-sp Fuller 'boxes; or was it just one or two examples like this one?

D899 BRY known F9.jpg

ERF-NGC-European:
Would I be right in thinking that all Sam Longson’s E14s were spec’d with 9-sp Fuller 'boxes; or was it just one or two examples like this one?

The first batch they had were 265 rollers which did not please the drivers as they could’nt catch my e290 . By the time they got the 290s I had moved on and drove a Volvofl10 and they still could’nt catch me . It was always a good natured banter with Longsons and our firm . Those were the good times when we all knew each other , brewed up together and used the same digs , pre sleeper cabs of course . Most of the D registered ref units were tweaked up to 320 at ■■■■■■■ .

rigsby:

ERF-NGC-European:

The first batch they had were 265 rollers which did not please the drivers as they could’nt catch my e290 . By the time they got the 290s I had moved on and drove a Volvofl10 and they still could’nt catch me . It was always a good natured banter with Longsons and our firm . Those were the good times when we all knew each other , brewed up together and used the same digs , pre sleeper cabs of course . Most of the D registered ref units were tweaked up to 320 at ■■■■■■■ .

Hiya Dave I think you may be thinking of the C series ,I’ve never seen a 265 rolls or a e290 in a E series they moved on to E320 and rolls 325tx by D reg ? Cheers Dan .

This one is owned by a former workmate of mine, twin splitter in this though. I did get to sit behind the wheel of it as well! :laughing:

NMP

Pete.

Thanks lads! Mystery not quite solved then! Many E-series units did have the optional 9-sp Fuller and I believe some of Longsons did.

ERF-NGC-European:
Thanks lads! Mystery not quite solved then! Many E-series units did have the optional 9-sp Fuller and I believe some of Longsons did.

I know that a lot of local firms who ran 24hr operations specced the 9speed as casual night men could’nt be trusted with a twin splitter . On reflection the Longson units with the 265were Sedona Atkis , apologies , the brain cell failed me .

A few of Allinsons trucks

A foden

95297773_2714172015480170_7362084075789615104_n.jpg

more Fodens

A new delivery

ALLINSONMAGGIE.jpg

had plenty of work for the wrecker

95644718_10219935351846847_6282686557249863680_n.jpg