PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

smallcoal:
Hi dean ,yes hinkley is a busy place non stop in there the amount of plant and staff down there ,they even got their own buses ,a fire station on site ,canteens which never close,hers some pics of it,they even got their own campus with football pitches and games hall and bar on site

Great pics John,looks a manic place ! :smiley:

gingerfold:
“DEANB”

Amoco Roadtrain. Were they taken over by another fuel company ?

Amoco was taken over by BP in 1998. it was originally Standard Oil (Indiana), a John D. Rockefeller company, then merged with American Oil company. it started trading in the UK late 1960s. The Amoco brand has recently been re-introduced in USA.

Thanks for the info Graham. :wink:

pete smith:
Morning Dean,
Nice shot of the Hudsons Scania, same company which owns one of the Scammell 100 tonners, pic took last Saturday at the Black Country Museum, that is Maurice Hudson at the front of the motor! Cheer’s Pete

Nice pic Pete,heres a bit about it from the archives. :wink:

Click on pages twice to read.

gingerfold:
“DEANB”

F.H.Lee with hire DAF.

F.H. Lee, aka Francis Lee former Bolton Wanderers and Manchester City footballer. He had a waste paper business and branched out into toilet roll manufacturing. Sold out and pocketed a lot of money.

Sounds like he was switched on for a footballer Graham. :wink:

tonyj105:
“DEANB”

Marsh Plant crane. Anyone know the make ■■?
its a hydracon crane and by the badge it appears to be a hydracon clansman

Thanks for the info Tony,you must know your cranes ! This may intrest you from 1966. :wink:

my dad bought a coles hydra then replaced it with a hydracon , if you could put the coles chassis under the hydracon it would have made a great crane . the coles was quick on the road , it had an aec engine , but was slow to erect, the hydracon was woeful and slow on the road , but quick on the job as it was all hydraulic, ok on local work where you could get 3 or 4 quick jobs in a day, but painful if you had to do some distance.

Thanks for the comments Tony,heres a bit on Coles from 1962.

Chris Webb:
" gingerfold" “DEANB”

Amoco was taken over by BP in 1998. it was originally Standard Oil (Indiana), a John D. Rockefeller company, then merged with American Oil company. it started trading in the UK late 1960s. The Amoco brand has recently been re-introduced in USA.

Amoco had a North Sea Gas plant at Easington on Spurn Head next door to the one BP had.You could load gas condensate 24/7 under cover at Amoco,20 minutes 6000 gallons,you were monitered by camera,never saw anybody. BP loading point was out in open,6000 gallons in an hour and only loading 0800-1600 - unless their storage was getting full in winter and then you could load anytime.

Thanks for the comments Chris. :wink:

tastrucker:
Thanks for the comments Keith,Ray and Trevor about Chukie. It did not ring any bell’s until i saw J.P.Wood mentioned and i thought that i had something on them,
so delved into the archives. :laughing: :wink:

Hello DEAN ,and thank you very much for providing this article ,it mentions Dale bros who i can remember had L A D cabbed Dodges that collected the live birds in cages ,most of the poultry houses were up Wenlock edge and the Corvedale back then
J P Woods also had a Leyland Octopus 8 fridge with ergo cab ,thank you again Trevor

No worries Trevor ! :wink:

240 Gardner:

SCANTASTIC:
That Atki twinsteer on the bottom of page 346 has a Lanarkshire reg no could’ve been ex Sam Anderson

Read all about it here: wjriding.webs.com/regnomvd432l.htm

It was new to Monkland Motors

Thanks for the link to Paul’s great site. :smiley:

Anyone recognise the ERF bulker ■■?

Ian J Root ERF from Salisbury. Dont remember having one of these on here before.

ARC Leyland.

Michael Fowler Volvo F10 bulker. Pretty sure we had a cracking pic of a Atki defender of his on here a while back. Think he was from the Mendips ■■

Shell Seddon Atkinson 401 tanker.

John Raymond Seddon Atkinson 401. Surprised he can see out of the windscreen !

On Board DAF. Dont think we have had one of these on here. Anyone know anything about them ■■?

Westwood FIAT bulker. Not sure where they were based ?

J.C.Dean ERF bulker.

I dont recall having one of Runnalls on here before ? Anyone know anything about them ■■?

Hi Dean the Runnalls ERF would be owned by George Runnnall from down Cornwall iirc and driven by a friend of mine who is another Paul Gee ,I’ve posted some of his photos before now regards Dan .

Hi Dean.
Westwoods were/are from Beccles Suffolk and I think they used to carry malt for the breweries.I’d occasionally see them on Woodhead at night early 80s.

DEANB:

smallcoal:
Hi dean ,yes hinkley is a busy place non stop in there the amount of plant and staff down there ,they even got their own buses ,a fire station on site ,canteens which never close,hers some pics of it,they even got their own campus with football pitches and games hall and bar on site

Great pics John,looks a manic place ! :smiley:

gingerfold:
“DEANB”

Thanks for the info Graham. :wink:

pete smith:
Morning Dean,
Nice shot of the Hudsons Scania, same company which owns one of the Scammell 100 tonners, pic took last Saturday at the Black Country Museum, that is Maurice Hudson at the front of the motor! Cheer’s Pete

Nice pic Pete,heres a bit about it from the archives. :wink:

gingerfold:
“DEANB”

F.H.Lee with hire DAF.

F.H. Lee, aka Francis Lee former Bolton Wanderers and Manchester City footballer. He had a waste paper business and branched out into toilet roll manufacturing. Sold out and pocketed a lot of money.

Sounds like he was switched on for a footballer Graham. :wink:

tonyj105:
“DEANB”

Marsh Plant crane. Anyone know the make ■■?
its a hydracon crane and by the badge it appears to be a hydracon clansman

Thanks for the info Tony,you must know your cranes ! This may intrest you from 1966. :wink:

my dad bought a coles hydra then replaced it with a hydracon , if you could put the coles chassis under the hydracon it would have made a great crane . the coles was quick on the road , it had an aec engine , but was slow to erect, the hydracon was woeful and slow on the road , but quick on the job as it was all hydraulic, ok on local work where you could get 3 or 4 quick jobs in a day, but painful if you had to do some distance.

Thanks for the comments Tony,heres a bit on Coles from 1962.

Chris Webb:
" gingerfold" “DEANB”

Amoco had a North Sea Gas plant at Easington on Spurn Head next door to the one BP had.You could load gas condensate 24/7 under cover at Amoco,20 minutes 6000 gallons,you were monitered by camera,never saw anybody. BP loading point was out in open,6000 gallons in an hour and only loading 0800-1600 - unless their storage was getting full in winter and then you could load anytime.

Thanks for the comments Chris. :wink:

tastrucker:
Thanks for the comments Keith,Ray and Trevor about Chukie. It did not ring any bell’s until i saw J.P.Wood mentioned and i thought that i had something on them,
so delved into the archives. :laughing: :wink:

Hello DEAN ,and thank you very much for providing this article ,it mentions Dale bros who i can remember had L A D cabbed Dodges that collected the live birds in cages ,most of the poultry houses were up Wenlock edge and the Corvedale back then
J P Woods also had a Leyland Octopus 8 fridge with ergo cab ,thank you again Trevor

No worries Trevor ! :wink:

I’ve got the whole coles cranes history in a book somewhere at home

tony

Moved a lot of Grove Coles, as it became, Cranes and equipment from the Sunderland Factory when driving for Fergusons Transport and sometimes did some internal work moving around the US flat trailers that had come over loaded. Palm coupling conversions were needed for the air lines as they still used that system. The nice new chain tensioners they carried were also a worth borrowing! Works are all gone now and area cleared for the new bridge over the Wear. Franky.

hi Dean
how are you ?
listen: when you have time, could you post some pictures of foreign trucks with trailers and semi-trailers from the 70s and 80s please?
Thank you so much.
See you soon
bye
MIMMO :wink:

DEANB:

Ray Smyth:
Hi Dean, Glad to see you back on many threads. Ray.

:wink:

smallcoal:
“DEANB”]Some Welsh motors.

Thanks for the info John. :smiley:

smallcoal:
Stobart mixers

Nice pics John, they get in on everything ! I havent seen a artic mixer with the rear steer before. Make’s life alot easier getting in and out of building sites.

ramone:
POD Robinson and Mick Cook took some photos in A E Evans’ Sheffield depot early 70s. POD sadly died a few months ago but his brother gave me permission to post his and Mick’s photos.
Brilliant photos Chris and you have a great memory , I am guilty of not showing my appreciation of Paul , Moomooland and Oiltreader`s photos which I thoroughly enjoy . Other posters too thanks for posting

I agree Paul (moomooland) and Oily both pop some great stuff on trucknet. :wink:

JAKEY:
Thank you Dean for the brs Photo .

900X20:
Greetings,All.
Ref. the Esso trailer,it looks very much like a Fibre Glass one that Shell tried out.I stand to be corrected but IIRC it’s the same shape as the Shell one.Regards,900x20. :unamused:

Thanks for the info “900X20” i dont remember seeing one like that ! :wink:

ArcDaz:

DEANB:
Anyone recognise the Routeman , Daz ■■?
Dean glade to see you back DAZ this Routeman does look familiar to me :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

This one will look familiar too then chap ! :laughing:

pete 359:
Hi Dean,
Thanks for sharing some more brilliant photos.I love the Protheroe’s Atki shot.Thats a Java green MK3 Cortina imo.
Regards Andrew.

Thanks for confirming the car Andrew. :wink:

240 Gardner:

DEANB:
One for “240Gardner”

Thank you Dean, and welcome back :wink:

[zb]
anorak:
Much further up the page, there are some York trailer adverts. On one of them is this:

What is it?

Don’t know “anorak” :laughing:

krukabman:
Looks like a Bussing to me…the picture above

pv83:
anorak"]Much further up the page, there are some York trailer adverts. On one of them is this:

What is it?

They only had Merc’s in the fleet Anorak, so my best bet would be that it’s one from the LP range?

Have you noticed the third (tag?) axle, looks interesting :wink:

Edit; Just remembered that they had some Mack drawbar units too…

:laughing: :laughing:

pv83:
Good to see you’re posting some proper pic’s again Dean, cheers! :wink:

You have obviously been drinking again Patrick, proper pic ! :laughing: :laughing: Heres a proper Scammell chap. :wink:

kenfig bill:

pv83:
Good to see you’re posting some proper pic’s again Dean, cheers! :wink:[/

Precisely ! …Welcolm back Dean …and what a nice kick off ,…the old man is well chuffed …lol …Geraint

Heres one your old man will like Geraint ! :wink:.Hello Dean ,…yeah that went down very well …he thinks that is the quay at Weymouth …waiting to haul tomatoes back to S Wales …regular work for Entress ,after hauling tin plate down to the Poole area ,…thanks from the both of us …lol …Geraint

[/quote]

Chris Webb:
Hi Dean.
Westwoods were/are from Beccles Suffolk and I think they used to carry malt for the breweries.I’d occasionally see them on Woodhead at night early 80s.

They were taken over by Neil Bomford a few years ago

Thanks 240 Gardener for the info on the Atki cheers

eurotrans:

Chris Webb:
Hi Dean.

When I moved from Manchester to Norfolk 1984 I did a bit of temporary work for various companies. I had done a couple of days for Walpole and Wright Dereham think they are now part of ESJ Walpole group Dereham. I worked along side with Westwood lads.
Small world 1970s Walpole and Wright had a night changeover on what used to be the lay by adjacent to the M60 Washway road Sale. The day driver from Sale was Jim ? used to see him loading Kraft Humko Trafford Park. When I moved to Norfolk the Walpole and Wright Manchester changeover night driver was George ? from Necton near Swaffham. Even smaller world I moved to Dairy Crest Kings Lynn as a tanker driver but some days I would do the odd run out of bottle milk to private milk rounds.
Met George ? again as he was married to milk round owners Joe and Maudy Thompsons daughter at Necton.
KEV

kevmorrow:

eurotrans:

Chris Webb:
Hi Dean.

When I moved from Manchester to Norfolk 1984 I did a bit of temporary work for various companies. I had done a couple of days for Walpole and Wright Dereham think they are now part of ESJ Walpole group Dereham. I worked along side with Westwood lads.
Small world 1970s Walpole and Wright had a night changeover on what used to be the lay by adjacent to the M60 Washway road Sale. The day driver from Sale was Jim ? used to see him loading Kraft Humko Trafford Park. When I moved to Norfolk the Walpole and Wright Manchester changeover night driver was George ? from Necton near Swaffham. Even smaller world I moved to Dairy Crest Kings Lynn as a tanker driver but some days I would do the odd run out of bottle milk to private milk rounds.
Met George ? again as he was married to milk round owners Joe and Maudy Thompsons daughter at Necton.
KEV

Kev,when I was on nights for MFS on the Littlewoods contract 1979-1985, Walpole and Wright ran an artic to Manchester,I think it was either an F7 or FL10 unit. Driver was never in a hurry and if you got behind him after top of Woodhead you were stuck with him until Mottram hill where you had a chance of passing. They also sometimes tipped at Whitbread’s brewery at Lady’s Bridge Sheffield at night.I remember Machins from Surfleet would have a go at passing him anywhere. :open_mouth: :laughing:

Punchy Dan:
Hi Dean the Runnalls ERF would be owned by George Runnnall from down Cornwall iirc and driven by a friend of mine who is another Paul Gee ,I’ve posted some of his photos before now regards Dan .

Impossible there cant be another “Paul Gee” :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Chris Webb:
Hi Dean.

Thanks for the info Chris. :wink:

Frankydobo:
Moved a lot of Grove Coles, as it became, Cranes and equipment from the Sunderland Factory when driving for Fergusons Transport and sometimes did some internal work moving around the US flat trailers that had come over loaded. Palm coupling conversions were needed for the air lines as they still used that system. The nice new chain tensioners they carried were also a worth borrowing! Works are all gone now and area cleared for the new bridge over the Wear. Franky.

Heres a Coles crane Franky, thanks for your comments. :smiley:

sm240:
hi Dean
how are you ?
listen: when you have time, could you post some pictures of foreign trucks with trailers and semi-trailers from the 70s and 80s please?
Thank you so much.
See you soon
bye
MIMMO :wink:

You should try and read the thread “MIMMO” :question: I posted aload of stuff on page 343 :exclamation:

kenfig bill:
"pv83"Good to see you’re posting some proper pic’s again Dean, cheers! :wink:[/

Precisely ! …Welcolm back Dean …and what a nice kick off ,…the old man is well chuffed …lol …Geraint

Heres one your old man will like Geraint ! :wink:.Hello Dean ,…yeah that went down very well …he thinks that is the quay at Weymouth …waiting to haul tomatoes back to S Wales …regular work for Entress ,after hauling tin plate down to the Poole area ,…thanks from the both of us …lol …Geraint

Glad you and dad liked them. :wink:

eurotrans:
“Chris Webb” Hi Dean.

Thanks for the comment “eurotrans” :smiley:

kevmorrow:
KEV

Thanks for the comments and pics Kev. :wink:

Chris Webb:
Kev,when I was on nights for MFS on the Littlewoods contract 1979-1985, Walpole and Wright ran an artic to Manchester,I think it was either an F7 or FL10 unit. Driver was never in a hurry and if you got behind him after top of Woodhead you were stuck with him until Mottram hill where you had a chance of passing. They also sometimes tipped at Whitbread’s brewery at Lady’s Bridge Sheffield at night.I remember Machins from Surfleet would have a go at passing him anywhere. :open_mouth: :laughing:

Thanks for the comments Chris. :smiley:

Heres one for Oily. :wink:

Click on pages twice.

Some odds and sods.

Mack advert from 1978.

Harvey,Buzzer anyone remember Burts of Dorchester ■■?

Carrimore advert from 1967.

AEC dealer advert from 1967.

One for the Welsh.

wales evans1.PNG

wales evans ppg.PNG

Advert from 1968.

R.J.King & Sons Renault.

P2180070p.JPG

Wincanon Scania.

P2180118p.JPG

Anyone recognise the Scania ■■?

P2180059p.JPG

Wincanton Scania.

P2190141.JPG

Anyone recognise the Mercedes ■■?

P3260009p.JPG

G & S International Volvo. Are they still going ■■?

P3290093p.JPG

Total ERF

P5270012p.JPG

Guy

P5270043p.JPG

Dolphin Packaging Scania from Poole.

P7160057.JPG

Kingsbridge Transport ERF from South Wales.

P8150021p.JPG

Abbey Hill Fiat.

Shell Roadtrain.

J & W Tippers Mercedes.

Commodore Shipping Mercedes.

Anyone recognise the DAF ■■? Did European work so possibly pulled a trailer ?

Depcell Transport Volvo F86.

Tunnell Cement Seddon Atkinson.

ACTS Scania.

Conoco Leyland tanker.

Elliotts Foden.

DEANB:
Esso Seddon Atkinson 401 tanker. Unusual looking trailer ?

Anyone recognise the Seddon Atkinson live stock truck ■■? Could have belonged to Burgess Bros, farmers from near Andover. They had a box like that on a Bedford KM and had it extended (as in the new aluminum at the front of the trailer) and put on a trailer pulled by a green SA400, the photo even looks like the A303.
Pete

ARC Volvo F86

Evans Transport Volvo F10.

Anyone recognise the Routeman , Daz ■■?

Heres one for Oily.
Much appreciated Dean, thanks :smiley:
Billy"Trader"Horn was a hard taskmaster, did not suffer fools gladly as they say. I had 3 different Comets(2 artics 1 wagon and drag) in my time there, all totally reliable.
Oily

G&S sold out to Gist Distribution a few years ago