PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

Morning Dean.
Another grand set of photos,thanks.
I like the Ashfield Transport from Luton pic,they used to sub for Wincanton at Maltby,usually doing Tesco Snodland, Safeway Aylesford or Asda Dartford,then loading out of the Marks and Spencer RDC Faversham for their flagship store in Paris.Another driver would go on the shuttle,tip Paris and back same day.
Nice photo of a Boston Roadways Marathon,they were also known as Brackenborough Brothers,from Old Leake,did a lot of market work years ago.

P4220201p.JPG

The Lash Merc is from LASH Transport of Norton, near Faversham in Kent. Back in the '80s I did some driving for them. They ran Merc 1625s and 1626s then! Robert

DEANB:
We have had some cracking Volvo F10’s on here. Alot of owner drivers ran them plus they were a popular fleet motor.

Hi Dean ,fabulous selection of F10s ,love the Fred Bouldry example ,they did a lot of paper out of Monmouth ,and was the first purchaser of a F86 from Griffin Mill garages ,later traded as Greenlands ,regards Keith

Hi Dean.
Still a tremendous thread keep up the good work and thanks to Paul and Mark. The Volvo F10 pages were interesting and seeing the picture of Youngs took me back, saying that they were from Purfleet not entirely accurate they must haVe had a depot down there, as Vehicle has a North Yorkshire reg. Company was actually called Youngs of Stokesley, from North Yorkshire although their main depot was at Margrove Park on the North Yorks / Cleveland border most of their traffic was out of ICI Wilton. They eventually became part of TDG and the yard is just an industrial estate now. Here is another picture NMP of a Youngs with a powder tanker on.

DEANB:
J.Pike Constructor from Salisbury.

Pitter Maggie from Southampton.

Dave Atley Plant DAF tipper.

Westbrick ERF with a shed behind.

Swains of Stretton Scanias.

W.H.Geer Foden from Parkstone,Poole.

Nuttall DAF

Anyone recognise the Volvo F86 ■■

Boston Roadways Marathon.

Edwards of Hull Seddon Atkinson.

Hello Dean ,and thanks for the Swains Scanias ,always good to see them a big fleet in the day ,Trevor

Always pleased to see an Edwards of Hull motor

DEANB:

240 Gardner:
Which at least Volvo have twigged with the I-Shift, compared with MAN and DAF who just have the rotary switch, like Jaguar Land Rover do. My BMW has something vaguely reminiscent of a gear lever!

Some of those early MAN auto’s were evil things to drive. I cant stand autos personally. :smiling_imp:

I remember the Mercedes EPS Powershift in the 1980s, what an awful thing, and the Scanias which I drove for Asda in 2011, with an automated gear change, but still retaining the clutch pedal for setting off: what on earth was that about?? The appeal of the auto is not having to keep operating the clutch in heavy traffic, but that’s the one part they left as manual! :unamused:

Don’t like the Merc auto in the Atrocious and the Axor, nor particularly the DAF or MAN (as they were in 2010-12), but I really liked the Volvo I-Shift. Like my BMW even more!!

But still love the lightweight Fuller in an Atki best though :wink:

tribsa:
Hi Dean

The Houghtons DAF were from Corhampton Hants just north of Portsmouth
Cheers Rich

Thanks for the info Rich. :smiley:

Paul John:
Hi Dean. Well my heart missed a beat when I saw the yellow F86. But alas, not the one I am looking for. Wrong shade of yellow, and S reg on the plate. If you look at page 313, you will see Marsh’s F86 pulling a low loader with a S reg HY-MAC. That’s the shade of yellow with black wings and chassis. It used to run up and down that stretch of road often, as did the day cab F88, GBE 111N.
Great photos as usual, thanks to you and Paul.
Regards Paul

Thanks for your comments Paul John. Sorry bit confused about the yellow F86 as the Marsh one is blue ■■ What company was the F86 you are looking for ■■ :unamused: :laughing:

Chris Webb:
Morning Dean.
Another grand set of photos,thanks.
I like the Ashfield Transport from Luton pic,they used to sub for Wincanton at Maltby,usually doing Tesco Snodland, Safeway Aylesford or Asda Dartford,then loading out of the Marks and Spencer RDC Faversham for their flagship store in Paris.Another driver would go on the shuttle,tip Paris and back same day.
Nice photo of a Boston Roadways Marathon,they were also known as Brackenborough Brothers,from Old Leake,did a lot of market work years ago.

Thanks for your comments Chris. :wink:

ERF-NGC-European:
The Lash Merc is from LASH Transport of Norton, near Faversham in Kent. Back in the '80s I did some driving for them. They ran Merc 1625s and 1626s then! Robert

Thanks for the pic Robert, dont remember them ! Bit of an unusual name,maybe initials of owners ■■ :unamused:

kingswinford kit:
"DEANB"We have had some cracking Volvo F10’s on here. Alot of owner drivers ran them plus they were a popular fleet motor.

Hi Dean ,fabulous selection of F10s ,love the Fred Bouldry example ,they did a lot of paper out of Monmouth ,and was the first purchaser of a F86 from Griffin Mill garages ,later traded as Greenlands ,regards Keith

Thanks for your input Keith ,Paul and Mark certainly got some crackers !! :smiley:

jshepguis:
Hi Dean.
Still a tremendous thread keep up the good work and thanks to Paul and Mark. The Volvo F10 pages were interesting and seeing the picture of Youngs took me back, saying that they were from Purfleet not entirely accurate they must haVe had a depot down there, as Vehicle has a North Yorkshire reg. Company was actually called Youngs of Stokesley, from North Yorkshire although their main depot was at Margrove Park on the North Yorks / Cleveland border most of their traffic was out of ICI Wilton. They eventually became part of TDG and the yard is just an industrial estate now. Here is another picture NMP of a Youngs with a powder tanker on.

Good stuff chap, and thats a great pic ,thanks for posting. :smiley:

tastrucker:
Swains of Stretton Scanias.

Hello Dean ,and thanks for the Swains Scanias ,always good to see them a big fleet in the day ,Trevor

Glad you liked them Trevor, i miss seeing them on the road. I will be doing a bit on Swains sometime in the future chap ! :smiley: :wink:

Spud1960:
Always pleased to see an Edwards of Hull motor

Glad you are still enjoing the pics “Spud1960” :smiley:

240 Gardner:

DEANB:

240 Gardner:
Which at least Volvo have twigged with the I-Shift, compared with MAN and DAF who just have the rotary switch, like Jaguar Land Rover do. My BMW has something vaguely reminiscent of a gear lever!

Some of those early MAN auto’s were evil things to drive. I cant stand autos personally. :smiling_imp:

I remember the Mercedes EPS Powershift in the 1980s, what an awful thing, and the Scanias which I drove for Asda in 2011, with an automated gear change, but still retaining the clutch pedal for setting off: what on earth was that about?? The appeal of the auto is not having to keep operating the clutch in heavy traffic, but that’s the one part they left as manual! :unamused:

Don’t like the Merc auto in the Atrocious and the Axor, nor particularly the DAF or MAN (as they were in 2010-12), but I really liked the Volvo I-Shift. Like my BMW even more!!
But still love the lightweight Fuller in an Atki best though :wink:

:laughing: :laughing: :wink:

“240 Gardner” Chris we have had a few nice pics of Bowkers on here. :wink:

A00461.JPG

A01859.JPG

A01860.JPG

L2080p.JPG

A03369p.JPG

Click on pages twice to read.

bowker 66.PNG

Some oldies.

A04340p.JPG

A04349p.JPG

A04350p.JPG

A04351p.JPG

A04353p.JPG

A04356p.JPG

A04357p.JPG

A04358p.JPG

A04359p.JPG

A04360p.JPG

Anyone recognise the cement mixer ■■?

P8130014p.JPG

Anyone recognise the Scania ■■?

PA260014p.JPG

New Look Scania.

PA260021p.JPG

JCK Transport Iveco.

PA260046p.JPG

Falcon Self Drive DAF.

PA260053p.JPG

Anyone recognise the Scania tipper ■■?

PA260055p.JPG

Canute Scania.

PA260083p.JPG

Nolan Mercedes.

PA260088p.JPG

Argos Scania and Morris Foden.

PA260085p.JPG

Mercedes milk tanker. Possibly Wincanton ■■?

PC300011p.JPG

Hi Dean. Yes Marsh’s f86 is blue, but it is pulling a low loader with a HY-MAC excavator possibly a 580 on it. That yellow was known as HY-MAC yellow back then. As you can see it had a number plate on it, S reg which suggests it worked on the streets/roads.
Rhymney Engineering Company or RENCO was the original designers and manufacturers of hydraulic machinery later to become HY-MAC.
The last three vehicles on their private fleet were an F86, F88 both day cabs and an A series Ford, all painted in bright yellow, matching their 360 wheeled / tracked excavators and wheeled loader/ backhoes.
All three ran up and down the midlands regularly, the artics pulling flat bed trailers loaded with all types of componenents, on the now famous stretch of road where Paul had taken many great photos.
Sorry for the confusion, but it would be nice if there were photos of them, the yellow shining as bright as the Welsh sunlight.
HY-MAC would be in bold black letters on the headboards iirc.

Regards Paul

DEANB:
“240 Gardner” Chris we have had a few nice pics of Bowkers on here. :wink:

We certainly have, thank you Paul :slight_smile:

Lots to comment on there, and also to add to and occasionally correct Pete’s captions to his fantastic photos. Except I’d be here all day…

For me, it’s particularly sad that Bill (WH the second) didn’t live to see this year’s Centenary, missing it only by 18 months. He was unquestionably the most important mentor in my career by a country mile (to use one of his own phrases), and his efforts from 1955 to lead the business were herculean.

He left university at the age of 19, to take the reins of the business upon the untimely death of his father. At that time, the business had not long since re-entered haulage in the denationalisation era, and was running about a dozen motors. Faced with death duties and a certain amount of background family wrangling, he worked his way through this to build and develop the business and led its entry into international haulage in 1961 and, together with his younger brother Ken, laying the foundations of what it is today, with many developments and innovations along the way.

He also found time to be a magistrate in Blackburn from the age of 29 until compulsory retirement at 70, and was a very active participant in both local and national politics. Some man, and sadly missed.

Hi dean,s Morris are from Somerset,they got a place in Yeovil they do cement,aggregate and tipper work

Wright mini mix from warmley in Bristol also goes under Bristol and bath concrete they have opened up a plant on Newport docks ,also s Morris also based in taunton

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Can anybody remember the old cadbury odd looking tankkers they used to run, always remember the volvo fl10 with them on running through herefordshire?

240 Gardner:
“DEANB”“240 Gardner” Chris we have had a few nice pics of Bowkers on here. :wink:

We certainly have, thank you Paul :slight_smile:

Lots to comment on there, and also to add to and occasionally correct Pete’s captions to his fantastic photos. Except I’d be here all day…

For me, it’s particularly sad that Bill (WH the second) didn’t live to see this year’s Centenary, missing it only by 18 months. He was unquestionably the most important mentor in my career by a country mile (to use one of his own phrases), and his efforts from 1955 to lead the business were herculean.

He left university at the age of 19, to take the reins of the business upon the untimely death of his father. At that time, the business had not long since re-entered haulage in the denationalisation era, and was running about a dozen motors. Faced with death duties and a certain amount of background family wrangling, he worked his way through this to build and develop the business and led its entry into international haulage in 1961 and, together with his younger brother Ken, laying the foundations of what it is today, with many developments and innovations along the way.

He also found time to be a magistrate in Blackburn from the age of 29 until compulsory retirement at 70, and was a very active participant in both local and national politics. Some man, and sadly missed.
[/quote]
Thanks for the information about Bowkers Chris. Paul has been having a read as he sent these newer Bowker pics through
for you ! :smiley: :wink:

Paul John:
Hi Dean. Yes Marsh’s f86 is blue, but it is pulling a low loader with a HY-MAC excavator possibly a 580 on it. That yellow was known as HY-MAC yellow back then. As you can see it had a number plate on it, S reg which suggests it worked on the streets/roads.
Rhymney Engineering Company or RENCO was the original designers and manufacturers of hydraulic machinery later to become HY-MAC.
The last three vehicles on their private fleet were an F86, F88 both day cabs and an A series Ford, all painted in bright yellow, matching their 360 wheeled / tracked excavators and wheeled loader/ backhoes.
All three ran up and down the midlands regularly, the artics pulling flat bed trailers loaded with all types of componenents, on the now famous stretch of road where Paul had taken many great photos.
Sorry for the confusion, but it would be nice if there were photos of them, the yellow shining as bright as the Welsh sunlight.
HY-MAC would be in bold black letters on the headboards iirc.

Regards Paul

I will have a word with Paul but i dont think he has any of that company Paul. :unamused:

smallcoal:
Wright mini mix from warmley in Bristol also goes under Bristol and bath concrete they have opened up a plant on Newport docks ,also s Morris also based in taunton

Thanks for the great pics John. :smiley: :wink:

bluenosebulls:
Can anybody remember the old cadbury odd looking tankkers they used to run, always remember the volvo fl10 with them on running through herefordshire?

Will have a look “bluenoseballs” :wink:

DEANB:
Thanks for the information about Bowkers Chris. Paul has been having a read as he sent these newer Bowker pics through

Marvellous, thank you very much to both of you!

Nice to see the rigids are still using the livery I drew up in the late 80s!

Good photo of the Hill Rowemaster DeanB, here’s one I took of it at a show in Cornwall in about 1991, still the best thread on here, keep it up.

A04356p.JPG

240 Gardner:

DEANB:

Marvellous, thank you very much to both of you!

Nice to see the rigids are still using the livery I drew up in the late 80s!

:laughing: :laughing: :wink: