PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

HRS:
Good morning Dean,
I dont know who the truck belongs to but, it is out side of the Frog & Frigate pub down the docks in Southampton.
3 storeys of what would have been bedrooms and living rooms many years ago it attracted some very interesting customers in its day, you needed to be very friendly when passing people on the narrow stairways, think thats what did for it in the end under H&S rules, whole pub was no more that 18 feet wide… all this i was told about of course.

That looks vaguely familiar - was that on Canute Road, heading down past Ocean Village towards the Itchen bridge?

I have no experience of anything made overseas but one haulier (who ran neither make) once told me that Volvo were a poor mans Scania! “Volvo use rivetted chassis, Scania are bolted and that’s a sign of quality!” he used to say, Volvo were perhaps cheaper to buy as well? To be fair many UK built trucks had trim (and especially seats!!! :unamused: ) that were not exactly built to last but I don’t think that would be the most importand criterior when purchasing a new truck! :confused:

Pete.
[/quote]
Hi Pete,
Allways liked the good banter about Scania and Volvo, another one was you have to have had a Scania first to appreciate a Volvo, and so on, good stuff.
Sorry but both use “cold press” rivets. they do heat up when squeezed but as they dont get so hot as fired rivets they dont leave so much gap when the cool down.
Leyland liked the bolts, nothing wrong with that but the slight risk of them coming loose, not so with rivets.
With the shortage of drivers to day a lot of companies will look at driver “likes” when looking at new motors, how much an hour would you want to drive an A series ERF to day, FULL TIME !!! Harvey

On the subject of chassis bolts , a firm I worked for had about 20 new AEC light 8 wheelers . The fleet engineer took every one in turn in the workshop and had the chassis bolts checked , 50% needs tightening and quite a few were scarcely more than finger tight .

HRS:
I have no experience of anything made overseas but one haulier (who ran neither make) once told me that Volvo were a poor mans Scania! “Volvo use rivetted chassis, Scania are bolted and that’s a sign of quality!” he used to say, Volvo were perhaps cheaper to buy as well? To be fair many UK built trucks had trim (and especially seats!!! :unamused: ) that were not exactly built to last but I don’t think that would be the most importand criterior when purchasing a new truck! :confused:

Pete.

Hi Pete,
Allways liked the good banter about Scania and Volvo, another one was you have to have had a Scania first to appreciate a Volvo, and so on, good stuff.
Sorry but both use “cold press” rivets. they do heat up when squeezed but as they dont get so hot as fired rivets they dont leave so much gap when the cool down.
Leyland liked the bolts, nothing wrong with that but the slight risk of them coming loose, not so with rivets.
With the shortage of drivers to day a lot of companies will look at driver “likes” when looking at new motors, how much an hour would you want to drive an A series ERF to day, FULL TIME !!! Harvey
[/quote]
I would prefer an A Series than the pile of crap that is a midlift automatic CF that i`m currently driving :wink:

JAKEY:
Thank you for the photo of the blue BRS scania and White trailer ,any one know what depot it was from ? :laughing:

:wink:

gazsa401:
The blue Scania 3 Series belonged to Clearway Distribution Nottingham
They ceased trading some years ago. Cheers Gary

Thanks for the name Gary. :wink:

Chris Webb:
Hi Dean.
The ERF with the Marks and Spencer fridge trailer is one of Gist.Chris “240” Gardner knows about them. :smiley:

Cheers Chris. :smiley:

ERF-NGC-European:
Yes indeed Dean, these 5MW-cabbed ERFs were an interesting alternative to the LV-cabbed ERFs: at least they were sleeper cabs! Robert.

Me.Paul.101:
“DEANB”]
Cant make the name out on the ERF ■■

Hi guy’s, The LV ERF straw transporter looks like possibly J Richards of Newent, I could of course be completely wrong. Looks like a tidy outfit whoever it is. I will show a mate of mine tomorrow as he was from over that way…Cheers, keep up the fantastic photo’s and chat. Always look forwards to looking in as you can never predict what’s coming next…

Thanks for the input Paul ! :laughing:

Retired Old ■■■■:
[“Me.Paul.101”]
I never thought of John Richards, Paul. He and I drank in the same watering hole many years ago. At that time he was asking my advice on whether or not to invest in some ex-BRS LAD Chieftain units with half a dozen Scammell-coupled trailers for his fledgling hay & straw business. I tried to put him off the idea due to the fact that he was planning on dropping the trailers in various Cotswold farmers’ fields and I pointed out that a) they weren’t suitable for dropping on a field where, if it rained heavily he may have to dig them out and b)I could imagine that stability would be a problem when he had loaded bales eight or nine high on such a vehicle. I never did find out if he took my advice as I politely refused his kind offer of becoming his transport manager (“Driver”, to me & you!) preferring instead the better-paid and easier work offered by BRS at Merrin End.
Silly note: On his nightly visits to the said premises, John would open the sliding driver’s door of his Morris LD van, whereupon his collie would leap out and they would race the final half mile to the bar. I don’t think John ever came first!

Thanks for your memories “ROF” :laughing:

[zb]
anorak:
“DEANB”]Watch out the Swede’s are coming ! :laughing: :laughing:
Two iconic trucks from the 1970’s, Volvo’s mighty F12 and Scania’s mighty 141 !
Will do a bit about these 2 in the near future.

The chrome 88 grille on the pre-production F12 looks cool.

The LS141 driver is lucky- there is daylight under the inside rear tyre of his trailer.

Must admit i never noticed the wheel off the ground Anorak ! :unamused:

Jelliot:
That Redlands Octopus with the concrete pipes… 2 ropes through the back pipes… I don’t think you could get away with that now…
Jeff…

I reckon your right Jeff. :wink:

HRS:
Good morning Dean,
I dont know who the truck belongs to but, it is out side of the Frog & Frigate pub down the docks in Southampton.
3 storeys of what would have been bedrooms and living rooms many years ago it attracted some very interesting customers in its day, you needed to be very friendly when passing people on the narrow stairways, think thats what did for it in the end under H&S rules, whole pub was no more that 18 feet wide… all this i was told about of course.
Windebank Haulage was owned by a chap called Arther Porter, ran out of Dundas Lane Portsmouth, finger in many pies as well as owning a Jeep Franchise.
Collected old trucks and kept them in a barn in the middle of a large field. A high chainlink fence arround the barn with 3 very unfriendly Rottweilers on 24-7 duty.
Note on the gate saying the padlock key is around one of the dogs necks, good luck. dont make um like that any more eh !! Harvey

Thanks for the information Harvey,the pub sounds like it was an intresting place ! :unamused: Iliked the bit about the
Rottweilers ! :laughing: :laughing:

240 Gardner:
“Retired Old ■■■■”]“Chris Webb”]Hi Dean.

The ERF with the Marks and Spencer fridge trailer is one of Gist.Chris “240” Gardner knows about them. :smiley:

Am I having delusional memories again, or did Gist used to be BOC and before that Baker’s?
[/quote]
Indeed I do, Mr Webb - I once wrote about a week of it, on another place we used to frequent!
And yes ROF, Gist was a re-brand of BOC Transhield, and G L Baker was also under the BOC umbrella. When I endured a few months with them in 2010, the smaller facility at Mayfield, Hemel Hempstead was actually was still branded as G L Baker.
The wider BOC DIstribution Services did have a go at ambient distribution in the 90s, when they took over Beecham Foods’ in-house distribution network, together with some of the interests of the Onward group and a little other traffic, but they made a complete pig’s breakfast of it and lost the Beecham business to Wincanton at the end of the first contract term, so that was the end of that.
Oh, and of course, they bought Spalding Haulage. That went well…
[/quote]

Thanks for the comments Chris. :smiley:

pv83:
“DEANB”]We have had alot of Crusaders on here.
Good to see this thread is going back to it’s former standard :wink:

Well i know how much you like those sheds chap so i thought i better pop a few on for you ! :laughing: :laughing:

Got another good brochure on them i will pop on sometime. :wink:

coomsey:
[“DEANB”]Any Leyland Octopus fans on here ! We have had a fair few on here.

Mine went like you know what off a shovel Dean nice n warm n ate Gardner’s n ■■■■■■■ for breakfast. But the reliability ■■?

Looks like you were the only Octopus fan “coomsey” :laughing: :laughing:

[zb]
anorak:
An interesting snippet from the Truck magazine article posted above:

volvo crit.JPG

Was that a valid criticism?

Of course it was not valid criticism,typical bloody truck magazine garbage ! They seriously had a problem with
Volvo trucks for some reason always built them up on a pedestal and then proceeded to know them back down. :wink:

windrush:
[ anorak]An interesting snippet from the Truck magazine article posted above:
Was that a valid criticism?

Pete.

Thanks for your comments Pete. :unamused:

(Rant time) :laughing: :laughing:

Obviously that haulier never knew what he was talking about,especially as he never
run either make :open_mouth: Probably wrote for truck magazine in his spare time ! :laughing:

Build quality of the 2 Swedes was far better than any other manufacturer of that era in my opinion. I am not saying
there were not other good makes obviously, but i think if you did a poll with European drivers of that era they would
both be at the top of the list.

I remember Ralph Davies telling me that the first run they did to Tashkent,they sent 2 x 143 Scania’s and 2 x F12 Volvos.

When they returned bearing in mind how bad the roads / tracks were the Scanias were in the workshop for 2 days being
repaired and the Volvos were in there one day ! :laughing: I hate to think how long certain makes would have been in the
garage.

You have to also take into consideration that Sweden has the most stringent saftey tests in Europe for vehicles that they
have to pass before they can be manufactured. From memory the cab test involved a 1.5 ton lump of concrete being
swung into the windscreen pillars and a lump of concrete being placed on the roof which weighed 7 tons !

When Volvo built the FH12 range they invested 600 million pounds on the development ! How people can question
the build quality is beyond me ! I dont believe there has been another manufacturer that has invested more time in
building a vehicle with driver saftey and comfort in mind.

Heres an article from 1978.

Click on pages twice to read.

bald:
Dean, once again, thank you for taking the time to putting it all on here, highly appreciated .

The electrical cover, the dash and grille did last actually quite long, I presume, because they were made of plastic in stead of metal, it might have given the first impression of being flimsy.
So, with hindsight (allways easier :wink:), I do not think it was valid.

Thanks for your input and comments “bald” :smiley: :wink:

rigsby:
On the subject of chassis bolts , a firm I worked for had about 20 new AEC light 8 wheelers . The fleet engineer took every one in turn in the workshop and had the chassis bolts checked , 50% needs tightening and quite a few were scarcely more than finger tight .

Sounds like dodgy build quality to me “rigsby” :laughing:

“Buzzer” has run transport all his life and had a large fleet of trucks. Funny enough the 2 makes he operated were wait
for it Volvo and Scania !!! :laughing:

Obviously Buzzer run them for a reason and i reckon they were the following. :wink:

1. Reliability.
    2.Build quality = reliability.
    3.Driver acceptance.
    4.Re sale value.

Omega Iveco

DCP_1227p.JPG

Anyone recognise the DAF tanker ■■

DCP_1225p.JPG

Tesco Scania

DCP_1277p.JPG

Cant make name out on the MAN ■■

P1001398p.JPG

Unigate Dairies ERF

DCP_1285p.JPG

Think it says Barrett on the Volvo.

P1001815p.JPG

Anyone recognise the Volvo ■■

P1002028p.JPG

Dolphin Packaging Scania from Poole.

P1002078p.JPG

Linde Lansing Scania

P1002265p.JPG

Bainbridge Volvo

P1002140p.JPG

Dean thanks for the mention, I have always believed it is most important what ever you buy, a house, new car or a truck you got to always look at the out door even on a rainy day when going through the in door. Always a consideration was reliability, service and parts backup, fuel economy and of course driver likeability the last being most important of late with a driver shortage, well at least of competent and loyal ones. Things have changed enormously since I got involved in transport and todays environment is not one I would relish, the good old days are long gone and I was in it when it was pleasurable as a lot on here were, we definitely had the good times even though it was tough but you just got on with it. By the way we did have a slight deviation and ran a few DAF’s for a while as well as the Volvo’s & Scania’s.
When we were at our peak we never ran any trucks more than three years buying ten or twelve new every year, extending the warranty for the whole life while with us and that way we never had any major bills, finance then was cheap as chjps so to me it was a no brainer back then and we could readily sell our old stock even though they were LHD something else we have specked from the early 90’s and still run today, glad to be retired now and just observe the proceedings from a distance, Buzzer

DEANB:
Omega Iveco

Anyone recognise the DAF tanker ■■
I’m no expert but the tanker looks like it’s in Colas colours or possibly Shell bitumen?

Tesco Scania

Cant make name out on the MAN ■■

Unigate Dairies ERF

Think it says Barrett on the Volvo.

Anyone recognise the Volvo ■■

Dolphin Packaging Scania from Poole.

Linde Lansing Scania

Bainbridge Volvo

ETS MAN. Were ETS a MAN dealer / garage ■■

P1002551p.JPG

Joseph Rice ERF and a ERF from a fun fair.

P1002532p.JPG

Moreton Cullimore ERF

P1002530p.JPG

Two Tarmac Volvos.

P1002529p.JPG

Anyone recognise the Scania 142 tanker ■■

P1002513p.JPG

Anyone recognise the DAF 1900 tipper ■■

P1002492p.JPG

A.R.R. Craib DAF

P1002474p.JPG

Hicks DAF from South Wales.

P1002409p.JPG

Broadleaze Transport Magnum.

P1002361p.JPG

Servosteel Renault.

P1002274p.JPG

DEANB:

JAKEY:
Thank you for the photo of the blue BRS scania and White trailer ,any one know what depot it was from ? :laughing:

gazsa401:
The blue Scania 3 Series belonged to Clearway Distribution Nottingham
They ceased trading some years ago. Cheers Gary

Thanks for the name Gary. :wink:

Chris Webb:
Hi Dean.

Cheers Chris. :smiley:

ERF-NGC-European:
Yes indeed Dean, these 5MW-cabbed ERFs were an interesting alternative to the LV-cabbed ERFs: at least they were sleeper cabs! Robert.

Me.Paul.101:
“DEANB”]
Cant make the name out on the ERF ■■

Hi guy’s, The LV ERF straw transporter looks like possibly J Richards of Newent, I could of course be completely wrong. Looks like a tidy outfit whoever it is. I will show a mate of mine tomorrow as he was from over that way…Cheers, keep up the fantastic photo’s and chat. Always look forwards to looking in as you can never predict what’s coming next…

Thanks for the input Paul ! :laughing:

Retired Old ■■■■:
[“Me.Paul.101”]
I never thought of John Richards, Paul. He and I drank in the same watering hole many years ago. At that time he was asking my advice on whether or not to invest in some ex-BRS LAD Chieftain units with half a dozen Scammell-coupled trailers for his fledgling hay & straw business. I tried to put him off the idea due to the fact that he was planning on dropping the trailers in various Cotswold farmers’ fields and I pointed out that a) they weren’t suitable for dropping on a field where, if it rained heavily he may have to dig them out and b)I could imagine that stability would be a problem when he had loaded bales eight or nine high on such a vehicle. I never did find out if he took my advice as I politely refused his kind offer of becoming his transport manager (“Driver”, to me & you!) preferring instead the better-paid and easier work offered by BRS at Merrin End.
Silly note: On his nightly visits to the said premises, John would open the sliding driver’s door of his Morris LD van, whereupon his collie would leap out and they would race the final half mile to the bar. I don’t think John ever came first!

Thanks for your memories “ROF” :laughing:

[zb]
anorak:
“DEANB”]Watch out the Swede’s are coming ! :laughing: :laughing:
Two iconic trucks from the 1970’s, Volvo’s mighty F12 and Scania’s mighty 141 !
Will do a bit about these 2 in the near future.

The chrome 88 grille on the pre-production F12 looks cool.

The LS141 driver is lucky- there is daylight under the inside rear tyre of his trailer.

Must admit i never noticed the wheel off the ground Anorak ! :unamused:

Jelliot:
That Redlands Octopus with the concrete pipes… 2 ropes through the back pipes… I don’t think you could get away with that now…
Jeff…

I reckon your right Jeff. :wink:

HRS:
Good morning Dean,
Windebank Haulage was owned by a chap called Arther Porter, ran out of Dundas Lane Portsmouth, finger in many pies as well as owning a Jeep Franchise.
Collected old trucks and kept them in a barn in the middle of a large field. A high chainlink fence arround the barn with 3 very unfriendly Rottweilers on 24-7 duty.
Note on the gate saying the padlock key is around one of the dogs necks, good luck. dont make um like that any more eh !! Harvey

Thanks for the information Harvey,the pub sounds like it was an intresting place ! :unamused: Iliked the bit about the
Rottweilers ! :laughing: :laughing:

240 Gardner:
“Retired Old ■■■■”]“Chris Webb”]Hi Dean.

Am I having delusional memories again, or did Gist used to be BOC and before that Baker’s?

Indeed I do, Mr Webb - I once wrote about a week of it, on another place we used to frequent!
And yes ROF, Gist was a re-brand of BOC Transhield, and G L Baker was also under the BOC umbrella. When I endured a few months with them in 2010, the smaller facility at Mayfield, Hemel Hempstead was actually was still branded as G L Baker.
The wider BOC DIstribution Services did have a go at ambient distribution in the 90s, when they took over Beecham Foods’ in-house distribution network, together with some of the interests of the Onward group and a little other traffic, but they made a complete pig’s breakfast of it and lost the Beecham business to Wincanton at the end of the first contract term, so that was the end of that.
Oh, and of course, they bought Spalding Haulage. That went well…
[/quote]

Thanks for the comments Chris. :smiley:

pv83:
“DEANB”]We have had alot of Crusaders on here.
Good to see this thread is going back to it’s former standard :wink:

Well i know how much you like those sheds chap so i thought i better pop a few on for you ! :laughing: :laughing:

Got another good brochure on them i will pop on sometime. :wink:

coomsey:
[“DEANB”]Any Leyland Octopus fans on here ! We have had a fair few on here.

Mine went like you know what off a shovel Dean nice n warm n ate Gardner’s n ■■■■■■■ for breakfast. But the reliability ■■?

Looks like you were the only Octopus fan “coomsey” :laughing: :laughing:
[/quote]
Don’t make me wrong tho Dean ! :unamused:

Scrawny old neck on the block here ! I mostly drove ERF,FODEN N AKKY in the 70s but by far n away the best motors I’ve driven have been Leyland in just about every way bar the headless wonder,n even that one earned me substantially more than the others. Cheers coomsey

Please dont post on here for the next 15 minutes as about to pop some stuff on ! :wink:

We have had a fair few Volvo F7’s on here chaps.

A01563.JPG

A01566.JPG

Lyons Volvo.JPG

A01732.JPG

A01782.JPG

A02165.JPG

A03706p.JPG

A02178.JPG

A01821.JPG

A01822.JPG

Volvo F7 released in 1978 to replace the popular Volvo F86.

Click on pages twice to read.

Volvo F7 brochure.

Click on twice to read.

Some more F7’s.

A01835.JPG

A01848.JPG

A01932.JPG

A02239.JPG

A02745.JPG

A02753.JPG

A02780.JPG

A02801.JPG