PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

DEANB:
Spme odds and sods.

Sweet ! :smiley:

Sweeter

Did my usual Thursday delivery opposite Asfordby Storage and saw these 2 old uns sat in the yard
I went in and asked permission to take photos which I was gladly given
Had a good chat with the fitter who was working on the FL7
All 3 lorries are still working internally at Pedigree Melton but are kept in top road legal condition

gazsa401:

Did my usual Thursday delivery opposite Asfordby Storage and saw these 2 old uns sat in the yard
All 3 lorries are still working internally at Pedigree Melton but are kept in top road legal condition

I can’t remeber driving the Scania but the other two have suffered at my hands, I had a FL7 which as the Peterborough depot used to collect steel coils from Lowestoft docks but the old girl was woefully under powered. So to my eternal shame I decided to drop a gear going full pelt down Gratham hill thus knocking the fan belt off. I radioed in the fault and dropped the truck at Melton then picked up a FH for the trip to Lowestoft. I came in the next night and the boss just smiled and they got rid of it back to Melton shortly after.
The one thing about the FL7s they had was they refused to die no matter what you threw at them, and the fitters did a good job keeping them going.

windrush:
Yes Dean, Derbyshire Stone was my part of the world. I can see the site one of their former quarries from my chair while writing this! I think (but I’m probably wrong as I had no dealings with the company) that Pete Spencer drove that Foden artic. That company with 'seven t’s plastered everywhere took them over, and that was another good company gone forever. :imp:

Pete.

Hi wind rush ,are they part of Derbyshire aggregate as we used to back load with Raymond’s there was only one way in for trucks if I recall cheers John

smallcoal:

windrush:
Yes Dean, Derbyshire Stone was my part of the world. I can see the site one of their former quarries from my chair while writing this! I think (but I’m probably wrong as I had no dealings with the company) that Pete Spencer drove that Foden artic. That company with 'seven t’s plastered everywhere took them over, and that was another good company gone forever. :imp:

Pete.

Hi wind rush ,are they part of Derbyshire aggregate as we used to back load with Raymond’s there was only one way in for trucks if I recall cheers John

Derbyshire Aggregates is no connection , I think they prepackaged aggregates , they seem to have been going for a long time now . Derbyshire Stone we’re absorbed into the Tarmac empire in the 70s I think .

It would be interesting to see a list of companies, quarries etc that disappeared into the Tarmac empire over the years.
Tyneside

gazsa401:
Good Morning Dean
Masons timber had a massive wood yard in Colwick Nottingham
My late ex father in law and ex brother in law worked there for years
It closed a few years ago I can’t recall if they had any other depots
Again at my time at Stirlands we would load timber out of King George’s Dock Hull as a return load to Masons
They ran a lot of Ford Cargos at one time later moving on to Mercedes
Thanks Gary

Thanks for the info Gary,good stuff chap. :smiley:

Richard8:
“DEANB”

Thanks for the input “Richard8” any pics of the old trucks ■■ :smiley:

Hello Dean

Firstly sorry for copying the whole thread but I’m not great with technology, I didn’t take any photos sadly but I know that Lofty Burrows (rip) had some going back years, and I seem to remember that he used to make models of the trucks. He was a really nice chap.
Some of the Peterborough drivers were
Taffy Thomas (rip)
Elmer Fassler (rip)
Mick Wells driving for the post office
Peter Snitch ex BRS (rip)
Dave Gosling
Big Mac
Ray Fisher
Steve Fisher
John Cayto
Steve Musgrove
Barry
Ray Randell
Andy Randell
Phil Rawlings
Burnie (?)
Michael Beeby drives for Biffa

I am sure some more names will descend from the mist at some point, one thing I do remember is the Ashfordby drivers didn’t have an allocated truck and they were a mess, the Woodston drivers kept there’s clean and when we dropped them off for a service at Melton it was anyone’s guess what state they would be in when you got it back.

I started on a FL7 E447 HBC I got M207 HUT 213 Yellow Scania (painted as pedigree chum) then a R124 Scania R329 XBC and the last was M365 BFE iirc all of which were operated 24/7

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Glad the pic brought back some memories Richard,have spoke to Paul to see if he has anymore pic’s. Nothing scanned about them but will
keep an eye out for them. :wink:

240 Gardner:
Asfordby Storage used to be well known to enthusiasts for some of the older motors they ran: there was an Atkinson Borderer, GJF 740N, which lived to a ripe old age and has been restored quite recently, and they also had the one-off View-Line rigid 6-legger, which had been built new for the RTITB at High Ercall. t became a curtain-sider with Asfordby, improving its proportions no end.

I also have a recollection that they used a Scammell Highwayman for shunting empty rail wagons at, perhaps, the Pedigree Pet Foods site: was that rail-linked? Not as far fetched as it sounds: when Bowker opened its rail terminal at Bamber Bridge, we bought a new Ford ‘County’ 4x4 tractor for moving rail wagons. As I recall, the 4 cylinder versions was rated to move 400 tons (slowly!) and the 6 cylinder could shift 600 tons. I do have a photo somewhere

Thanks for the input Chris,heres a bit about the Scammell Highwayman.

Click on pages twice to read.

Singo55:
Dean,Watkins and Sole are from Manchester do or did a lot of airfreight.Trekdale were from Birdwell near Barnsley did Hepworth pipes then bottles out of Beatson Clark.Ran by a bloke called Smith.

Thanks for the comments “Singo55” :smiley:

windrush:

Pete.

:wink:

moomooland:
Originally R. Maudsley & Sons of Blackburn they later became East Lancashire Warehousing.
[atta]Unfortunately after 90 years the family run business was no more.
[attac]On the 20th of April 2011 sixty staff were made redundant after the company went into administration.
Administrators from Manchester-based KPMG who were called in by the companys bank said at the time that the firm’s reliance on large contracts had led to its downfall.

Shame to hear another long established company has gone Paul,thanks for the info and pics chap. :wink:

gingerfold:
Chris, I’m glad you mentioned the Scammell Highwayman because I nearly posted earlier about it, but I couldn’t be sure if I’d got confused with one of Syd Harrison’s. I DID see it around Melton Mowbray several times during the 1980s. it looked smart and well-cared for.

robthedog:
“DEANB” Spme odds and sods.

Sweet ! :smiley:

Sweeter

Nice pic Rob. :smiley:

gazsa401:

Great pics Gary,love the FL7. Like you say they are in fantastic condiion for there age. The drivers that work there must
certainly look after there trucks and its nice to see although they are shunters they have not been abused.I assume thats
a massive site at Pedigree then ? Thanks for posting chap. :smiley: :wink:

rigsby:
“smallcoal”

Derbyshire Aggregates is no connection , I think they prepackaged aggregates , they seem to have been going for a long time now . Derbyshire Stone we’re absorbed into the Tarmac empire in the 70s I think .

Thanks for the comments John & Dave. :wink:

tyneside:
It would be interesting to see a list of companies, quarries etc that disappeared into the Tarmac empire over the years.
Tyneside

Intresting point Tyneside,anyone know ■■ :unamused:

gingerfold:
Chris, I’m glad you mentioned the Scammell Highwayman because I nearly posted earlier about it, but I couldn’t be sure if I’d got confused with one of Syd Harrison’s. I DID see it around Melton Mowbray several times during the 1980s. it looked smart and well-cared for.

Thanks Graham, I know I’ve seen a picture of it, many years ago, and I can see it in my mind with a big buffer beam across the front. I’ve never been to their yard, though

Evans Transport Mercedes.

Canute Scania.

Anyone recognise the DAF ■■?

MFI Scania.

Anyone recognise the Scania ■■

A.E.James & Sons ERF.

City Plant Mercedes.

Castle Cement Mercedes.

David Lea & Son Volvo bulker. Anyone know where they are based ■■?

Anyone recognise the Seddon Atkinson ■■?

Some odds and sods.

Click on pages once/twice.

L.H. Transhaul Volvo.

clip transhaul volvo ppg.PNG

Volvo F86 from Ellesmere Port 1976.

clip volvo nw mulvey 76 ppg.PNG

G.Webb Foden.

clip foden g webb ppg.PNG

Henry Telfer Trancons.

clip ford henry telfer ppg.PNG

Jonas Crowther ERF from Bingley.

clip erf jonas ppg.PNG

T.H.Litletton MAN from Carlisle.

clip th littleton carlisle man p.PNG

Harbour Transport Mercedes.

clip harbour mercedes ppg.PNG

Lloyds Animal Feeds ERF.

clip lloyds erf p.PNG

Howard Tenens Marathon.

clip howard tenens leyland ppg.PNG

W.Hemmings from Bristol AEC.

clip aec hemmings 75 ppg.PNG

Bob Smith DAF.

MAT Scania.

Think it says Blythe on the Maggie.

Horace Price (Proper old name Horace) DAF. Anyone know where he was based ■■

Wallace Arnold Volvo blowing the doors of that Seddon Atkinson. Anyone recognise it ■■

Think it says Cranfield ■■ chemicals on the F7.

Jeremy Walker Volvo F12. That engine would be worth some serious wedge now.

Starlight Seddon Atkinson.

Fun Fair ERF.

Leyland Roadtrain.

DEANB:
Bob Smith DAF.

MAT Scania.

Think it says Blythe on the Maggie.

Horace Price (Proper old name Horace) DAF. Anyone know where he was based ■■

Wallace Arnold Volvo blowing the doors of that Seddon Atkinson. Anyone recognise it ■■

Jeremy Walker Volvo F12. That engine would be worth some serious wedge now.

Starlight Seddon Atkinson.

Fun Fair ERF.

Leyland Roadtrain.

the blue f7 tanker is a smith&robinson contract motor on for crosfield chemicals of warrington

F Sweeting & Son,
I’m sure they were from Banwell, Somerset
Used to run quite a few crane and tippers lorries on ECC, Camas, Aggregate Industries work,
Did a lot out of Callow Rock, Cheddar.

DEANB:
LJH Screenhire Maggie. Not had one on before,anyone know anything about them ? Pic was taken in Southampton.

A.C.T. Scania.

Cecil S.Allen & Sons MAN from Wrexham. Seen here tipping at Christopher Hill’s mill in Poole.

ACH Atkinson. Where were they based ■■

Meon Valley Metals Volvo F86.

Roy Brennan Volvo F12. Anyone know where they are from ■■ Panel missing on the front.

Parmiter Seddon Atkinson 400. Pretty sure we have not had one on before so does anyone know where they are from ■■

Carpenters DAF 300 bulker.

W.M.Whitaker Scania 111 bulker.

S.W.T.D. Seddon Atkinson 401 with hazardous tanker seen here going through Salisbury. Anyone know what SWTD stands for ■■?

Hello DEAN ,you have not put up Cecil Allen from Rhostyllen Wrexham before they have recently celebrated 60 yrs on the road ,a very small but they take pride in their fleet , that mill in Poole would that MAN be unloading salt ? as they hauled a lot of that back then ,thank you Trevor

Hi Dean here is a bit of investigation work for you, this shot below is from FB and I am wondering if it is a pre curser to Spiers & Hartwell as I seem to remember the leaping what ever it is running up through the name, if so we have delivered many times to there place in Evesham but not sure if they still are operating, Buzzer.

Took this Friday in radstock mid somer Norton while delivering next door

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Our own Punchy Dan has one and a half of those Dennis’s, that one looks familiar as well and I think it was from the Potteries area? Dan will know for certain…he knows everything! :wink:

Pete.

windrush:

Our own Punchy Dan has one and a half of those Dennis’s, that one looks familiar as well and I think it was from the Potteries area? Dan will know for certain…he knows everything! :wink:

Pete.

The Dennis came from the fens I’ve a pic of it when it was green or cream :unamused: it got sold in an auction to John Sturge .
The ERF was Blackpole Recycling from Worcester :wink:

ec11:
“DEANB”

the blue f7 tanker is a smith&robinson contract motor on for crosfield chemicals of warrington

Thanks for the name “ec11” who did you drive for ? :wink:

boardo96:
F Sweeting & Son,
I’m sure they were from Banwell, Somerset
Used to run quite a few crane and tippers lorries on ECC, Camas, Aggregate Industries work,
Did a lot out of Callow Rock, Cheddar.

Thanks “boardo96” i think you are right we have had Sweeting motors on before. :wink:

tastrucker:
Hello DEAN ,you have not put up Cecil Allen from Rhostyllen Wrexham before they have recently celebrated 60 yrs on the road ,a very small but they take pride in their fleet , that mill in Poole would that MAN be unloading salt ? as they hauled a lot of that back then ,thank you Trevor

Thanks for the info Trevor. :wink: Christopher Hill in Poole was a grain mill and they had 2 different mills in Poole. Will do a bit on them soon. :smiley:

Buzzer:
Hi Dean here is a bit of investigation work for you, this shot below is from FB and I am wondering if it is a pre curser to Spiers & Hartwell as I seem to remember the leaping what ever it is running up through the name, if so we have delivered many times to there place in Evesham but not sure if they still are operating, Buzzer.

Hello Buzzer, Not sure to be honest that F88 is the wrong colour ? The company was started by Deryck Hartwell and Charles Spiers hence the name.

I think that must be another company ,but will have a look at the articles i have on Spiers & Hartwell. :wink:

smallcoal:
Took this Friday in radstock mid somer Norton while delivering next door

Great pics John,thanks for posting ! :smiley:

windrush:

Pete.

Punchy Dan:

windrush:

Pete.

The Dennis came from the fens I’ve a pic of it when it was green or cream :unamused: it got sold in an auction to John Sturge .
The ERF was Blackpole Recycling from Worcester :wink:

Thanks for the details Dan. :wink: Is that a Pax ?

Dean it was reported in a magazine as a Pax so it would be a Pax V but that grill is from the model after which was a DB15 :wink: