A02959.JPG

A04785p.JPG

Atkins long distance diary from 1977.

Click on pages twice.

Atkins Iveco’s.

atkins 843.jpg

Pics from the M54.

Balfour Beatty DAF

Richard Long Scania. Dont know if they are still going ,but they used to do alot of European work carrying agricultural machinery.

Steel & Alloy Roadtrain.

Beresford MAN.

Grant Smith Volvo.

Nice to see one of Pentons.

Repjol Leyland tanker.

Anyone recognise the Volvo F86 ■■?

Peter Bowker Scania.

Think it says GKN Telford on the Mercedes ?

DEANB:
Pics from the M54.

Balfour Beatty DAF

Richard Long Scania. Dont know if they are still going ,but they used to do alot of European work carrying agricultural machinery.

Steel & Alloy Roadtrain.

Beresford MAN.

Grant Smith Volvo.

Nice to see one of Pentons.

Repjol Leyland tanker.

Anyone recognise the Volvo F86 ■■?possible it could be heads transport from shortheath willenhall some of there,s were dark blue with no name.

Peter Bowker Scania.

Think it says GKN Telford on the Mercedes ?

DEANB:

MANTRONIC:
“DEANB” Some Welsh / border motors.

G.J.Price Scania. Hey Dean ,G J Price are from Sennybridge ,and now mostly doing tipper work ,S Jones are from down Aberystwtyth way ,and thier ERFs attend as lot of the shows ,MT

Thanks for the comments “MT” .Heres an article about S.Jones. :smiley: :wink: Hey Dean thanx ,magic! MT

Click on pages twice.

NMP.

Hi Dean,
Peter Bowker was based at Bridgnorth Salop, sadly no longer trading.

L5841p.JPG

GKN, Hadley Castle Works, they have made a very wide range of products there from vending machines, truck and tractor wheels, the Ergomatic cabs, phone boxes ( later type not the red ones ) as well as Spitfires for the war effort, here is an aerial shot of the works in the 1980’s, Cheer’s Pete

A2QTQHZBZREJRLX6R67JKP34TA.jpg

L5852p.JPG

DEANB:

vwvanman0:
The erf rigid with the union jack on the front looks like bisley office furniture. Great pics as ever.

Steve

Thanks for the name Steve ! :smiley:

smallcoal:
Hi dean the Volvo with carline on is a subbie it’s stallards they had carline on to get in places

Thanks for the info John. :smiley:

Buzzer:
Dean the truck with FHR is F.H.Roberts a Southampton based company involved in newspaper distribution and warehousing, Buzzer

Thanks for the name Buzzer ,can say they ring a bell wih me. :wink:

robthedog:
Anyone recognise the Volvo FL10 ■■?

The FL10 could be STS ? Buzzer or tribsa will know

Thanks for the possible name Rob. :wink:

Chris Webb:
The photo of the Solstor,South London Storage,wagon reminds me of the times Solstor used to backload out of Wincanton Maltby,usually for Snodland,Dartford or Aylesford.They were usually owner drivers pulling Solstor trailers and were all nationalities including Turkish which was a challenge language wise as not many folk in Maltby spoke Turkish. :smiley:

Thanks for the memories Chris, i particularly liked “not many folk in Maltby spoke Turkish” :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

pete smith:
Clive Price are from Hereford, been at it a fair few years usually running Scania’s but i can remember a couple of Ford Cargo’s that snuck in to the fleet!

Thanks Pete for the info,we have had a few of them on here,looks like a tidy fleet. :smiley: :wink:

Carl Williams:
“marktaff” Hi Dean,
Lovely pic of this Pickfords 6 legger…this would be one of the first batch of 6 leggers they put on the road in 1997…but here in this pic as had a new lease of life with a new paint job in the new colours and logo in the last couple of years.
I much preferred the old Allied logo but you cannot stop progress :smiley:

Regards Mark

Hi Mark,
If you are correct that van must have been about 20 years old when it went in for re-paint. I must admit it looks in remarkable condition. However it makes you wonder what’s going on at Pickfords. Just a few months ago I saw about 6 vans for sale on Trucktrader all under 2 years old. Why would anyone sane keep 20 + years old when parting with almost new?

Any thoughts or gossip?
Hope you have a good New Year

Carl

Good input Mark and Carl. I think Mark is right that probably was one of the original ones from 1997 as the pic was taken in 2003. :smiley:

I never liked the look of those 6 wheeler Pickford’s motors. :wink:

ergomatic man:
“DEANB”

Moran & Sons ERF tipper.

think moran only runs the 1 tipper now goin back a few years i remember him running quite a fleet in particular his aec marshall with late leyland grill on it,also erf bseries 6 wheelers,and leyland cruisers that had been converted from units into 6 legger tippers,and a y reg c series erf tractor unit used with a low loader,which went over the rd opposite motans yard to reban transport who run a good old classic fleet.

Thanks “ergomatic man” for your comments. Moran sound like Harts they used to like converting trucks/tippers to what they
wanted. :wink:

FLOURPOWER:
“DEANB”
Nice bit of Irish flour couple nice Leyland tankers thankyou not seen them before cheers Flourpower.

Cheers “FLOURPOWER” Heres a Spillers AEC ! :wink:
Cheers Dean love the look of these as a 8 wheeler powder tanker pure flourpower!!!

Richard Long Scania. Dont know if they are still going
They are Dean.
Oily

Farm Richard 42266201180_cf6f28126a_rs k.jpg

Farm Richard 37931752986_d798375fbf_rs k.jpg

Farm Richard 36454677122_5e139d9a40_rs k.jpg

DEANB:

The FIAT coming out of Poole docks, is that one of Hills of Botley in the background ?

oiltreader:
Richard Long Scania. Dont know if they are still going
They are Dean.
Oily

Richard long from Norfolk way are still going see them across the water quite a lot although most are Dutch registered, not good to work for by all accounts.

DEANB:
F.B.Atkins & Sons Transport brochure.

Click on pages twice to read.

They also has a depot in Totton tar works Southampton, I think they were a shadow of their former selves by then running poxy Renault trucks on containers

Grant Smith Volvo.

That looks like an ex JC Dean motor from salisbury

………….

Carl Williams:

marktaff:
Hi Dean,
Lovely pic of this Pickfords 6 legger…this would be one of the first batch of 6 leggers they put on the road in 1997…but here in this pic as had a new lease of life with a new paint job in the new colours and logo in the last couple of years.
I much preferred the old Allied logo but you cannot stop progress :smiley:

Regards Mark

Hi Mark,
If you are correct that van must have been about 20 years old when it went in for re-paint. I must admit it looks in remarkable condition. However it makes you wonder what’s going on at Pickfords. Just a few months ago I saw about 6 vans for sale on Trucktrader all under 2 years old. Why would anyone sane keep 20 + years old when parting with almost new?

Any thoughts or gossip?
Hope you have a good New Year

Carl

Hi Carl,
Although Dean points out the photo was taken in 2003 quite a few of these R plate volvo’s were still on the road up until about two years ago…i think there maybe the odd one still in service…but in all fairness the bodies on the 6 leg volvo’s were all built by Bevans from the Midlands …and were designed to be very hard wearing with very few gadgets so one fits all ramps and so on …so not suprised they still look good with a new coat of paint.

The new Pickfords these days are putting these old Bevans bodies on second hand chassis …a lot of these refurbished trucks are then sold to the franchised members around the country…
.they also build bodies in certain parts of the country and plant them on second hand chassis …and also buy second hand trucks also these days.

So they do run vehicles of a very old age these days.

Regards Mark

P8050152p.JPG.jpg

Robthedog, well spotted Hill’s MAN with Dennison lowlaoder in the background

Hi dean steel & alloy West Brom just of j1 m5 we used to deliver steel from port talbot ,happy new year to all on here especially dean,mark and Paul and all your families :smiley:

DEANB:
C.B.Chastney Volvo F88. “tyneside” will probably know about this company ■■

Buzzer, i think you know this fella ? Looks like the chap that did 2 x long distance diaries.Havent got time to look company
name up but i am sure you will know it. :wink:

First truck i ever went in was one of these Commers. Anyone recognise it ■■?

Burman Foden tanker.

Think it says JB Transport on the F7 ■■?

Dale Farm Roadtrain. Dont think we have had one on before ■■?

Crowthers Scania livestock draw-bar.

Kelly Freight Scania.

Rockwool Seddon Atkinson.

Anyone make the name out on the F86 possibly Carnation ■■?

Hello DEAN ,the Crowthers Scania ,is from Craven Arms Shropshire they were very big livestock hauliers but they finished about 20 years ago ,they actually took livestock to the continent ,a big Scania fleet with a few Volvos ,they bought out another local haulier Burgoynes and set up in thier yard with another at Culmington on the back road towards Ludlow
And yes Dean J P Wood Chukie were also from Craven Arms ,anther big Scania fleet with a sprinkling of MANs ,thank you Trevor

pete smith:
Clive Price are from Hereford, been at it a fair few years usually running Scania’s but i can remember a couple of Ford Cargo’s that snuck in to the fleet!

Hi Dean and pete ,i can remember Clive Price having a Spanish Dodge unit years ago ,recently those Scania;s have been busy hauling cider apples for Bulmers .
Dean ,loved the Marathons from south Wales back on page 395 ,regarding Morfa they also had drivers based at Kington and Leominster ,best wishes for the New Year regards Keith