PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

Spanish dodge coming through Parkstone heading for the Poole ferry.
Whats is the car going the other way ■■
I think it’s a Vauxhall Viva HB.

oiltreader:
Hi Dean, Autocar and Transporters of Wythall, your’e doing a sterling job, I know how time consuming it can be, especially to give the supply of excellent pics you are providing daily, and again thanks to Paul and Mark for sharing such a helping of nostalgia.
archive.commercialmotor.com/arti … eering1971
Cheers
Oily

Cheers Oily, I thought you would know ! :wink: Thanks for the link. :laughing:

m.a.n rules:
is it my eyesight or is it a nun riding shotgun in that white Spanish sava ?

Yes “m.a.n. rules” i forgot to mention that when i put that pic on ! Maybe it was a “bible bashing” vehicle
on some sort of mission !! :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

oiltreader:

m.a.n rules:
is it my eyesight or is it a nun riding shotgun in that white Spanish sava ?

Hi, m.a.n rules, she’s the driver’s sister :laughing:
Oily

:laughing: :laughing:

ERF-NGC-European:
This Paul Gee picture is most interesting to me, in that it appears to have a Trailor Savoyard tilt trailer, built in France. I notice that it has the tandem spread-axle bogie rather than the tandem close-axle bogie favoured by the French at the time ('70s). Can any of our French bretherin from the ‘Saviem’ thread shed any light on what possible legislation or preference might have led to this oddity?

Robert

:laughing: :laughing:

Spud1960:
Yet another fantastic thread, I particularly like the early continental trucks that we seldom saw over here

Thanks “Spud1960” Paul will enjoy reading that ! :wink: :smiley:

ERF-NGC-European:

ERF-NGC-European:
This Paul Gee picture is most interesting to me, in that it appears to have a Trailor Savoyard tilt trailer, built in France. I notice that it has the tandem spread-axle bogie rather than the tandem close-axle bogie favoured by the French at the time ('70s). Can any of our French bretherin from the ‘Saviem’ thread shed any light on what possible legislation or preference might have led to this oddity?

Robert

Silly me! To a certain extent I’ve just realised that I can answer my own question in that Trailor Savoyard tandem ‘spreadies’ were commoner than I thought (see examples below). You will note that they are nearly all exports to Britain so presumably Trailer made ‘spreadies’ for the UK market. However, it would still be interesting to know if there was legislation in France that steered the course of axle configuration differently from in Britain. Robert

Robert, what have i told you about not taking your medication chap ! :unamused: :smiley: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

m.a.n rules:
great site deanb. just out of interest what year does the collection go up too.

Paul is still taking pics today chap ! :wink: :laughing:

robthedog:

DEANB:
Some foreign companies today.

Whats is the car going the other way ■■ Look at the size of the old mini ! :smiley:

Transport Mahe’s Saviem at Poole docks.

S.verdu Pegaso from Spain,going through Poole heading to ferry.

1st pic Vauxhall viva
4th pic Canute rd Southampton with the itchen bridge in the background
Scania 111 of San Transports of France. Think it may be Southampton ■■?

Thanks “robthedog” for confirming the street in Southampton, i thought it was somewhere there ! :wink:

wondercat:
Whats is the car going the other way ■■
I think it’s a Vauxhall Viva HB.

Thanks for confirming car “wondercat”, “robthedog” also confirmed a Viva ! :laughing:

One for “Kingswinford Kit”

Wynns Scammell contractor.

paulgee scammell contractor.jpg

Some pics.

Lovatt ERF

2017-07-16 11.07.00.jpg

Mercedes,bit of a odd looking outfit.

2017-07-16 15.59.02.jpg

Scania Vabis.

2017-07-16 22.00.48.jpg

MAN ,Transvalero shellfish truck arriving in Poole off ferry.

2017-07-16 11.13.30.jpg

Freightliner Volvo F86

2017-07-16 11.16.02.jpg

Trans Boscal pegaso from Spain,arriving at Poole to ship out.

Intresting pic,look at the old Capri behind,mini sticking out. Is the yellow car with a nice bit of filler
a datsun ■■?

2017-07-16 11.19.52.jpg

MAN of Bolton roadways.

2017-07-16 22.15.51.jpg

Anyone recognise the Foden ■■

2017-07-16 22.22.29.jpg

Army Foden

2017-07-16 22.24.12.jpg

C.R.S. ERF

2017-07-16 22.26.37.jpg

2017-07-16 22.22.29.jpgThats the main West Coast Line in the background running through Crewe.
The S36 Foden Reg No CMA 499H is Foden factory works motor/demonstrator you can just make out the Foden logo on the door.
They were all blue and white for a number of years as can be seen in the pictures below.

Foden Works Band.jpgFodens Motor Works Band 1970 with two Foden’s in factory/demonstrator livery.

Re the F88 wipers (just for you Deanb) :smiley:
This is the F88 that my Dad and his partner bought new in October 1972, BCJ 789 L. It was supplied by Griffin Mill (Pontypridd) , but from their Tram Inn, Hereford branch.
By the time this pic was taken in 1975, my Dad and his partner had gone their separate ways (but remained mates), and so my Dad had bought the blue 110 parked next to the 88.
The chap in the F88 is Alan Gaze from Peterchurch, Herefordshire, who had ran down to Iraq with my Dad.
Keep up the great work Deanb, and once again pass on our appreciation to Paul Gee.

Hiya…Sisters!!,Cheers :wink:

2017-07-16 11.07.00.jpg

moomooland:
2Thats the main West Coast Line in the background running through Crewe.
The S36 Foden Reg No CMA 499H is Foden factory works motor/demonstrator you can just make out the Foden logo on the door.
They were all blue and white for a number of years as can be seen in the pictures below.
10Fodens Motor Works Band 1970 with two Foden’s in factory/demonstrator livery.

Living n learning moomooland always thought blue n white Fodens were bound for ECC quarries

bubbleman:

Quite amazing that out of all the trucks made and the relatively few that were photographed we end up with two consecutive registrations taken by two different photographers and one has Stoke on the doors and one Somerset on the front

gingerfold:

DEANB:

ramone:

DEANB:
Some AEC’s for “gingerfold”

Some great Spiers motors there Dean , TGU 205M was owned by Graham (Gingerfold) ,theres a V8 amongst them too. The photo with the SAs in must have been near the end of Spiers existence , they moved to 38 tons and bought some ERFs too I think . They must have been the last firm to run AECs on a large scale , Im not sure how many they ran but I saw them regularly on the M65 heading towards Keighley in West Yorks. Always a great sight to see.

I did not know Graham drove for them but remember he liked them ! Thanks for the input, Ramone ! :laughing:

Just a correction DEAN, I never worked for Spiers but I knew them and William Spiers and his sister Jean Still asked me to write the history of the business. The Spiers family are lovely people and they had a very loyal and long serving workforce. They were a “proper” general haulage company and although the Mandators were still in service well past their sell by date they were in top mechanical condition. They had several containers full of AEC spares. When the business was sold to TDG I got hold of TGU 205M which they had bought out of service from Amoco and never put it into service. It had been dry stored for about 16 years and it had actually been re-cabbed with a brand new Ergomatic cab only about 4 months before Amoco sold it. I, with help from workshops staff restored TGU at Turners (Soham) Ltd. and that’s when I found information about when the new cab had been fitted on a panel inside the driver’s side door. To prove what a small world it is I bought the trailer behind it from John Hudson at Bawtry and when I went to collect the trailer with TGU they confirmed that not only had they done the servicing for Amoco but they had also fitted the new cab, claiming it was the last low datum cab that BL had in stock. The last bit is probably true because getting a new cab for an AEC in the early 1980s was all but impossible.

This picture was taken in September 2000 outside the then disused Spiers depot. I had taken TGU to Melksham to show it to the Spiers family and on the evening before this picture I had given an illustrated talk to the Melksham local history society about Spiers and the Warminster Motor Company. (Can it really be 17 years ago).

Did it go as well as it looked Graham it certainly was a credit to you ?

moomooland:

Thanks Paul, well spotted ! :laughing:

kmills:
0Re the F88 wipers (just for you Deanb) :smiley:
This is the F88 that my Dad and his partner bought new in October 1972, BCJ 789 L. It was supplied by Griffin Mill (Pontypridd) , but from their Tram Inn, Hereford branch.
By the time this pic was taken in 1975, my Dad and his partner had gone their separate ways (but remained mates), and so my Dad had bought the blue 110 parked next to the 88.
The chap in the F88 is Alan Gaze from Peterchurch, Herefordshire, who had ran down to Iraq with my Dad.
Keep up the great work Deanb, and once again pass on our appreciation to Paul Gee.

Thanks “kmills” for the info and the pic ! :wink: :smiley:

bubbleman:

Thanks Bubbs ! :wink:

coomsey:

moomooland:

Living n learning moomooland always thought blue n white Fodens were bound for ECC quarries

Cheers Coomsey ! :laughing:

Spud1960:

bubbleman:

Quite amazing that out of all the trucks made and the relatively few that were photographed we end up with two consecutive registrations taken by two different photographers and one has Stoke on the doors and one Somerset on the front

There have been a few “Spud1960” that i have posted of Pauls that i have either posted another truck
or an advert showing the same truck ! :wink: :laughing:

ramone:

ramone:

DEANB:
Some AEC’s for “gingerfold”

Some great Spiers motors there Dean , TGU 205M was owned by Graham (Gingerfold) ,theres a V8 amongst them too. The photo with the SAs in must have been near the end of Spiers existence , they moved to 38 tons and bought some ERFs too I think . They must have been the last firm to run AECs on a large scale , Im not sure how many they ran but I saw them regularly on the M65 heading towards Keighley in West Yorks. Always a great sight to see.

I did not know Graham drove for them but remember he liked them ! Thanks for the input, Ramone ! :laughing:

Just a correction DEAN, I never worked for Spiers but I knew them and William Spiers and his sister Jean Still asked me to write the history of the business. The Spiers family are lovely people and they had a very loyal and long serving workforce. They were a “proper” general haulage company and although the Mandators were still in service well past their sell by date they were in top mechanical condition. They had several containers full of AEC spares. When the business was sold to TDG I got hold of TGU 205M which they had bought out of service from Amoco and never put it into service. It had been dry stored for about 16 years and it had actually been re-cabbed with a brand new Ergomatic cab only about 4 months before Amoco sold it. I, with help from workshops staff restored TGU at Turners (Soham) Ltd. and that’s when I found information about when the new cab had been fitted on a panel inside the driver’s side door. To prove what a small world it is I bought the trailer behind it from John Hudson at Bawtry and when I went to collect the trailer with TGU they confirmed that not only had they done the servicing for Amoco but they had also fitted the new cab, claiming it was the last low datum cab that BL had in stock. The last bit is probably true because getting a new cab for an AEC in the early 1980s was all but impossible.

This picture was taken in September 2000 outside the then disused Spiers depot. I had taken TGU to Melksham to show it to the Spiers family and on the evening before this picture I had given an illustrated talk to the Melksham local history society about Spiers and the Warminster Motor Company. (Can it really be 17 years ago).

Did it go as well as it looked Graham it certainly was a credit to you ?

:smiley:

Brackmills F88 :smiley:

2017-06-10 15.30.04.jpg

Billows Volvo F86

2017-06-10 15.16.08.jpg

P.D.Grittiths Big J Guy

2017-06-10 15.18.41.jpg

Excelsior Plastics DAF, trailer looks a bit tired.

2017-06-10 15.20.24.jpg

Anyone recognise the Foden ■■?

2017-06-10 15.22.25.jpg

Sykes of Manchester ERF

2017-06-10 15.24.10.jpg

Marathon. I think we had one this colour in the first batch of pics,anyone know whos it is ■■?

2017-06-10 15.26.19.jpg

Old Bedford removal truck.

2017-06-10 15.28.46.jpg

J & C Finney, DAF

2017-06-10 15.45.46.jpg

H.E Rees & Son Mercedes.

2017-06-10 15.50.18.jpg

DEANB:
Some pics.

Salamandre Bedford TM

[

Totally forgot about that company until I saw the pic.
Salamandre were a metal fabrication company based on the South Marston ind est.
Cracking pics btw.

coomsey:

moomooland:

Here’s another Foden works motor on test.

Reg No GTU 899G was first registered on the 1st of October 1968 it’s a Foden S24 Hybrid Twinload.

Foden tr3.jpgGTU 899G was saved for preservation here it is after being restored by Tony Knowles.

Leyland Marathon i think was Williams Nantgeradig Carmarthen also known as Towy Valley Fuels they were coal merchants and coal suppliers they ran a small fleet of trucks The Foden my br S W Bowket of Newport The Mercedes i think was from Robeston Wathen near Narbeth Pembrokeshire

2017-06-10 15.45.46.jpgAnyone remember the Finneys DAF that was outside the house at the junction of the A577 Sale Lane and Wellington Drive in Tyldesley it was there for years until it rotted away.

DAF.jpg

Click here >> for Google Street View of were it was parked up for years.

Photograph courtesy of Robert Cheetham.

Jimmy and Cliff Finney, now there were two characters who were well known throughout the transport industry of old, I don’t know what they would make of the “job” now ! :cry: knew them both ! Cheers Bewick.

moomooland:
1Turner Bros were from Earl Sterndale, a village 5 mile South of Buxton.
There is a preserved ERF LV in their livery knocking about at rallies.

Rigsby bumped one up , :blush: ,I wonder if Bonkey has shown this to Andrew Turner ? :laughing:

moomooland:
1Anyone remember the Finneys DAF that was outside the house at the junction of the A577 Sale Lane and Wellington Drive in Tyldesley it was there for years until it rotted away.

Click here >> for Google Street View of were it was parked up for years.

Photograph courtesy of Robert Cheetham.

Hi remember Finney’s Transport always in Southampton and IIRC they back loaded a lot from Begard with ISR rubber in metal stillage’s out of Fawley, Buzzer.

One of the first drawbar from Mahé transport company, a Bernard with Pelpel cab registred in 1957.