PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

DEANB:
I

“moomooland” How about this one Paul. Blackpool Van Transport’s Atkinson.

With all the stickers, this must be Gunnar Plits’ motor

DEANB:
F.C.Bennett & Sons / Interoute.

An earlier Bennett motor:

As I recall, the Interoute name outlived the Bennett operation by many years. If I remember rightly, Bennett sold out to United Transport. I do remember that they had a depot at Coppull too

DEANB:
Tilbury’s were a Dodge dealer in outhampton and Winchester looking at the side of the Atkinson wrecker.

I think that this is the same motor:

GVO293J Atkinson Borderer Wrecker J Stirland by dave, on Flickr
1971 Atkinson Borderer Recovery. Reg. No. GVO 293J by Classic Chatter, on Flickr

DEANB:
“240gardner” Chris one of Thomas Allens DAF’s.

Thank you Dean!

240 Gardner:

DEANB:

Thank you Dean!

Thanks for those great shots, Regards Larry.

You are right to ask that question, Dean, about why Framptons bought ERF 5MWs rather than 7MWs. My theory is that as they bought RHD moderately-powered units, they were only interested in the sleeper-cabs. The 5MW lower-powered versions were much cheaper so that would have kept the accountant happy! Only my opinion, so open to real knowledge. Robert

L4081p.JPG

2017-07-20%2009.54.13.jpg
13930420981_264166af6a_z.jpg
A00105.JPG
Capture5.PNG
framptons 5mw frigo.jpeg

framptons 5MW again.jpg

240 Gardner:

DEANB:

Thank you Dean![

Wonder if it was Pyle based ? MT

DEANB:
I reckon “pete359” will like this one. :laughing:

J & M Transport Transcon from South Wales.

“Buzzer” I reckon you will remember these fruit importers from Southampton.
T.J.Poupart Seddon. I think they also had a depot in Bristol from memory.

“Harvey” A cracking pic of Wareham Transports Atkinson Defender that you will no doubt remember.
I can remember seeing this motor down Poole docks as a kid.

Robert apparently Framptons had two of these. I wonder why they never bought the NGC model
bearing in mind how much European work they did ■■

Any idea who the AEC tanker belongs to Chris Webb ■■? :unamused: It could do with a wash ! :laughing:

“Daz” Blue Circle Cement Routeman in the wet.Thank you Dean Mark Paul for thinking of me would you know which Blue Circle Cement works this Routeman was based at Geat old photos of old school companys Kind Regards Daz :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

“PV83” Patrick think it says Smith on the door of the F12. Ring any bells with you ? What sort of weight
do you think that machine would weigh ■■

“FLOURPOWER” Hovis Foden.

“pete smith” One of Kendricks Fodens from your part of the world i believe.

DEANB:
I reckon “pete359” will like this one. :laughing:

J & M Transport Transcon from South Wales.

“Buzzer” I reckon you will remember these fruit importers from Southampton.
T.J.Poupart Seddon. I think they also had a depot in Bristol from memory.

“Harvey” A cracking pic of Wareham Transports Atkinson Defender that you will no doubt remember.
I can remember seeing this motor down Poole docks as a kid.

Robert apparently Framptons had two of these. I wonder why they never bought the NGC model
bearing in mind how much European work they did ■■

Any idea who the AEC tanker belongs to Chris Webb ■■? :unamused: It could do with a wash ! :laughing: Dean i would say this AEC tanker started life brand new with Shell UK back in the day going by the reg plate HYR then later sold on to a small fry company for a while

“Daz” Blue Circle Cement Routeman in the wet.

“PV83” Patrick think it says Smith on the door of the F12. Ring any bells with you ? What sort of weight
do you think that machine would weigh ■■

“FLOURPOWER” Hovis Foden.

“pete smith” One of Kendricks Fodens from your part of the world i believe.

Morning Dean,
Cracking shot of one of Kendricks hard worked Foden’s, Cheer’s Pete

L2731p.JPG

Chris Webb:
Hi Dean,another nice selection,thanks.
The AEC tanker looks like ex petrol company,London C C reg plate,and was just the sort of thing A E Evans ran,except it isn’t one of theirs.

The Volvo with low loader is one of Smiths from Scotter which is on the A159 between Gainsborough and Scunthorpe. I used that road quite a lot when running Staveley - Immingham via Worksop and Retford,just for a change - and to dodge silent checkers in Doncaster if running a bit late……………. :laughing:

JWQ Transport had a depot in Sheerness I think,but were maybe Swindon based.Ran a lot of rebar IIRC.

And I loaded oranges off P J Poupart once or twice late 60s when on market work.Good loading as a couple of lads helped you.

Going for a lie down now. :laughing:

Hi Chris,
Smiths from Scotter ran a some Sed Ak Strato’s later on and the last one I saw of those was in Cardiff was a Daf? driven by a Polish lad looking for Tremorfa steelworks, struggling to understand so I rang a Polish mate of mine to give him the lingo direct! Cheer’s Pete

Thank you Dean/Paul.

Morning all,
How many of you have , in the latter part of your driving days, met a young lad who knows everything about driving that you would love to sit in a truck with one of these boxes and say: go on son, show me how good you are then. Harvey.
PS, there are 8 pages in this booklet, will post if anyone is interesed.
[/quote]
Cant stand automatics personally,much prefer gears.Some of the early autos were particularly bad Harvey.
Had a MAN and a DAF that would eventually go when pulling off on a roundabout or junction about 30 seconds
after you actually wanted to pull away,poxy crap. The only good one i have driven is the Volvo I shift. :wink:

Sorry Dean, The booklet is on “Fuller” transmissions.
All the RT models and the Roadranger were Constant mesh stick changers, well before the semi and full auto’s.
You are far to young to remember such things as rolling a ■■■ in between changes and “had to stop and start again”.
Had to show a young lad (who had a cap with the peek at the back) how to use a 12 speed twin splitter on an ERF one day, all i can say is, he survived only because I am religious.
Harvey

Dean think that could have been one of Clapcotts who pulled black oil out of Fawley, also I think it may be taken in Shirley high street, Southampton and I may have bought sausages in that Baxters butcher shop before I started making my own. Buzzer

L3970p.JPG

Dean I have delivered many times to T.J.Pouparts in the old Southampton fruit market which now does not exist any more all that has gon and now has been developed, there are two main fruit wholesalers now who both operate out of Nursling Industrial estate on the western side of town.When you did pouparts it was a one way system in off the high street which was tight for an artic and through the building and out the back end which was also a tight left hander, Buzzer

soton.jpg

Buzzer:
Dean think that could have been one of Clapcotts who pulled black oil out of Fawley, also I think it may be taken in Shirley high street, Southampton and I may have bought sausages in that Baxters butcher shop before I started making my own. Buzzer

I forgot about Clapcotts Buzzer,they ran a lot of AEC tankers.I know somebody who could maybe confirm that it’s one of theirs.They were from Poole I think?

Those boys that delivered the bus chassis must have had a screw loose, rain or shine they would be belting up and down the road.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The driver was called Gunnar Plitts
He was a large Polish fellow who regularly decorated his cab, much to the disapproval of owner Peter Haworth :slight_smile:

Pic 5 (2)-001.jpgHere’s another of their Atki’s that he drove.

There is a recent post with plenty of info regarding Blackpool Van Transport HERE

HRS:
Morning all,
How many of you have , in the latter part of your driving days, met a young lad who knows everything about driving that you would love to sit in a truck with one of these boxes and say: go on son, show me how good you are then. Harvey.
PS, there are 8 pages in this booklet, will post if anyone is interesed.

Cant stand automatics personally,much prefer gears.Some of the early autos were particularly bad Harvey.
Had a MAN and a DAF that would eventually go when pulling off on a roundabout or junction about 30 seconds
after you actually wanted to pull away,poxy crap. The only good one i have driven is the Volvo I shift. :wink:

Sorry Dean, The booklet is on “Fuller” transmissions.
All the RT models and the Roadranger were Constant mesh stick changers, well before the semi and full auto’s.
You are far to young to remember such things as rolling a ■■■ in between changes and “had to stop and start again”.
Had to show a young lad (who had a cap with the peek at the back) how to use a 12 speed twin splitter on an ERF one day, all i can say is, he survived only because I am religious.
Harvey
[/quote]
Quite a bit younger than you but i agree totally with your opinion on auto boxes i hate 'em

I had 9-speed Fuller in a Leyland Marathon,a 13 speed Fuller in a Ford Transcontinental and a twin splitter in an ERF E14 and took to all three like a duck to watter. All great boxes. :sunglasses: