PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

(Dean B posted) “You spent an awful lot of time under those Fodens Pete!” ! :laughing:

Only eight years actually under them Dean, but nineteen great years driving them! Would have spent far longer underneath if we had run Volvo or Scanias eight leggers though! :open_mouth:

Pete.

windrush:
(Dean B posted) “You spent an awful lot of time under those Fodens Pete!” ! :laughing:

Only eight years actually under them Dean, but nineteen great years driving them! Would have spent far longer underneath if we had run Volvo or Scanias eight leggers though! :open_mouth:

Pete.

I have said it before Pete, your a wrong un through and through ! :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Just remind me which two are still building trucks… :unamused: :wink:

Intresting article from 1969.

Click on twice to read.

Heres a brain teaser. What truck is this ■■? Nice looking bunk :laughing: This is for the oldies to answer as the youngsters wont know ! :laughing: :laughing:

Answer tomorrow. :wink:

240 Gardner:

DEANB:
Not had a Outen on before,anyone know anything about them ■■?

William C Hockin Volvo, from Devon or Cornwall.

Outen Transport (George Outen, I think) is from Essex - Basildon, if I remember rightly - used to load them home in the 90s. There’s an Outen Distribution listed at Companies House, dissolved in 2013 but founded only in 1997, so perhaps I remember an earlier incarnation.

Bill Hockin is from Barnstaple, and still very much in business

Outen still going out of Tilbury , white motors with green horizontal stripe now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Superb find, Dean. It’s one of these:

gokhan_diler_ley4.jpg

IIRC, the cabs were sent to a coachbuilder on the South Coast, called Park Bank, or something. Unless this cab was done by the other one. My memory has more leaks than an LAD cab after the condensation from a couple of years’ being slept in has had its way with the floorpan. There is a full explanation on TNUK somewhere. There is also a very concise explanation on LKW Stefan forum.

This is the first time I’ve seen the interior. That engine cover looks nice and warm. :smiley:

DEANB:

windrush:

Pete.

I have said it before Pete, your a wrong un through and through ! :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Just remind me which two are still building trucks…:unamused: :wink:

They are trying, I will give you that Dean. One day they might even catch up and build an eight wheeler as good and long lasting as Sandbach did, who knows? :neutral_face: Not many Swedes visible in those construction pics you posted?
:wink:
Pete.

DEANB:
Intresting article from 1969.

Click on twice to read.

Heres a brain teaser. What truck is this ■■? Nice looking bunk :laughing: This is for the oldies to answer as the youngsters wont know ! :laughing: :laughing:

Answer tomorrow. :wink:

Wasn’t the M62 dubbed the all weather motorway that would never close due to bad weather. I think it was the winter of 77/78 my dad broke down in bad snow with a 4 wheeler Albion near the farm .He was stranded for about 8 hours the footage was on the news but i haven’t been able to find it.He nearly froze it was that cold

blue estate:
“240 Gardner”“DEANB”

Not had a Outen on before,anyone know anything about them ■■?

Outen Transport (George Outen, I think) is from Essex - Basildon, if I remember rightly - used to load them home in the 90s. There’s an Outen Distribution listed at Companies House, dissolved in 2013 but founded only in 1997, so perhaps I remember an earlier incarnation.

Outen still going out of Tilbury , white motors with green horizontal stripe now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for confirming “blue estate” :wink:

[zb]
anorak:
Superb find, Dean. It’s one of these:

IIRC, the cabs were sent to a coachbuilder on the South Coast, called Park Bank, or something. Unless this cab was done by the other one. My memory has more leaks than an LAD cab after the condensation from a couple of years’ being slept in has had its way with the floorpan. There is a full explanation on TNUK somewhere. There is also a very concise explanation on LKW Stefan forum.

This is the first time I’ve seen the interior. That engine cover looks nice and warm. :smiley:

Impressive “anorak”, i thought someone would know but thought it may have taken longer ! :laughing: :wink:

Considering that was 1962 it looks pretty good.Mattress looks comfy although i would imagine a cold cab with the rear windows.
This one was built by Bankfield Engineering. I like the door on the Scammell to get into the sleeper on the second pic.

Click on pages twice.

ramone:
“DEANB” Intresting article from 1969.
Wasn’t the M62 dubbed the all weather motorway that would never close due to bad weather. I think it was the winter of 77/78 my dad broke down in bad snow with a 4 wheeler Albion near the farm .He was stranded for about 8 hours the footage was on the news but i haven’t been able to find it.He nearly froze it was that cold

Cant beat “mother nature” ramone, bet that was a bit nippy ! :open_mouth:

DEANB:

ramone:

Ironically it was a LAD Albion a bit like the ones you just posted but a day cab , it was a rough 'un though bloody noisy horrible thing

ramone:

DEANB:

ramone:

Ironically it was a LAD Albion a bit like the ones you just posted but a day cab , it was a rough 'un though bloody noisy horrible thing

Sounds like you were not a fan then “ramone” :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

windrush:
“DEANB”“windrush”](Dean B posted) “You spent an awful lot of time under those Fodens Pete!” ! :laughing:

Pete.

Just remind me which two are still building trucks…:unamused: :wink:

They are trying, I will give you that Dean. One day they might even catch up and build an eight wheeler as good and long lasting as Sandbach did, who knows? :neutral_face: Not many Swedes visible in those construction pics you posted?
:wink:
Pete.

Morning Pete ! :smiley: Have you stopped taking your medication again ! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

When you retired chap did they present you with the shovel off that S83 ■■? :unamused: If they did start digging a hole chap as you are in trouble ! :laughing: :wink:

Lets hope “uncle Dennis” (Bewick) does not see this as he’s not a Foden lover ! :laughing: :wink:

1977 brand spanking new Foden S83 road test versus several other trucks including a Volvo F86. :wink:

Bear in mind the F86 was first produced in 1965, so it had already been about for 12 years when this test was completed and the Foden was new.
The F86 was at the end of its production life as it was replaced the following year by the F7 in 1978 so looking at the test figures it did
remarkably well ! By the way the F7 was Internaional Truck of The Year in 1979 ! :laughing: Did Foden win truck of the year ■■ :unamused: :laughing:

Click on pages twice to read. (Not you Pete,you will get depressed ! :laughing: :laughing: :wink: )

I dont have figures to hand regarding tipper sales and from memory i believe Leyland were the top sellers and no doubt followed by
Foden,ERF but Volvo would certainly have been in the top 5 possibly higher depending on the year.

Heres a nice Volvo brochure from that era,with a few construction pics. :smiley:

Click on pages twice.

volvo range3.jpg

volvo range5.jpg

volvo range6.jpg

volvo range7.jpg

volvo range8.jpg

volvo range9.jpg

volvo range10.jpg

volvo range11.jpg

volvo range12.jpg

volvo range13.jpg

Re: your couple of pics of LHD Leyland LAD-cabbed sleepers on the Continent, here the link to a thread I opened on the subject some time ago:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=123187

Robert

Elliotts Transport MAN.

London Brick Marshall.

Training Vehicle Bedford.

Phillips Octopus. Article about this company on page 142.

Anyone recognise the ERF ■■?

Abbey Hill DAF.

F.V.Bugler DAF. Another haulier sadly gone.

Looks like one of Ollo ■■? cant remember how you spell the name ? Spanish haulier used to come through Poole alot.

Morey’s DAF demonstrator.

BFC Transport AEC ■■? No doubt i am wrong i will wait for the usual bollocking of “Gingerfold” :laughing:

Nice info on the m62, i recall seeing a documentary on the building of the m62 and the 1960s space age designers planned to put heating systems under the tarmac to prevent winter issues. Sadly the technology wasn’t invented (maybe still isn’t)

Thanks Dean for keeping this brilliant thread going, keep up the good work.

Steve

Anyone recognise the Volvo ■■

P9190097p.JPG

Euro Cell ERF

P8050507p.JPG

Gary Parsons DAF from New Milton.

P9200619p.JPG

Anyone recognise the Scania tanker ■■

PB280025p.JPG

Glendinning Foden.

P9190099p.JPG

Hanson ERF.

PB280012p.JPG

County Cabins Volvo.

P9200623p.JPG

Heywood Haulage tidy ERF.

P9190085p.JPG

Martin Male Scania 113.

P9190084p.JPG

B.J. & C Carberry DAF. Looks like hes heading towards Dorchester just leaving Chideock.

P9190082p.JPG

DEANB:

ramone:

DEANB:

ramone:

Sounds like you were not a fan then “ramone” :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Jeese no bloody awful thing but it had already had a hard life , the AEC looks like an AEC to me too , excellent thread Dean

Well Dean, nothing in that edited report depresses me at all? :confused: The last paragraph summing up reads well enough in its favour. Foden was best overall on fuel, (as my gaffer used to say “It’s not the amount of work you do that worries me but how much it costs me for you to do it”) performance on hills would have been better if they had used ALL the twelve available gears in the 'box instead of just eight, it probably was the lightest as well. In twenty years time that Foden would still have been earning money (we had some that did longer than that) while the Swede would have long ago been recycled into a washing machine or similar! :wink:

Pete.

windrush:
Well Dean, nothing in that edited report depresses me at all? :confused: Foden was best overall on fuel, (as my gaffer used to say “It’s not the amount of work you do that worries me but how much it costs me for you to do it”) performance on hills would have been better if they had used ALL the twelve available gears in the 'box instead of just eight, it probably was the lightest as well. In twenty years time that Foden would still have been earning money (we had some that did longer than that) while the Swede would have long ago been recycled into a washing machine or similar! :wink:

Pete.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Dream on ! :wink:

These are better looking Fodens.

Click on pages twice.